Strange noise from GPU, then PC won't power up

Coollok100
Go to solution Solved by Coollok100,

Try using a different PCIe 3.0 slot?! Not sure what motherboard you have. I can help you but need more info. Hopefully you do not have to RMA motherboard : (

I stated the motherboard in the opening post. I managed to work out what the problem was - the 24 Pin connector was loose at the power supply end (not sure how that happened....). Anyway, the system is running fine now, and I've done some stress testing and all seems good.

I did a build for a friend earlier today, and it all seemed to be fine, but recently they contacted me letting me know that when they were playing games (tabbing back into Planetside 2 caused to go) the system crashed and started to make a strange whirring noise. I've isolated it down to being the GPU, and I suspect the wire that connects the fans to the PCB is getting caught in the fans themselves, as I saw when I was building that the wire was in a strange position (actually looped out of the end of the card). Apparently now the PC has just stopped powering up, which is the most worrying thing. 

Their Specs:

CPU: i5-4670, with stock cooler

Motherboard: MSI B85 G43 Gaming

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce

Case: Corsair 450D

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650w

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

Maybe see if they can clear the cmos for a fix. Try removing the gtx 760 and boot up with stock graphics. 

Maybe see if they can clear the cmos for a fix. Try removing the gtx 760 and boot up with stock graphics. 

Apparently they'll try some things in the morning, so I won't be able to give you any results from this until then, but it's definitely worth a shot - I'm just more concerned about why the PC isn't powering on - it did a few times, but now it's stopped.

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

Yeah things like these, without access yourself, are kinda hard to diagnose. 

So I managed to get access to their computer, and from the looks of things the graphics card is fine. The reason for the noise was the fans on the GPU running at 100% constantly. I tried clearing the CMOS, using integrated graphics, changing RAM configurations and nothing would get the system to post. None of the fans were running (aside from those on the GPU) and the only other signs of life was an LED behind the "Audio Boost" logo on the motherboard and the HDD spinning up. Now the system doesn't power up at all, so I suspect that it is a faulty motherboard. Any suggestions?

Try using a different PCIe 3.0 slot?! Not sure what motherboard you have. I can help you but need more info. Hopefully you do not have to RMA motherboard : (

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

I stated the motherboard in the opening post. I managed to work out what the problem was - the 24 Pin connector was loose at the power supply end (not sure how that happened....). Anyway, the system is running fine now, and I've done some stress testing and all seems good.

Sorry about that! I totally spaced that one...still waking up. In the future with any computer problems always look for the most obvious first! I sometimes overlook the obvious things myself and then I have to slap myself in the forehead later! : )

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6