How can a virus damage my hardware !?

alphabeta

Overvolting your components and stressing them to 100%, shutting down all fans, etc. It's not common, but it has been known to happen.

Very few infection malware are that low level, most often they will just waste system resources and slow you down by doing what they want to do instead. 

How !?

It is very rare, but some viruses can alter the voltages of components, perhaps overclocking your CPU or turning off fail safes but very very very unlikely to occur

Most viruses just use up system resources taking up ram or hard drive space by running processes in the background.

Some viruses can encrypt your data preventing you accessing your files, the hackers then attempt to ransom you back the decrptyion key, but they just delete it and steal your money

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well a virus is just a program and people can program them to affect hardware. A mate of mine made a virus that would shutdown the CPU fan about 10 years ago or so, with Intel it doesn't really do much because of the failsafes like throttling or shutting down but older AMD chips didn't throttle so they eventually burnt out.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Overvolting your components and stressing them to 100%, shutting down all fans, etc. It's not common, but it has been known to happen.

can they overvolt?

as far as i know they can only increase load to 100%

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

can they overvolt?

as far as i know they can only increase load to 100%

It depends on what kind of access they have. But let me put it this way: There are programs that you can use to overclock your components, so voltage can be regulated in the OS and doesn't have to be changed in the BIOS necessarily (the whole "shutting off fans" thing is definitely possible as well). If a virus did the same thing but against your will then it could do that, yes. It would be way more complicated to actually deactivate the safety measures on your CPU (like thermal throttling and protection against extreme overvoltage), but a virus could kill a CPU or a GPU over time.

If they stress the hard drive and other components inside they may be able to wear it out, causing the computer an early death, especially in laptops when heat is a large problem

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)