Valve's New Way of "Detecting" Cheaters

EChondo

http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/overwatch/

What is the Overwatch?

The Overwatch lets the CS:GO community regulate itself by allowing qualified and experienced members of the community (‘investigators‘) to review reports of disruptive behavior, determine whether those reports are valid, and apply temporary bans if appropriate.

How does the Overwatch work?

Prospective Overwatch Investigators are presented with an active Overwatch button in the main menu, which indicates that there is a pending case for them to evaluate. The investigators can then choose to participate by watching a replay (eight rounds’ worth or roughly 10 minutes) and selecting a verdict.

If the investigators collectively agree that an offense has occurred, a ban will be issued. The ban duration will depend on the severity of the offense and the suspect’s history of convictions, if any.

How do investigators get selected?

Investigators are selected based on their CS:GO activity (competitive wins, account age, hours played, Skill Group, low report count, etc.) and, if applicable, prior Overwatch participation level and score (a function of their accuracy as an investigator). Community members who maintain both a high level of activity and a high Overwatch score will receive more cases to elect to participate in.

There is more in the link provided.

This will be a pretty interested way of determining cheaters. I believe the "Investigators" can only deal temporary bans and personally I think the way investigators get selected is poor and should be more of a selection thing from Valve or other people that are associated with Valve. I don't know, it just seems like a bad idea.

So now anyone with too much time on their hands will judge who is a cheater, doesn't seem like the best system to me.

Yay, i don't really see many cheaters on steam games but i don't plat cs either

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Moderator selection definitely should be a meticulous process. It only takes one idiot in power to fuck shit up for other people.

So now anyone with too much time on their hands will judge who is a cheater, doesn't seem like the best system to me.

It actually works really well with League of Legend's Tribunal. So I wouldn't see why this would be any different.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

It actually works really well with League of Legend's Tribunal. So I wouldn't see why this would be any different.

Tribunal is a steaming pile of shit, just like the community in LoL.

I read about this yesterday. I think this is good.. Power to the community.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

lol overwatch is pure BS

just use punkbuster and your problem is %90 solved since pb cant catch every "cheater" lol

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

Kills like it would be great. Could be massively abused but that is like a lot of things. But as long as there is overwatch for their overwatch ;)

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

lol overwatch is pure BS

just use punkbuster and your problem is %90 solved since pb cant catch every "cheater" lol

Troll detected.

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

This is hella good. More effort needs to be taken to get rid of cheaters. Try a mindless game of COD (yes I know...) without being wall hacked & aimbotted by someone that has cheated to fully level up.

A good way would be a peer voting process where the number of votes to be banned is that high that the system couldn't be abused but after enough time, with enough people affected, cheats will be found out.

Why isn't it done? The publisher doesn't care, people don't not buy games because they're might be cheats. Making it impossible to cheat takes away more potential buyers than allowing people to cheat.

lol overwatch is pure BS

I believe with VAC and this system, there will be more of a 99% cheater catch rate.