What would rectified sound, sound like ?

phillrulz

It's my understanding that sound travels in waves with a positive pressure and negative pressure so a vibration is made, I know sound can be "canceled out" by producing the same frequency and amplitude wave and offsetting it half a cycle, but what I'm wondering is if you could hear a rectified signal and by that I mean full wave rectification as seen in conversion of AC into DC with the absence of the capacitor to smooth so the wave would be purely fluctuation in positive pressure.

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

I think if you didn't have the initial waves, and just the sound canceling wave, I think it would sound like a negative of the original. I guess I can't be 100% sure

I think if you didn't have the initial waves, and just the sound canceling wave, I think it would sound like a negative of the original. I guess I can't be 100% sure

I'm wondering if the frequency was low enough if it would sound like pops or beeps

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

It would sound a bit similar, but with a lot of 'artifacts' or something similar sounding to a triangular wave...  You can try this out using Audacity... Generate a wave of freq x, then generate the anti-wave. Now, silence every peak (in the positive) throughout the wave form...

It would sound a bit similar, but with a lot of 'artifacts' or something similar sounding to a triangular wave... You can try this out using Audacity... Generate a wave of freq x, then generate the anti-wave. Now, silence every peak (in the positive) throughout the wave form...

Yea I've thought about this but I'm in a car on a 6 hour drive so no can do I've asked a friend that is going to uni to do music tech if he can generate or explain to me.

Yea I've thought about this but I'm in a car on a 6 hour drive so no can do I've asked a friend that is going to uni to do music tech if he can generate or explain to me.

Rectified 200Hz http://puu.sh/aMdlg/b063486a1d.mp3 (this is not perfectly rectified but the frequency should be correct)

Sawtooth 200Hz http://puu.sh/aMdlg/b063486a1d.mp3

Rectified 200Hz (this is not perfectly rectified but the frequency should be correct)

Sawtooth 200Hz http://puu.sh/aMdlg/b063486a1d.mp3

Hmm your right there is some distortion the only problem I can think of is obviously the waves coming out of my headphones would have that negative pressure half.

Hmm your right there is some distortion the only problem I can think of is obviously the waves coming out of my headphones would have that negative pressure half.

Well, if we were to run it through the DAC, the voltages that the driver in the earphones would see positive-to-zero voltages instead of positive-to-negative voltages...

Well, if we were to run it through the DAC, the voltages that the driver in the earphones would see positive-to-zero voltages instead of positive-to-negative voltages...

That's true, so if I was to sample it with an oscilloscope it would be DC going from say +1v to 0 only problem I having is visually imagining a sound wave with 0 negative pressure.

That's true, so if I was to sample it with an oscilloscope it would be DC going from say +1v to 0 only problem I having is visually imagining a sound wave with 0 negative pressure.

^yes that is hard^

But I think it would translate as a superposition of waves... (but that's just my assumption)