H100i Fans vs Corsair SP fans

heavygrounds

Hey everyone,

I've recently switched to water cooling with the Corsair H100i a and the unit works perfectly in my NZXT H440, however; the stock fans that came with the H100i are too loud for me, even at lower RPMs they are loud. I would like to know if the Corsair SP (quiet edition) fans are any better than the stock fans. I know that they will be better but I want to know if it is worth the investment (or will they sound just like the stock fans).

If you have gone through the same experience of swapping out the stock fans please let me know, or if you have anything else to say; anything helps and is much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

INTEL I7 4790K @4.6Ghz |  ASUS Z97-A  |  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz 16gb | NVIDIA GTX 780 | NZXT H440 White | CORSAIR RM750 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | WD Caviar Black 1TB | LIQUID COOLED |

The sp fans have rubber mounting points to reduce vibration ,and you can get the quiet versions, which will reduce noise. Or, you could get some NF-F12s and get silence and increased performance.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I swapped to the performance sp120 fans (for the smexy colors lol) and while they can get loud, the stay pretty quiet when under 1500rpm

The sp fans have rubber mounting points to reduce vibration ,and you can get the quiet versions, which will reduce noise. Or, you could get some NF-F12s and get silence and increased performance.

I was thinking about the industrial noctuas but they're just too expensive.

INTEL I7 4790K @4.6Ghz |  ASUS Z97-A  |  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz 16gb | NVIDIA GTX 780 | NZXT H440 White | CORSAIR RM750 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | WD Caviar Black 1TB | LIQUID COOLED |

The way i think is that pressure optimized fans like the SPs from Corsair are best suited to use on radiators like the H100i as they are more silent. Air Flow optimized fans with high CFM and directional air flow are not that suited.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

I swapped to the performance sp120 fans (for the smexy colors lol) and while they can get loud, the stay pretty quiet when under 1500rpm

Thank you, the stock ones are stupid loud at 1000rpm so I guess the SPs will be an improvement.

SP120 QE's would be quieter than the stock fans but they perform very poorly especially for the asking price, Scythe Gentle Typhoons, Noiseblocker silent pro's or Noctual NF-F12's are all good quiet fans but they are expensive. If you want some great fans that won't bust your wallet in the family jewels then go for Rosewill Hyperborea's.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

The quiet edition fans will perform slightly worse but they will be quieter. 

The stock H100 fans are the SP120L's. They're basically a cheap version of the performance edition fans. If you want good fans that are quiet go for some NF-F12's or some enermax twister pressure fans. Both fans perform about as good as eachother with the enermax fans in silent mode (the enermax has 3 modes). 

The way i think is that pressure optimized fans like the SPs from Corsair are not suited to use on  radiators like the H100i, maybe for that, Air Flow optimized fans with high CFM and directional air flow are the better suited, you can go for AF series PWM and turn down the RPM a little to make them more silent.

Aren't the SPs designed for radiators though? I'll consider the AF ones but from what I've heard the SPs are ideal for this usage.

The quiet edition fans will perform slightly worse but they will be quieter. 

The stock H100 fans are the SP120L's. They're basically a cheap version of the performance edition fans. If you want good fans that are quiet go for some NF-F12's or some enermax twister pressure fans. Both fans perform about as good as eachother (with the enermax fans in silent mode). 

SP120 QE's would be quieter than the stock fans but they perform very poorly especially for the asking price, Scythe Gentle Typhoons, Noiseblocker silent pro's or Noctual NF-F12's are all good quiet fans but they are expensive. If you want some great fans that won't bust your wallet in the family jewels then go for Rosewill Hyperborea's.

Okay every one is recommending the Noctuas, I guess it's probably worth spending more money on this kind of stuff anyways. How does the NF-F120 Industrial compare to the originals, are they any better?

Aren't the SPs designed for radiators though? I'll consider the AF ones but from what I've heard the SPs are ideal for this usage.

Yes sorry i meant the other way !!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

The way i think is that pressure optimized fans like the SPs from Corsair are not suited to use on  radiators like the H100i, maybe for that, Air Flow optimized fans with high CFM and directional air flow are the better suited, you can go for AF series PWM and turn down the RPM a little to make them more silent.

Thank you, appreciate that video too :)

Yes, SP = Static Pressure, which is good for radiators. AF = Air Flow, not as good for radiators. 

These fans are good. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/scythe-case-fan-d1225c12b3ap13 and you can get two of them for the price of one Noctua Industrial Fan. 

Yes sorry i meant the other way !!

I thought so, but I had to make sure, thank you

Yes, SP = Static Pressure, which is good for radiators. AF = Air Flow, not as good for radiators. 

These fans are good. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/scythe-case-fan-d1225c12b3ap13 and you can get two of them for the price of one Noctua Industrial Fan. 

Thank you I'll have a look :)

Okay every one is recommending the Noctuas, I guess it's probably worth spending more money on this kind of stuff anyways. How does the NF-F120 Industrial compare to the originals, are they any better?

The industrial fans are basically nf-f12 performance edition fans. They push a hell of a lot of air and they have high static pressure but at max rpm it's like 40+db. 

NF-F12 for a balance

NF-F12 industrial for high performance and a lot of noise.

The industrial fans are basically nf-f12 performance edition fans. They push a hell of a lot of air and they have high static pressure but at max rpm it's like 40+db. 

NF-F12 for a balance

NF-F12 industrial for high performance and a lot of noise.

Thank you :D

JayzTwoCents makes very good explanations about this topic:

Air Flow vs Static Pressure

Case Pressure Explained

Okay so here's how I see it:

Noctua NF-F12 - Awesome but wouldn't match my case

Noctua NF-F12 industrial - Awesome but are too loud

Corsair SP-120 - Not awesome but look great

And the others are either too expensive or just don't look that great...

Is it possible to spray paint a noctua?

Thank you everyone, this has helped me tons :)

SP's are designed for radiators as their fan blade design will provide strong static pressure, however they only provide their rated static pressure at maximum RPM, while the performance editions have fantastic static pressure it only happens at 2350RPM and it's accompanied by a level of sound that can rival a small vacuum cleaner. The Quiet editions get around the noise(well they're supposed to but fail) by running at a lower RPM but at the cost of the amount of static pressure they are able to produce thus limiting their performance when used in their intended role. SP120 QE's have a lower static pressure at their max RPM of 1450 than Rosewill hyperborea's have at their max speed of 1300 RPM all while making considerably less noise and at nearly half the price.

SP120 QE- 1.29mm/H2O @ 1450RPM 23dBA

Hyperborea- 2.64mm/H2O @ 1300RPM 16ddBA

Hyperborea's are a better buy unless you really really want those coloured rings.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Okay so here's how I see it:

Noctua NF-F12 - Awesome but wouldn't match my case

Noctua NF-F12 industrial - Awesome but are too loud

Corsair SP-120 - Not awesome but look great

And the others are either too expensive or just don't look that great...

Is it possible to spray paint a noctua?

Thank you everyone, this has helped me tons :)

You could but that would just cost more money that doesn't really need to be spent. You could go for some of these, it performs just as good as the Noctuas and it also has 3 modes.

-Ultra silent

-Silent (Similar performance to the NF-F12)

-Performance, 25 db at max RPM. 

Full specs: http://www.enermax.co.uk/twisterpressure

SP's are designed for radiators as their fan blade design will provide strong static pressure, however they only provide their rated static pressure at maximum RPM, while the performance editions have fantastic static pressure it only happens at 2350RPM and it's accompanied by a level of sound that can rival a small vacuum cleaner. The Quiet editions get around the noise(well they're supposed to but fail) by running at a lower RPM but at the cost of the amount of static pressure they are able to produce thus limiting their performance when used in their intended role. SP120 QE's have a lower static pressure at their max RPM of 1450 than Rosewill hyperborea's have at their max speed of 1300 RPM all while making considerably less noise and at nearly half the price.

SP120 QE- 1.29mm/H2O @ 1450RPM 23dBA

Hyperborea- 2.64mm/H2O @ 1300RPM 16ddBA

Hyperborea's are a better buy unless you really really want those coloured rings.

Wow that's a massive difference, and no I don't really care about the rings xD.

Thank you

You can't get 2 GT's for the price of one noctua as since they stopped making them they are very rare, and thus expensive.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Wow that's a massive difference, and no I don't really care about the rings xD.

Thank you

The industrial noctuas are not very loud considering they undervolt verywell, have you looked at noiseblocker blacksilent pros? because depending on where you live they can be pretty cheap and they are just as quiet as noctuas and perform quite similarily, also have a look at the silverston ap123's as they are considered among the best fans out there.

Also alittle advice for the future, ignore decibel readings, they are always measured inaccurately and don't tell you how loud the fan is at all. For example you get alot of cheapo crappy fans that say they are 18decibels loud etc, but you can guarantee they wont be as quiet as noctuas. Also, even if you sit completly still, holding your breath with your PC off the ambient noise in your house is about 30-40 decibels. 

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

The industrial noctuas are not very loud considering they undervolt verywell, have you looked at noiseblocker blacksilent pros? because depending on where you live they can be pretty cheap and they are just as quiet as noctuas and perform quite similarily, also have a look at the silverston ap123's as they are considered among the best fans out there.

Also alittle advice for the future, ignore decibel readings, they are always measured inaccurately and don't tell you how loud the fan is at all. For example you get alot of cheapo crappy fans that say they are 18decibels loud etc, but you can guarantee they wont be as quiet as noctuas. Also, even if you sit completly still, holding your breath with your PC off the ambient noise in your house is about 30-40 decibels. 

Okay I'll have a look at the fans you've mentioned. Also, thank you for the advice, appreciate it :)