TV as a monitor

hammerslap1

are TVs hard to run? i see a store selling a 50" led rca for $399 which id like to use connected with my computer but want to know if my 780 would run it

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

Not hard to run, should be fine, It's about resolution mostly. Remember that there's gonna be more input lag with a TV so it's not ideal for gaming or anything.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

i wouldnt use it for gameing i have a 27" that i game on but as a seperate screen for watching movies.

it is a 1080p tv

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

i wouldnt use it for gameing i have a 27" that i game on but as a seperate screen for watching movies.

it is a 1080p tv

Should be just fine :) 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

your 780 would run it just fine. as a general rule most TVs have deeper blacks than computer monitors but they also have much more input lag, some as bad as three frames of input lag. those with a gaming mode aren't as bad, and if you disable the image processing manually(which the gaming mode does) then it isn't an entirely awful option for gaming on a PC.

I would not recommend sittting closer than 6 feet though, as the pixels will be very noticable and distracting. would be good for couch gaming.

lol maybe i grab 3 of em and run em like barnacules lol.

Barnacules has big monitors though haha 

Yup its fine. It's 1080p like a regular monitor. Just make sure that the TV has a PC compatible input and configurable settings.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lol that just didn't look right

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Yup its fine. It's 1080p like a regular monitor. Just make sure that the TV has a PC compatible input and configurable settings.

yeah 2 hdmi inputs

Barnacules has big monitors though haha 

no he is using 46" tvs from costco

yeah 2 hdmi inputs

Is he? In his latest vlog i thought he said monitors :P 

he does indeed have a monitor above and another monitor on his onther rig but the 3 big ones are TVs

yeah 2 hdmi inputs

Using a PC with standard tv HDMI inputs gives a very distorted image. Completely unusable.

If the tv has a VGA input then you can use that for 1080p. My tv has a special HDMI-1 port that can be used as a PC input by renaming it to 'PC'

Not all tvs have this. The best you can do is check google to see if anyone else is using that particular tv as a monitor, or see if the tv HDMI inputs are PC compatible. Usually smart tvs will have a PC compatible input setting, not sure about the one you are planning to get.

Just for reference, I have a samsung series 6.5 55" LED smart tv that has VGA input plus the special HDMI port.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Using a PC with standard tv HDMI inputs gives a very distorted image. Completely unusable.

If the tv has a VGA input then you can use that for 1080p. My tv has a special HDMI-1 port that can be used as a PC input by renaming it to 'PC'

Not all tvs have this. The best you can do is check google to see if anyone else is using that particular tv as a monitor, or see if the tv HDMI inputs are PC compatible. Usually smart tvs will have a PC compatible input setting, not sure about the one you are planning to get.

Just for reference, I have a samsung series 6.5 55" LED smart tv that has VGA input plus the special HDMI port.

Please, do not listen to this guy. DO NOT use VGA!

Using VGA will actually in most cases increase the input lag because both the graphics card and the TV will have to convert the signal.

First from digital to analog in the graphics card, then from analog to digital in the TV.

If the picture doesn't look right when using HDMI, then there is probably some settings that is wrong or a case of a bad/broken HDMI cable.

There is no such thing as a "special" HDMI port that you should use for PC connection.

Your GTX 780 will have no problem running the TV as the resolution is only standard 1080p.

Spoiler

Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Asus ROG X99 - 5820K - 16GB G.Skill - Swiftech H220 - Noctua NF-F12 - 1TB 840/850 EVO - GTX 980Ti SLI

Mad Catz R.A.T. Pro X - Bla

ckwidow Chroma - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - Breeze Audio Class D amp - Dynavoice speakers - Acer X34 Preadator - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift

Please, do not listen to this guy. DO NOT use VGA!

Using VGA will actually in most cases increase the input lag because both the graphics card and the TV will have to convert the signal.

First from digital to analog in the graphics card, then from analog to digital in the TV.

If the picture doesn't look right when using HDMI, then there is probably some settings that is wrong or a case of a bad/broken HDMI cable.

There is no such thing as a "special" HDMI port that you should use for PC connection.

Your GTX 780 will have no problem running the TV as the resolution is only standard 1080p.

Wow you're rude...

Have you actually tried using a TV with a PC? Obviously not. If you have no experience using something then don't make it look like you know anything about it.

First of all, you're wrong about VGA. The graphics card and tv/monitor need to convert signal to screen whether it is digital or analogue signal. It's not like you can connect HDMI direclt yo a LCD panel and have it work. That is not how displays work. There is circuitry to convert the 0s and 1s to images on a screen whatever cable you use. So you're wrong, VGA will not cause more input lag than any other cable.

There are LOTS of issues using a TV with a PC through HDMI which you've obviously never done. Here are some of many threads about it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267972-33-1080-hdmi-hdmi-connected-quality

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1646619/horrible-quality-hdmi-hdmi.html

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=35478

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/145-htpc-gaming/1326722-pc-connected-hdtv-via-hdmi-very-dark-picture-saturated-colour.html

The issue is the TV is treating the PC input as a regular television signal, which has different signal encoding. This can lead to darker image, improper scaling, fuzzy pixelations, wrong saturation, etc...

To fix this you need to rename the tv input to 'PC' or use the dedicated VGA connector for PC.

Since you have no experience on this matter I suggest you gtfo and stfu.

Spoiler

Wow you're rude...

Have you actually tried using a TV with a PC? Obviously not. If you have no experience using something then don't make it look like you know anything about it.

First of all, you're wrong about VGA. The graphics card and tv/monitor need to convert signal to screen whether it is digital or analogue signal. It's not like you can connect HDMI direclt yo a LCD panel and have it work. That is not how displays work. There is circuitry to convert the 0s and 1s to images on a screen whatever cable you use. So you're wrong, VGA will not cause more input lag than any other cable.

There are LOTS of issues using a TV with a PC through HDMI which you've obviously never done. Here are some of many threads about it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267972-33-1080-hdmi-hdmi-connected-quality

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1646619/horrible-quality-hdmi-hdmi.html

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=35478

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/145-htpc-gaming/1326722-pc-connected-hdtv-via-hdmi-very-dark-picture-saturated-colour.html

The issue is the TV is treating the PC input as a regular television signal, which has different signal encoding. This can lead to darker image, improper scaling, fuzzy pixelations, wrong saturation, etc...

To fix this you need to rename the tv input to 'PC' or use the dedicated VGA connector for PC.

Since you have no experience on this matter I suggest you gtfo and stfu.

I might have been a little harsh when i said to not listen to you. I am deeply sorry for hurting your feelings.

As for my experience with using a TV as a monitor for my PC, it goes back so long that my first HTPC setup involved S-VHS cable from my Geforce FX 5200 connected to a 32" tube TV.

Yes, i'm old. My current setup is a 55" Sony connected via HDMI!

As for making you understand that VGA is obsolete and need to die, Linus has made a video explaining all this for you on Techquickie. 

VGA isn't even supported on newer AMD graphics card.

Renaming the input??? WHAT!? Are you trolling?

Spoiler

Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Asus ROG X99 - 5820K - 16GB G.Skill - Swiftech H220 - Noctua NF-F12 - 1TB 840/850 EVO - GTX 980Ti SLI

ckwidow Chroma - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - Breeze Audio Class D amp - Dynavoice speakers - Acer X34 Preadator - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift

I might have been a little harsh when i said to not listen to you. I am deeply sorry for hurting your feelings.

As for my experience with using a TV as a monitor for my PC, it goes back so long that my first HTPC setup involved S-VHS cable from my Geforce FX 5200 connected to a 32" tube TV.

Yes, i'm old. My current setup is a 55" Sony connected via HDMI!

As for making you understand that VGA is obsolete and need to die, Linus has made a video explaining all this for you on Techquickie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f38sotYHqtA

VGA isn't even supported on newer AMD graphics card.

Renaming the input??? WHAT!? Are you trolling?

VGA only sucks for resolutions over 1080p and frequencies over 60Hz. For 1080p 60Hz it performs just as well as a digital cable.

Also renaming the HDMI input is how it works for samsung TVs at least...

Another issue is the fake frames that most tvs use to do 120, 240, 480, or 960Hz

You cannot use a PC with a TV that has this enabled...and by renaming the input the TV knows to disable this feature.

Is your 55" tv a smart TV? does it do more than 60Hz? Does it have VGA input?

Spoiler

As it happens my parents own a 8000 series Samsung smart TV.

And i have connected 4 different laptops to it using HDMI with no issues.

They also have an older 40" LCD Samsung in the guestroom which, surprise surprise, neither have any issues using HDMI.

The option of renaming the input on the TV is there so the user easier can differentiate the input. Be it a DVD player, an Xbox, a PC or whatever else you have.

Renaming the input does NOTHING.

The update frequenzies that the TV makers give you is BS. What that frequency refers to is usually how "fast" the image processor in the TV is. And this is where most of the input lag in a TV comes in.

The display is 60Hz regardless of what they say.

We probably won't see TV's with higher refresh rate than 60Hz/fps until OLED gets more mature.

The fastest displays we have now are only able to display 120Hz to 144Hz.

No, my TV isn't a smart TV. And it is a 60Hz panel like every other TV. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL-55EX500-55-Inch-Black/dp/B0035ER1IW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408217698&sr=1-3&keywords=kdl+55+ex

Currently i own a Dell 3008WFP and a 24" Benq monitor and have ordered and are waiting for the new Asus ROG swift for my gaming PC.

(edit, the link was wrong.)

Spoiler