Video Card Made The Sound Turn Off?

atomicmonkey101

HI Everyone,

I plugged in an old GTX 210 and now my computers internal speakers will not play any sound. Any ideas? I looked around in the video card settings and in the sound options in the control panel. 

Any Advice is greatly appreaciated. 

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Have you tried unplugging the video card to see if it brings the sound back?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

nope. Probably should try that. Can you think of anything that I might just have to "switch" and it will work?

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

But yeah I will try that when i get the chance. I am in a bit of a difficult situation in terms of being able to do that.

nope. Probably should try that. Can you think of anything that I might just have to "switch" and it will work?

To be honest it is the first time I've heard of a video card being plugged in and turning the sound off, I can't think of anything right now

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

To be honest it is the first time I've heard of a video card being plugged in and turning the sound off, I can't think of anything right now

Thanks anyway. I will try your first suggestion when I can.

Right click your volume controll, click playback devices, and make sure your speakers are set to default.

My Rig: CPU: 3570k@4.4Ghz | GPU: XFX r9 270x | Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2133 | Cooler: Hyper 212+

PSU: OCZ 700w | Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z | Headphones: AD700 | Case: NZXT M59 | Monitor: 144hz 1080p

Could be the audio driver

If you have digital audio out via video card (like HDMI) it could very well be that this has been set to default audio out.

Go to control panel -> sound -> under playback, select Speakers as default device. (Or what ever is right for you)

Also there is no GTX 210, do you mean a G 210?

Right click your volume controll, click playback devices, and make sure your speakers are set to default.

my speakers aren't even showing up.

Also there is no GTX 210, do you mean a G 210?

GT 210 I guess. I borrowed it from a friend.

GT 210 I guess. I borrowed it from a friend.

Ahh makes sense, I've had a go on one of those and quite liked it considering the tiny price and a decent upgrade on integrated :)

my speakers aren't even showing up.

Right click on it and make sure 'show disabled devices' and 'show disconnected devices' are checked. If they still don't show up check if you can see your sound card in your device manager.

My Rig: CPU: 3570k@4.4Ghz | GPU: XFX r9 270x | Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 | RAM: 16GB DDR3 2133 | Cooler: Hyper 212+

PSU: OCZ 700w | Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z | Headphones: AD700 | Case: NZXT M59 | Monitor: 144hz 1080p

I think this belongs in the Troubleshooting section.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

HI Everyone,

I plugged in an old GTX 210 and now my computers internal speakers will not play any sound. Any ideas? I looked around in the video card settings and in the sound options in the control panel. 

Any Advice is greatly appreaciated. 

Moved to troubleshooting

It sounds like your audio is being routed to the HDMI on the video card. You'll need to check the settings for your video card and/or audio driver to make sure it's set for speaker out.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

I've seen this before try unplugging the Graphics card see if the sound comes back! Also check in device manager and update your Audio drivers :) 

FX 8350 Black Edition 4.2Ghz

Palit GTX 580 1.5gb

H80i ,TX850, Corsair 300R

Make sure the integrated audio is enabled in the bios.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Go to device manager then sound, video and game controllers (strange combination but hey) then check whether the integrated audio (probably Realtek) has a ! by it or an X or down arrow on the icon. If it's got an ! or X, you need to right click -> properties -> troubleshoot, and if it has a down arrow, just right click -> enable. If it doesn't appear at all, you have got problems at a hardware or BIOS level.

HTTP/2 203

Are you using an HDMi cable?

If you're this may be an issue with nVidia's HD audio driver conflicting with your integrated audio solution.