Intel Core i7-2600K vs Intel Core i7-4770K

Go to solution Solved by BiG StroOnZ,

Going from a 2600k to a 4770k is a waste of time and money. The 4770k doesn't offer any distinguishable performances increases over a 2600k besides when running synthetic benchmarks and even then the increases in performance are minimal. 

If you have a 2600k @ 4.4-4.8GHz it should easily carry you through until Skylake.

Wait until Skylake to upgrade. 

Hi guys!
I'm in the process of planning my next build. and i'm currently at a hold.
Well this thread is a desperate call for help, i'm looking for a replacement for my 2600k. 
My plan is for the new build to last 4 years, so i'm going high end'ish. With that said, looking at the benchmarks for the 2600k vs the 4770k i quickly went full potato mode. 
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2600K+%40+3.40GHz

So if anyone could enlighten what the real benefits would be to upgrade to a 4770k from a 2600k. The benchmark made me really skeptical, seeing as it wasn't too much of a performance leap?
BTW: I will probably not start buying anything before the new Nvidia series release. so i'm not in a rush.  :ph34r: 

Thanks in advance!

Go 4790K instead if you can.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You're right in there not being much of a performance leap. Unless you know you will make use of AVX2 or something or need better integrated graphics I'd stay put with 2600K.

Hi guys!

I'm in the process of planning my next build. and i'm currently at a hold.

Well this thread is a desperate call for help, i'm looking for a replacement for my 2600k. 

My plan is for the new build to last 4 years, so i'm going high end'ish. With that said, looking at the benchmarks for the 2600k vs the 4770k i quickly went full potato mode. 

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2600K+%40+3.40GHz

So if anyone could enlighten what the real benefits would be to upgrade to a 4770k from a 2600k. The benchmark made me really skeptical, seeing as it wasn't too much of a performance leap?

BTW: I will probably not start buying anything before the new Nvidia series release. so i'm not in a rush.  :ph34r: 

Thanks in advance!

when overclocked the 2600k will be as fast 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

CPU's haven't really been moving forward lately. They haven't really had the need too. Your CPU is fine for a couple years unless something drastic happens.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

If I were you, I'd just stick with the 2600K for a little while longer. In terms of gaming performance, there really isn't that much improvement in the past couple of Intel generations, so I see absolutely no reason to spend the ~$450-500 on a new platform (CPU+mobo/etc)..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Stick with the 2600k until broadwell.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Going from a 2600k to a 4770k is a waste of time and money. The 4770k doesn't offer any distinguishable performances increases over a 2600k besides when running synthetic benchmarks and even then the increases in performance are minimal. 

If you have a 2600k @ 4.4-4.8GHz it should easily carry you through until Skylake.

Wait until Skylake to upgrade. 

If I remember right, then @Slick is still using a 2600k as well. Unless he is upgrading for his current build.

Thanks for the feedback guys. guess i'm going to delay the Cpu and Mb upgrade