Only 2 of the 4 cores running

x6tr2ni
Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

The cores came back. After initially thinking resetting the BIOS didn't seem to work, I reentered my overclocks, rebooted, and now I see all 8 threads again. Maybe resetting the BIOS was the fix after all, since I doubt it was the overclock. Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone! I was worried I would need to get a new CPU, that wouldn't of been fun xD

good for you dont forget to mark solved on the right of your reply

I run an i7 3770k on the Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard.

I was away from my computer for about 2 month, I came back yesterday and updated Windows. Afterwards I noticed that my CPU usage was around 80% just browsing the internet, so I checked Task Manager and CPU-Z and noticed that only 2 of my 4 Cores (4 threads) are working. I know for sure that before I left all 4 cores 8 threads were working perfectly. I'm not sure if it was due to some update or if the cores just died while I was away. Need help! I read some stuff on google about updating my BIOS, would that be the best course of action?

they may be parked look up how to check/fix that.

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

Did you change your energy plan? Parked cores, only remain as such, when they aren't needed to conserve power, but will be made active, when they are indeed needed. Parked cores typically only happens on power plans designed to decrease energy consumption.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

That... is nothing I've ever seen. I'm gonna follow this thread closely, in hopes someone can 1) explain wtf is going on, and 2) explain a fix for it.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

reset the BIOS

or load the default setting for the BIOS

but remember to revert back to AHCI

it could be the BIOS setting was messed up

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

reset the BIOS

or load the default setting for the BIOS

but remember to revert back to AHCI

it could be the BIOS setting was messed up

I reset bios to default, didn't fix the issue.

I reset bios to default, didn't fix the issue.

hmm 

what about MSConfig?

use the guide here

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/66504-processors-limit-number-used-windows-7-a.html

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I've had to do this too.

Selected and ticked, 8 cores (when I had my 2600k) and then one day I noticed I only had 4 threads shown in Task manager.

Turned the tickbox off, restarted, turned it back on and 8 was available.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The cores came back. After initially thinking resetting the BIOS didn't seem to work, I reentered my overclocks, rebooted, and now I see all 8 threads again. Maybe resetting the BIOS was the fix after all, since I doubt it was the overclock. Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone! I was worried I would need to get a new CPU, that wouldn't of been fun xD

good for you dont forget to mark solved on the right of your reply