Use optical audio out as in?

I have a problem... I have a speaker system that I want to use with me Xbox One, I also use the same system for my PC. In the past I had the Xbox running off my PC's monitor as a second input, my monitor has a audio out for HMDI, so I ran that to my PC's line in, the speaker system would then plug into my PC as normal. Now however, I have moved the Xbox to a new spot, with a new TV, and it doesn't have an audio out option for HDMI.

My question is, can I use my MOBO's (Z77 MPOWER MSI) optical audio out, as an audio in, like a line in, and run that to the Xbox's audio out? I know this reduces the quality back down but I don't care, I just want audio.
If not, my only other option I can think of is getting a HDMI audio Extractor thingy.

And no, my speaker system (5.1) does not have optical in... :(

"Mentally Unstable Like a Fox!"

For the Xbox 360 you could get a plug that plugged into the component out on the Xbox  so you could have sound through a headset. you may be able to get the same thing for the hdmi on the XBox One.

Does the Xbox One even support 5.1 surround sound?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the Xbox One supports dolby digital 7.1 since the march update.

I have resolved the issue, I got a Digital Optical to Analogue converter (Optical out of Xbox, converted to line in on my PC). This has a down side though. The Xbox One has the ability to adjust the volume of the TV, change channel and turn it on/off etc.
So if my TV had a HDMI audio out, I could turn down my speakers from the Xbox/TV. With the Digital Optical to Analogue converter I have to get up and turn down the knob on the speaker system.

"Mentally Unstable Like a Fox!"