Good unit for i5-3570k, $100 or less?

Go to solution Solved by connorpiper,

But the OC Genie...

They were too lazy to remove it for H chipsets. 

Hey everybody,

Just as a the topic says, looking for a good water cooling unit for my i5-3570k processor.  I am completely new to overclocking and cooling in general - never done either before - but I know I want to be cooling my CPU and GPU.  I am aware of the guides, and I will look there, but, I just thought I would shout out for help or recommendations on what mind fit my budget for that ($100 >).  Thanks. 

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Your H77 motherboard won't overclock the CPU. You need Z75 or Z77 for that unless the H77 board is special therein having some sort of unlocked BIOS.

As for the cooler, it depends. The H100i is good, but overrated. The Noctua NH-D14 is really quite good, as is the NH-D15 if you have the space for it. The be quiet! Dark Rock 3 is good as well, along with the Corsair H80i, Cooler Master Seidon 120XL and NZXT Kraken X40.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Your H77 motherboard won't overclock the CPU. You need Z75 or Z77 for that unless the H77 board is special therein having some sort of unlocked BIOS.

As for the cooler, it depends. The H100i is good, but overrated. The Noctua NH-D14 is really quite good, as is the NH-D15 if you have the space for it. The be quiet! Dark Rock 3 is good as well, along with the Corsair H80i, Cooler Master Seidon 120XL and NZXT Kraken X40.

Dangit!  I thought this might be the case....although I have used MSI Afterburner and crashed it in the attempt, making me think it was at least responding....

This board comes with Overclock Genie II, so whereas it should be overclockable, whether or not the bios is unlocked or not, I do not know. 

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Where abouts are you located?

East Coast of the United States

I the noctua nh D 14 (or something like that) is good if you have the room for it
EDIT: I meant to write before my full post that I am no fan of cpu all in one watercoolers, but it didnt show up for some reason

Mad at my friend now.  He was the one who built this rig before I had interest in constructing or tinkering with them.  Haha.

Looks like forums agree with what you are saying. 

But the Overclock Genie II???

East Coast of the United States

I would suggest trying to find the Z77A-G43 (The Z77 version of your board) or the Z77A-G45.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I would suggest trying to find the Z77A-G43 (The Z77 version of your board) or the Z77A-G45.

Yep, that's what I was thinking as well. 

I just got the cash for this, so that's pretty good timing, I suppose. 

But the Overclock Genie II???

Click that, and see if it increases (In the BIOS) but make sure to turn that back off because your stock cooler can't handle that much heat.

Click that, and see if it increases (In the BIOS) but make sure to turn that back off because your stock cooler can't handle that much heat.

Grrr, yeah, I don't think my friend built this with the possibility of overclocking in mind....I've wanted to replace the stock cooler....to buy mobo first and then probably will follow up with one of the liquid cooler recommendations above.

Although honestly, I've ran the OC Genie II a couple of times now, and I didn't notice any change in CPU/GPU speed/temps, let alone game performance for that matter, which made me just think that it was a poory configured utility

Grrr, yeah, I don't think my friend built this with the possibility of overclocking in mind....I've wanted to replace the stock cooler....to buy mobo first and then probably will follow up with one of the liquid cooler recommendations above.

I would go for the G45 because it looks much better (And includes some extra goodies) 

Although honestly, I've ran the OC Genie II a couple of times now, and I didn't notice any change in CPU/GPU speed/temps, let alone game performance for that matter, which made me just think that it was a poory configured utility

OC Genie II brought my CPU up to 4.2GHz with super stability. It's a good program for super easy and fast OCs.

OC Genie II brought my CPU up to 4.2GHz with super stability. It's a good program for super easy and fast OCs.

What am I doing wrong? 

What am I doing wrong? 

Nothing, your motherboard does not support Overclocking. They just keep the BIOS the same for all their LGA 1155 boards. 

Nothing, your motherboard does not support Overclocking. 

But the OC Genie...

Nothing, your motherboard does not support Overclocking. They just keep the BIOS the same for all their LGA 1155 boards. 

Ahhh, gotcha.  Yeah, there is no switch on the board.  That sucks. 

I was configuring it in Bios and was wondering what was up. 

Ahhh, gotcha.  Yeah, there is no switch on the board.  That sucks. 

I was configuring it in Bios and was wondering what was up. 

Intel usually has H and Z series chipsets. H (what you have) does not support overclocking. You have to get a Z series chipset to do that. Yours is a H77, you have to have a Z77 to overclock.

EDIT: Sorry for calling it 'Z series' i'm thinking of the VAIO again...

Thank you for all your replies, everyone.

EDIT: Sorry for calling it 'Z series' i'm thinking of the VAIO again...

I knew what you meant, bud.  I am just now getting familiar with chipsets.