Running 1440p at 120hz with HDMI to displayport cable

HyperLime
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

Thanks, that actually helps. So I would be able to run 1080 120hz using a signal converter box? (DVI graphics card to DP monitor).

Yes, but they are quite expensive.  You need a DP to Dual-Link DVI converter.

Nothing can convert to DP. DP inputs do not accept anything other than native DP signals which DVI and HDMI are not capable of without an active adapter (signal converter box). Passive DP adapter cables only go the other way: DP graphics card to DVI or HDMI monitor.

Nothing can convert to DP. DP inputs do not accept anything other than native DP signals which DVI and HDMI are not capable of without an active adapter (signal converter box). Passive DP adapter cables only go the other way: DP graphics card to DVI or HDMI monitor.

Thanks, that actually helps. So I would be able to run 1080 120hz using a signal converter box? (DVI graphics card to DP monitor).

880 will be released in like 2-3 months but 880 ti is wayyyyy farther away. I'm guessing 6 months and that is a very rough guess. Also we have no idea of how well they actually perform until it comes out. Usually the ti is only slightly better than the non-ti anyway so I don't think a single 880ti will be enough either. 

stop saying there will be a 880ti. it's not happening! 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

stop saying there will be a 880ti. it's not happening!

I highly doubt that. Why wouldn't they want to charge an extra $300 or so for an extra 10% of performance?

I highly doubt that. Why wouldn't they want to charge an extra $300 or so for an extra 10% of performance?

because that would be gm200 and on 20nm. thats 900 series.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Hi

I am planning to purchase the new Asus Swift monitor to he able to run at 1440p 120hz (also want the option to go up to 144hz) however my graphics card only has an HDMI input and the monitor only has a displayport input. So:

1. How do I get that resolution and refresh rate with what I have? (use an hdmi to displayport cable??)

2 . Since I am planning to sell my graphics card and only rely on my CPU for graphics in the future to upgrade, would I be able to achieve this resolution and refresh rate using say an hdmi to displayport (bare in mind I have an hdmi input on my motherboard)

I am only confused as 1440p at 120/144hz is something new for me and I can't find anything else online.

Regards,

THE ONLY WAY TO USE THIS MONITOR IS TO HAVE A GPU WITH DISPLAYPORT. Sorry but I had to use caps to make sure you got it. The only way to use an adapter with Displayport is for the signal to come from a Displayport connection, and then into a HDMI or DVI, it does not work the other way.

THE ONLY WAY TO USE THIS MONITOR IS TO HAVE A GPU WITH DISPLAYPORT. Sorry but I had to use caps to make sure you got it. The only way to use an adapter with Displayport is for the signal to come from a Displayport connection, and then into a HDMI or DVI, it does not work the other way.

Yes, I understand that, but if the signal is coming from a DVI or HDMI then it is possible to use a DVI/HDMI to DP ACTIVE converter. Thanks

What I don't understand is why you insist on buying the best monitor out there when your graphics card won't be able to handle the settings which makes it the best. You won't get anywhere near 60FPS at 1440p with a 560ti, so you could might as well go for the BenQ xl2720z, and be satisfied with 144Hz at 1080p.

What I don't understand is why you insist on buying the best monitor out there when your graphics card won't be able to handle the settings which makes it the best. You won't get anywhere near 60FPS at 1440p with a 560ti, so you could might as well go for the BenQ xl2720z, and be satisfied with 144Hz at 1080p.

Because I am waiting for the GTX line release/launch and I don't have a monitor. Getting anything other than this monitor would be a waste of money for me in the long term. No point in investing in an older technology to satisfy my needs for only a few months. I hope that makes sense.

Because I am waiting for the GTX line release/launch and I don't have a monitor. Getting anything other than this monitor would be a waste of money for me in the long term. No point in investing in an older technology to satisfy my needs for only a few months. I hope that makes sense.

If you wait with buying an expensive monitor until the graphics card your looking for is released, there's quite a big chance another better monitor has been released. Just because this is the only 1440p 144hz monitor with G-Sync at the moment doesn't mean anything else is a waste of money.

That's like buying a 4K monitor just after they were announced just because "anything else would be a waste of money" and then 6 months later the price has gone down by multiple thousand dollars.

It's completely unnecessary to buy this monitor now if you're not going to be able to use it to it's fullest extent. Just wait and buy it together with your new graphics card. It will most likely have gone down in price a bit by then as well. You could almost say buying it now would be a waste of money for you.

If you wait with buying an expensive monitor until the graphics card your looking for is released, there's quite a big chance another better monitor has been released. Just because this is the only 1440p 144hz monitor with G-Sync at the moment doesn't mean anything else is a waste of money.

That's like buying a 4K monitor just after they were announced just because "anything else would be a waste of money" and then 6 months later the price has gone down by multiple thousand dollars.

It's completely unnecessary to buy this monitor now if you're not going to be able to use it to it's fullest extent. Just wait and buy it together with your new graphics card. It will most likely have gone down in price a bit by then as well. You could almost say buying it now would be a waste of money for you.

Good point, but I need a monitor. I guess I can push the order a few weeks, I am certainly not in a hurry. Thanks