Tech quickie

babbaj

Game Engines is a good idea but Linus is mostly off child nd is coming ..

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

what?

Sorry ,just woke up

Linus is waiting this week for his 2nd child to be born so he is not on the forum as much as before.

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

Sorry ,just woke up

Linus is waiting this week for his 2nd child to be born so he is not on the forum as much as before.

What second channel?

What second channel?

He mention it on the wan show that he expecting his second child so he'll be gone for this week. This week will be LukeTechTips with because Linus won't be here. And you mean second child, not second channel.

ONLINE Last Active A minute ago

I know, what I try to say is that he is not working as much because he has to be on and off so that he can help with the birth , atleast thats what he said in the WAN show and thats why this week Luke will be the host on most videos..

Again Sorry I just woke up 15 minutes ago

He mention it on the wan show that he expecting his second child so he'll be gone for this week. This week will be LukeTechTips with because Linus won't be here. And you mean second child, not second channel.

Yeah my mind registered the word child as channel.

Well it is firly easy to comprehend.

-> Markup language: A script langauge used to format text for presentation purposes. There is no logic to it. If you use the forum BBCodes when doing a post, BBCode is a markup language.  Most forums system on the web, supports and uses BBCode markup language. It allows you to put text in [b ] Bold[/b ] so that they show up Bold like that, if you ignore the spaces I put. And so on.

It is JUST for presentation of text. You can't make any logic calls. You can't say If this, do that. Let alone 1+1 = 2. There is no math suport.  I can't do a game using the forum BBcode.

-> Progrfam language: a set of instruction that is processed by the system in some fashion which tells the computer what to do. You can't use it to present text. It is used for logic and math only. The diffcult part of programming is not the programming itself. That is easy to do. The difficult part is the logic, and how to do it, in a way that is optimized for the programming language you use, and the processor you use. For example, the x86 architecture CPU is master of if condition. You can have a long list of: if this, do this, and the processor will go throuw it with amazing ease. Billions, in fact, within a few miliseconds. However, do a single one, just 1, on the GPU side... oh boy. You are asking for massive performance drop, as the GPU will actually process BOTH cases, or how many cases you have in total, once everything is computed, all possibilities, THEN it decides. Modern GPUs are a bit better at it, these days, but still reduces noticeble performance drop, even if you only draw a cube on the screen.

This is why we use the CPU to do the A.I, and the logic of any software, and not the GPU. GPU is all about process mathematical equasions in parallel, meaning execute a bunch of math caculations at the same time. And that is what graphics are. Everything is linear algebra, meaning draw lnes on the screen, and using a mathematical concept called matrix calculation, it can change the shapes. In some ways, when Mod7 chip arrived to the Super Nintendo cartriges, it's a chip that can do basic linear algebra, which allowed the deformation of sprites, and images on screen.

A game engine, is the a software that provide tools for game developers to develop their game. See it as using Word to type you text, instead of typing code everytime you try to format text in a certain way, or do a table, exactly what HTML is. HUGE amount of work is done for the developer. This allows game developer to fics on graphics, sound and story telling (if any), instead of spending multiple years in the game development period in doing basic layers of game design, and the upper layers in making it look nice. That is why, games that uses the same engine looks alike in terms of gaming experience. The graphical art direction and game play might be different, but it will share the same limitations and abilities. For example, if a game uses Cry-engine, it will have the same tree effects that wowed people upon the game showcasing the engine: Crysis. Trees will moves with the wind, and as you touch the leaves, and yet be destructable.