New cellphone in Scotland

MCmcginness

Hey, my brother is going to university in Scotland in the next few months and consequently needs a new phone. He currently uses a iphone 4, so any newish phone is an upgrade. He has a few questions. Do you bring your own phone and they give you a UK sim card or do you have to buy the phone there? Who are some good cell phone service providers? He is going to school at the university of Edenbourgho (I know I spelled it bad) in Edenbourgho. The budget it for the phone would about 400 usd. 

Thanks for the help

CPU, 8350 @ 4.3 ghz | CPU COOLER, Hyper 212 EVO | ,MOBO, Gigabyte UD3 AM3+ 990FX | RAM, 8 gb  G.Skill ripjaw 1866mhz | GPUASUS 7970 | CASE, Corsair 230T black and red STORAGE, WD caviar blue 1 TB 7200 rpm | PSU, XFX 750 watt 80+ gold | Keyboard, K70 mx blue (black/red) | Mouse Razer naga hex, | Monitors, Asus VG248QE 24in 1080p, Dell 24in monitor 1080p |

Hey, my brother is going to university in Scotland in the next few months and consequently needs a new phone. He currently uses a iphone 4, so any newish phone is an upgrade. He has a few questions. Do you bring your own phone and they give you a UK sim card or do you have to buy the phone there? Who are some good cell phone service providers? He is going to school at the university of Edenbourgho (I know I spelled it bad) in Edenbourgho. The budget it for the phone would about 400 usd. 

Thanks for the help

If the phone is unlocked, then you can just pop in a UK SIM card and it will work. Best phone to get for that price right now is probably the Nexus 5. It's a great phone, fits in the budget well, and pretty much assured compatibility in the UK since it comes factory unlocked. 

"Rawr XD"

I live in Scotland and I would recommend 3 as they are cheap. Why are they so cheap you ask. Well they only have 3g networks but there is still as good or better coverage as any other provider and LTE at no extra cost!

It's spelt Edinburgh. You get LTE there.