cyanogen mod VS stock android for HTC ONE M8

tomparr44

i have a rooted HTC ONE M8 and using the stock android ROM but i don't know whether to switch to cyanogen mod??

If you went away from HTC's Sense, you can go all the way to CM anyways. It's not a big difference, just more features.

who cares...

Stock droid is the best mobile OS on the planet IMHO.

but cyanogen is based off stock though?

I was just like you at first, all skeptical n stuff. But once I did it I had no regrets, my phone was alot snappier and faster due to the overall improved build quality of the rom in comparison to stock. I also noticed better battery life due to the new kernel that came with the rom. So I would definitely try it out, just make sure you make a nandriod backup just incase you don't like it. 

I would go with Cyanogen mod it has much more tweaking options so you could make your phone look like whatever you want

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Go for it! Get latest CM11 nightlies for your M8 and enjoy all the gigahertz!

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61 Widescreen 15.4" 1680x1050
Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850
Arch Linux | Linux 4.3.X x86_64

I was just like you at first, all skeptical n stuff. But once I did it I had no regrets, my phone was alot snappier and faster due to the overall improved build quality of the rom in comparison to stock. I also noticed better battery life due to the new kernel that came with the rom. So I would definitely try it out, just make sure you make a nandriod backup just incase you don't like it. 

could you link a download please?

Stock droid is the best mobile OS on the planet IMHO.

not even close. Stock android has so many glaringly common features missing that it's pretty stupid to run. They don't even have a reboot option from the power menu (which EVERY modified version of android has, it's a necessity) nor does it have auto-rotate.

CM has these basic features along with a lot of modifications which make it a lot better to run than AOSP. That and the kernel gives you some performance benefits as well.

CM for extra features and customization

Stock Android for Stability

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

but cyanogen is based off stock though?

All the skins are "based" off the stock rom, but they are adding bulk to it no matter what.

I like PAC-man rom. It is the best of Paranoid android, AOKP and CM. Although right now they are developing slowly because of android updates.

It does currently include all the features in CM btw. 

The stock OS is nice but the custom roms further improve the OS. They add things like under and overclocking, Themes and much more.

Edit: Just make sure you dont get a beta rom for your daily driver, Unless you are okay with tinkering with your device. 

not even close. Stock android has so many glaringly common features that it's pretty stupid to run. They don't even have a reboot option from the power menu (which EVERY modified version of android has, it's a necessity) nor does it have auto-rotate.

CM has these basic features along with a lot of modifications which make it a lot better to run than AOSP. That and the kernel gives you some performance benefits as well.

I've avoided CM because I heard it uses power faster, is this now untrue?

I've avoided CM because I heard it uses power faster, is this now untrue?

what a joke. This is completely untrue. If you care about battery life so much, go and find if Franco Kernel is supported on your device.

i personally didnt care for cm on my m8, i currently use ViperOne m8. As much as i like stock droid i love sense 6 (totally opposite of most i know lol) and i find the viperonem8 rom is just awesome :)

what a joke. This is completely untrue. If you care about battery life so much, go and find if Franco Kernel is supported on your device.

If it's untrue then I'm going to install CM on my device.

Do you know where I can find a stable kitkat CM that will run on a Galaxy Nexus?

i personally didnt care for cm on my m8, i currently use ViperOne m8. As much as i like stock droid i love sense 6 (totally opposite of most i know lol) and i find the viperonem8 rom is just awesome :)

last time I tried ViperROM, they continually begged me when using the customization menu. 

No thanks.

last time I tried ViperROM, they continually begged me when using the customization menu. 

No thanks.

Yeah the donate notice.. i can see why it would bother some. Personally knowing how much time and effort people put into such a thing not to get payed and put it out there for free i cant say i blame them.. i gave a donation purely because i love the rom. Its so close to the stock m8 rom but so much better that even if that notice wasnt there i still would have donated. Its a shame people with talent enough to make these things cant get outright payed for it.

Yeah the donate notice.. i can see why it would bother some. Personally knowing how much time and effort people put into such a thing not to get payed and put it out there for free i cant say i blame them.. i gave a donation purely because i love the rom. Its so close to the stock m8 rom but so much better that even if that notice wasnt there i still would have donated. Its a shame people with talent enough to make these things cant get outright payed for it.

you shouldn't get "paid" for modifying an already modified open-source OS lol.

This is how the open-source community works, off donations.

that and viper doesn't exactly have too many "original" features.

WOW there is an installer?

I had no idea they had made it this easy, I'm doing it now. (there's no negative to using the installer right?)

*only compatible with certain devices*

I'd just do it yourself if you know how to.

I've used cyanogen on my gs3 and I just recently converted my one m8 to a gpe, and I prefer stock gpe over cm11

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

i have a rooted HTC ONE M8 and using the stock android ROM but i don't know whether to switch to cyanogen mod??

Just do a Google Play Edition conversion and customize using GravityBox. CyanogenMod is still stock android, but is missing many of the M8-exclusive features that are added on to stock android in the GPE. Things like the Duo Camera, Boomsound, Motion Launch gestures, and Dot View support.

"Rawr XD"