Do you benefit watching 1440P videos on 1920x1200?

Go to solution Solved by wng_kingsley7,

Well not really, 2560x1440p is still 16:9 like 1920x1080p however with a slightly higher vertical ratio it's a little stretched out. Cramming more pixels into a smaller density display (I'm guessing a 24") will definitely be better until XXXppi point when you cannot differentiate between pixel density. It's pretty crisp.

https://www.sven.de/dpi/

I just wonder because it IS higher than 1920x1080, but not by that much.

Is there an actual difference or is that bullcrap?

That depends. If the video comes from YouTube then you certainly do, since YT's 1440p looks much sharper on 1080p screen than it's 1080p counterpart due to their compression mechanics. 

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

That depends. If the video comes from YouTube then you certainly do, since 1440p looks much sharper on 1080p screen due to YT's compression mechanics.

Yes on Youtube.

Also, I believe it has a higher bit rate. Especially if you decide to watch on 4K too. I maybe completely incorrect there though. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Yes on Youtube.

Yup, go for 1440p if your bandwidth is okay with that.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Yup, go for 1440p if your bandwidth is okay with that.

Sure, unlimited at 90MBPS

I'm pretty sure that you will not see any difference comparing 1440p content that is played on a 1080p screen versus a 1200p screen. That's because the 1440p resolution is classed as the 16:9 format and so does 1080p, where as 1200p is 16:10 which means that 1440p content will either be compressed and slightly stretched to make up the horizontal vertical pixels on a 1200p screen or it will just be compressed to 1080p and you will end up with black bars at the bottom and the top. At least I think so... correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Fixed my slight errors :P

I'm pretty sure that you will not see any difference comparing 1440p content that is played on a 1080p screen versus a 1200p screen. That's because the 1440p resolution is classed as the 16:9 format and so does 1080p, where as 1200p is 16:10 which means that 1440p content will either be compressed and slightly stretched to make up the horizontal pixels on a 1200p screen or it will just be compressed to 1080p and you will end up with black bars at the sides. At least I think so... correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it ends up with black bars, Lemme test it out and I'll edit this post with the result.

You end up with black bars on top and bottom with a 16:10 monitor.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Depends on the video compression format of the host.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you have a newer nvidia or amd graphic card and watch in full screen, then technically it should down-sample the video and sharpen it.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I think it ends up with black bars, Lemme test it out and I'll edit this post with the result.

You end up with black bars on top and bottom with a 16:10 monitor.

So you do... I just realised that I put horizontal instead of vertical xD

if you have a newer nvidia or amd graphic card and watch in full screen, then technically it should down-sample the video and sharpen it.

R290 with a Dell U2412M.

Also, I believe it has a higher bit rate. Especially if you decide to watch on 4K too. I maybe completely incorrect there though.

There are youtubers like frankieonpcin1080p that record in 1080, and upscale to 4k

It looks a ton better

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

There are youtubers like frankieonpcin1080p that record in 1080, and upscale to 4k

It looks a ton better

I know. I don't think there are any YouTube channels that actually record in 4K. But it is funny seeing the people in the comments on his channel still thinking his system is powerful enough to do so.

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Well not really, 2560x1440p is still 16:9 like 1920x1080p however with a slightly higher vertical ratio it's a little stretched out. Cramming more pixels into a smaller density display (I'm guessing a 24") will definitely be better until XXXppi point when you cannot differentiate between pixel density. It's pretty crisp.

https://www.sven.de/dpi/

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I know. I don't think there are any YouTube channels that actually record in 4K. But it is funny seeing the people in the comments on his channel still thinking his system is powerful enough to do so.

@Cacao does, i think

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

@Cacao does, i think

Oh? I would love to see those. 

Your signature.... it says Seagat not Seagate. :P

Your signature.... it says Seagat not Seagate. :P

This is why I am a full time goof. Time to change it! 

That depends. If the video comes from YouTube then you certainly do, since YT's 1440p looks much sharper on 1080p screen than it's 1080p counterpart due to their compression mechanics.

How's that?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

It looks a ton better

Eww. Doesn't the upscale look like crap though?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Last time I checked 1440p/4k on youtube was just black...

And scaling doesn't seem to get any smoothing :(

@Cacao does, i think

Thanks for the mention! I have some 4K videos on my channel, they were all filmed with that Sony 4K camcorder. I would link them but it would take a while from my phone :P go to YouTube.com/fpsgameclips and check out my Rubik's cube, audio recording setup tour and aorus x7 review videos for some 4K action ;)

Oh and I'm thinking of doing a 4K time lapse, I have access to a pretty tall tower that looks over a huge lake and the swiss alps, so it should be pretty sweet if it works out the way I want it to.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Eww. Doesn't the upscale look like crap though?

No, because everybody watches it in 1080p