Spare sp120 to use.

joejoe23

I have a spare corsair sp 120 which I wanted to use as push pull for my aio water Cooling. But didn't have enough screws so I thought gonna use it as case fan until I get screws and additional fan for push pull. I'm using a define r4 and have two 140mm in the front and one 120 mm rad in pull, which left me with one fan slot in the bottom. Should I mount it in push or pull? I'm using a r9 280x which I'm not sure is pushing air downward or to the back of the case.

the GPU is an open fan type cooler, you're going to want some more exhaust
however having exhausts in the bottom isn't really recommended as hot air rises.

exhausts in the top and intakes on the bottom are usually the best.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

the GPU is an open fan type cooler, you're going to want some more exhaust

however having exhausts in the bottom isn't really recommended as hot air rises.

exhausts in the top and intakes on the bottom are usually the best.

So for now it is best to use as intake?I only have one 120mm exhaust at the back with a 120mm rad. And I plan to keep the noise dampening foam on the top two for now.so no fans there.

There are arguments for "positive" pressure, where you have more intake than exhaust. If all of your incoming ports are filtered, and the case is pushing air out of the cracks and crevices, there will be less dust. An example of this would be using 2x 140mm and 1x 120mm as intake and only 1x 120mm exhaust. The result of this is that there isn't a steady "wind tunnel" effect. 

In testing, the ideal is to be close to equal intake and exhaust. This gives you that wind tunnel effect, and your airflow will have fewer stagnant zones. In your Define R4, I would have 2x 140mm front intake, 2x 140mm top exhaust, 1x 140mm bottom intake, and 1x 140mm rear exhaust. That Sapphire GPU (like all other non-blower style GPUs) will circulate hot air around the case if you don't have a good path for airflow.

I have a similar case with the optional top 120/140 fans or sound dampening. The sound dampening material is nice, but losing that exhaust kills the cooling ability.

There are arguments for "positive" pressure, where you have more intake than exhaust. If all of your incoming ports are filtered, and the case is pushing air out of the cracks and crevices, there will be less dust. An example of this would be using 2x 140mm and 1x 120mm as intake and only 1x 120mm exhaust. The result of this is that there isn't a steady "wind tunnel" effect.

In testing, the ideal is to be close to equal intake and exhaust. This gives you that wind tunnel effect, and your airflow will have fewer stagnant zones. In your Define R4, I would have 2x 140mm front intake, 2x 140mm top exhaust, 1x 140mm bottom intake, and 1x 140mm rear exhaust. That Sapphire GPU (like all other non-blower style GPUs) will circulate hot air around the case if you don't have a good path for airflow.

I have a similar case with the optional top 120/140 fans or sound dampening. The sound dampening material is nice, but losing that exhaust kills the cooling ability.

I guess I'll mount it as intake on the bottom for now until I get three additional 140mm and put the one I'm using now in push pull on my 120mm rad and the three additional 140mm like you suggested.