Pentium or Atholon?

Hello all at the LTT Forum! I am looking into buying a new CPU, MOBO, and RAM with a very tight budget of $200. This will be for gaming on mostly CSGO, some DayZ and ARMA 2 as well. What I am wondering is, should I get a Pentium 3258 or a 750K? I know both can be OCed and the 750K performs (from what I've read) just under the Pentium in a lot of games. I am on a Core 2 Quad Q8200 and it's on it's last leg. I get around 70 FPS in csgo at 1024x768 all low (source prefers low graphics for better FPS) and that will dip to around the low 30's from time to time depending on the map. In dayZ 20-30 FPS is the normal thing for me. Now, here is the tricky part. I have $200 to spend. This includes RAM, MOBO, and the CPU. I do need 8GB's of ram, i'm on 6 right now and I hover around 5GB's just with day to day use. I don't need anything else. I am pairing the CPU's with a GT 630 for a little bit till black friday/cyber monday then upgrading to a xeon based system if I have the funds. Would like your guys, and gals help with this as I am very indecisive. 

Thanks in advance! 

~Tyler/91wow

Hello all at the LTT Forum! I am looking into buying a new CPU, MOBO, and RAM with a very tight budget of $200. This will be for gaming on mostly CSGO, some DayZ and ARMA 2 as well. What I am wondering is, should I get a Pentium 3258 or a 750K? I know both can be OCed and the 750K performs (from what I've read) just under the Pentium in a lot of games. I am on a Core 2 Quad Q8200 and it's on it's last leg. I get around 70 FPS in csgo at 1024x768 all low (source prefers low graphics for better FPS) and that will dip to around the low 30's from time to time depending on the map. In dayZ 20-30 FPS is the normal thing for me. Now, here is the tricky part. I have $200 to spend. This includes RAM, MOBO, and the CPU. I do need 8GB's of ram, i'm on 6 right now and I hover around 5GB's just with day to day use. I don't need anything else. I am pairing the CPU's with a GT 630 for a little bit till black friday/cyber monday then upgrading to a xeon based system if I have the funds. Would like your guys, and gals help with this as I am very indecisive. 

Thanks in advance! 

~Tyler/91wow

I bet you you'll get a better increase in performance and spend less getting a better GPU then a CPU/Mobo/RAM combo. A core 2 quad still does the job fine for a lot of newer games even BF4, but a GT630 just isn't cutting it

"Rawr XD"

I bet you you'll get a better increase in performance and spend less getting a better GPU then a CPU/Mobo/RAM combo. A core 2 quad still does the job fine for a lot of newer games even BF4, but a GT630 just isn't cutting it

It's the CPU, 2.3 GHz and can't OC at all is a really bad CPU, I play CPU heavy games, I don't play any of the BF series or anything like that. CSGO is CPU heavy and so is the arma engine. The 630 is fine for CSGO, I have a friend who used it for a while on an i7 build and stayed at around 200 FPS in CSGO and 40 in dayZ. I need a new CPU, DDR2 and 2.3 GHz dual core with what was pretty much hyper threading at the time isn't cutting it for anything. Trust me I had a 590 on this thing once. lol (had to sell it to pay for phone bills that started to gather) 

And also, wouldn't it be smarter upgrading from a 7 year old platform to a modern one then buying a GPU in a few months? If I buy now and then wait i'll just have a massive bottleneck on the CPU holding back the GPU, no matter the type. 

It's the CPU, 2.3 GHz and can't OC at all is a really bad CPU, I play CPU heavy games, I don't play any of the BF series or anything like that. CSGO is CPU heavy and so is the arma engine. The 630 is fine for CSGO, I have a friend who used it for a while on an i7 build and stayed at around 200 FPS in CSGO and 40 in dayZ. I need a new CPU, DDR2 and 2.3 GHz dual core with what was pretty much hyper threading at the time isn't cutting it for anything. Trust me I had a 590 on this thing once. lol (had to sell it to pay for phone bills that started to gather) 

In that case I'd get the G3258, not because of the chip (CPU wise I'd go with the 750K) but because there's lots of boards on the 1150 side that can overclock the Pentium a lot better then there are boards on the FM2 side for overclocking the Athlon. Keep in mind though that these fancy Z97 boards are expensive. 

"Rawr XD"