What does having more vram on a gpu do?

What does having more vram on a gpu do? Because I would like to know if a 4gb gtx 770 is better than a 3gb gtx 780

Its for when you have high resolution displays normally , like a 4k panel or like 3 4k panels , if your using just a 1080p monitor 2gb is fine

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

HIgher VRAM = Better performance on high resolutions. For 1080p 2 GB is enough. For 1440p I would recommend 3GB and above that 4GB cards or 6GB cards.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

It allows you to load higher resolution textures, which means at high resolutions you will still be able to get the same texture quality.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

High res textures on a high res screen is when you need more than 3GB.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So does Vram only increase texture resolution? I always thought it helped with other things in gaming as well, like how much your pc can render and what not.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Well what are you going for overall? Just gaming and sticking to a normal res, such as 1920x1080? Video editing?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Well what are you going for overall? Just gaming and sticking to a normal res, such as 1920x1080? Video editing?

yes video editing as well

Everything you see on your monitor are on your VRAM. More you have on it, more you can store without having to do quick data swapping on your VRAM.

For instance, having a 2GB VRAM, as many users have stated, allows you to pretty much do whatever you want on a 1080p display. In short, higher the resolution your screen is, higher the resolution textures there are, more the polygon and 3D objects count on the image on your screen, more VRAM you need.

Don't rule out anything above 2GB VRAM unnecessary though, just in case you have a 1080p display! You can always make your graphics cards render in higher resolution than your actual display, causing it to use a lot more GPU and VRAM and then have it downscaled to obtain an end result of better and sharper graphics on your 1080p panel.

In my book I always say more the better for VRAM, you never know when or why you might need it, and usually they do not come with very high price tags, such as the EVGA 780 6GB editions; these have only a mere $30 higher tag than the 3GB versions in many stores.

With the so called "next-gen" consoles and PC becoming the only platforms on which games are developed, games in particular for the next 2 years will start to use a lot more VRAM due to the fact that both the consoles have shared VRAM and system RAM now, giving them a lot more room than 2GB or 4GB to work with, albeit their GPUs not being able to render that high end stuff of course, but this leverages PC very very highly in the end of the day as it indeed has the power needed.

Everything you see on your monitor are on your VRAM. More you have on it, more you can store without having to do quick data swapping on your VRAM.

For instance, having a 2GB VRAM, as many users have stated, allows you to pretty much do whatever you want on a 1080p display. In short, higher the resolution your screen is, higher the resolution textures there are, more the polygon and 3D objects count on the image on your screen, more VRAM you need.

Don't rule out anything above 2GB VRAM unnecessary though, just in case you have a 1080p display! You can always make your graphics cards render in higher resolution than your actual display, causing it to use a lot more GPU and VRAM and then have it downscaled to obtain an end result of better and sharper graphics on your 1080p panel.

In my book I always say more the better for VRAM, you never know when or why you might need it, and usually they do not come with very high price tags, such as the EVGA 780 6GB editions; these have only a mere $30 higher tag than the 3GB versions in many stores.

With the so called "next-gen" consoles and PC becoming the only platforms on which games are developed, games in particular for the next 2 years will start to use a lot more VRAM due to the fact that both the consoles have shared VRAM and system RAM now, giving them a lot more room than 2GB or 4GB to work with, albeit their GPUs not being able to render that high end stuff of course, but this leverages PC very very highly in the end of the day as it indeed has the power needed.

ok so a 4gb gtx 770 would be better than a 3gb gtx 780 in certain cases like running more monitors at 1080p but what would happen frame rate wise because the gtx 780 is a beefer card

• 2 weeks later...

HIgher VRAM = Better performance on high resolutions. For 1080p 2 GB is enough. For 1440p I would recommend 3GB and above that 4GB cards or 6GB cards.

so say I wanted to run a 1920x1080 and a 1440x900 monitor and then upgrade too two 1080p monitors 2gb would be enough

so say I wanted to run a 1920x1080 and a 1440x900 monitor and then upgrade too two 1080p monitors 2gb would be enough

The Vram only really matters in gaming situations. I have 2GB of Vram on my HD7870 and I run 1080p main and 1680x1050 on secondary. As long as I don't do anything insane on my second screen I never run out of VRAM.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Bragging rights.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors