Help with first mechanical keyboard!

Galagrawr

Sometime here soon, I'm gonna go searching for a mechanical keyboard because I don't want this rubber dome nonsense anymore D:

I think the only real conflict I can think of when getting a mechanical keyboard is what kind of switch to buy. I'm debating between brown and blues, because I enjoy a tactile feel while gaming. I've played around with blues before, and I've heard that blues are pretty loud at home or an office because of the click, but I don't think it'll be a problem from my room. I also heard that browns are nice, but I don't really know how they feel compared to a membrane keyboard because I've never used one. I've used reds once, and I know they're used a lot for gaming, but I don't know if I want a linear switch because I type a lot, and I heard that typing is not as easy on a linear switch.

I've been thinking of getting an old Razer Blackwidow, a Quickfire TK, or something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823162029&cm_re=mechanical_keyboard-_-23-162-029-_-Product

TL;DR

1) How loud are blues? Are they too loud to use at home?

2) How do browns feel compared to membrane?

3) Could a linear switch still be good for typing?

Also, I think my budget is up to $80-90

And please redirect me to anything that could help me out or a similar post if there is one.

Thanks! ^.^

Blues are fairly loud I like them unless it's silent in the house, then its like gunshots.

They do make sound that you can hear a lot. I would suggest looking at some YT videos.

Browns feel like blues, easy to push, and have a little feedback when you actuate them, but they don't make sound.

Linear switches are also good for typing, they just exist so you can find what you want.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Do you have any legit tech store (i.e. not BestBuy) nearby in which you may try out some switches?

I would recommend browns or blues over reds and blacks for typing, but Linus uses blacks, so take that as you may. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

1. Blues are quite loud, but I find that depends on the desk you use as well. I use blues, and lately I was using some flimsy, MDF desk, and it made the keys much louder. On a good solid wooden desk they're quieter. I used to use them in the room directly downstairs from my parents bedroom while I visited home for a few weeks, and they didn't complain about loud typing at night or anything.

I'd personally not bother with anything else, because there's really nothing wrong with blues, they're great for typing and for gaming, and for everything else.

There's a BestBuy not too far away from here that I can go to, I actually got to try the Blackwidow Ultimate there :3

My house is only one floor, and I have a nice solid desk so hopefully that helps a bit.

1. they are a decent noise, look at sound comparisons online

2. they are much better

3. yes they are still 10/10, if I were to get a new keyboard I would probably get reds (have browns)

1. they are a decent noise, look at sound comparisons online

2. they are much better

3. yes they are still 10/10, if I were to get a new keyboard I would probably get reds (have browns)

I agree, reds are good.

Roses are red, violets are blue, computers are awesome, and so are you!

Ok typing is a very subjective experience. It depends on how heavy or light you type and also how fast you are intending to type.

Cherry Blues: These have some give to them. the actuation/click feels like it has it's own spring in it and actually feels like it actuates at a slightly different height every time (pretty dang sure it doesn't but it just feels that way to me). The huge benefit of these is that the release is actually VERY nice feeling and has a click. It kind of feels like the snap of a really light gauge rubber band rubber band (With a similar sound and volume). If you are a heavy handed typist then you probably won't feel too much of the aforementioned things but I don't know your typing. The reset time is actually fairly slow compared to the Browns and the Reds (reason why they aren't considered gaming switches).

Cherry Browns: These are fairly similar to browns in the way that they have an actuation bump, but have a totally different feel (besides the click). They are a single piece rather than the blues 2 piece mechanism which makes them feel more solid, but the bump is less noticeable but more solid feeling. If you are a light touch typist like me this bump feels very similar the folding of the membrane magnets in a membrane KB, if you are a heavy typist it does't (from what my friends tell me). These actually are a little quieter than the Reds (from base to top position) because the bump actually slows the momentum down when released with a snap. 

Cherry Reds: I personally use these because i can't stand the sound of the Blues (absurdly loud for me) and don't like the solid feel of the brown's bump. These are fairly flat feeling switches that have what feels like a more pronounced spring resistance as you get closer to the bottom. If you learn how they feel then you will almost effortlessly be able to tell where the actuation point is and never bottom out unless you want to. This is the same with Blacks.

HOPE THIS HELPED!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm also looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard...and really have no idea what to go for.  I have never used a mechanical kb before and never seen anybody use one.  Worst, there isn't anywhere around here I can go try one out since all I have are Best Buys, Future Shop and Staples. 

So my main interrogation is what switch to pick.  From what I could read here and around and from YT videos, I'm leaning towards Browns.  I do some typing and some gaming, pretty much half and half.  I play pretty much any kind of games.  I figure Blues would be way too loud and without the bump, not sure about typing with Reds.  Since I can't try any of them and have to order over the net, I have to make a safe choice, that's why I'm leaning on the Browns.  The best I could get my hands on is a Razer BlackWidow with their own green switches, which I think compares to Cherry Blues.

So would you agree Browns are a safe bet??

For the keyboard selection, I'm looking at the Corsair K70.  It has all the features I'm looking for and lacks the ones I don't want.  Also like the unique look! I'm open to suggestions though.

Here is what I'm looking for:

- Available with Brown Switches (Unless you tell me otherwise)

- Backlit

- Dedicated Media Keys

- Numpad

- Normal layout

- No macro keys (won't use them anyway)

Thanks

Do you have any legit tech store (i.e. not BestBuy) nearby in which you may try out some switches?

I would recommend browns or blues over reds and blacks for typing, but Linus uses blacks, so take that as you may. 

You can TEST some of the switches at BestBuy, mine carries the K70 and G710+. I was able to rip apart the box for the G710+ and test it out. I just kept the employee occupied saying I was gonna get the keyboard, so he didn't stop me.

I bought it online the next day.

If this isn't an option I would recommend the Max Keyboard Switch Tester.

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/keyboard-parts/key-switch.html

Switches are a personal choice. No matter how many times you hear the explanation , it will never do as much justice as trying the switch.

I would go with the bigger one if you want to try out some of the more exotic switches, want to try out modded switches like ergo-clears or Tacto-blacks, plan to do modding to  only a few keys like the spacebar or esc key.

1) Blues are pretty loud but it shouldn't be an issue as long as you have the room to yourself. 

Here is a video of blues: they are quite loud but some people like it 

2) Browns are awesome, the have a "clacky" sound instead of the blue's "clicky" sound.  They are just as light to press as the blues (i believe they have the same actuation force).  Browns are also great for typing or gaming imo.

3) Sorry don't know much about linear switches (reds) but sounds like blues or browns would best suit you.

I would go with blues if you like how they sound and have a room to yourself.  Otherwise browns are also a great switch.  If you do decide on blues, I would go with the older poseidon (non Z series), since they use the more reliable and trusted MX blues.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823162028

Or you could go with the CM Storm quickfire TK, which comes in browns or blues.  I have the quickfire tk in browns and I love them (they were my first mech keyboard).  Just keep in mind that the TK is semi-tenkeyless and has the numlock switch between the number pad and arrow keys.  Takes some getting used to but I love it.

1) Blues are pretty loud but it shouldn't be an issue as long as you have the room to yourself. 

Here is a video of blues: they are quite loud but some people like it 

2) Browns are awesome, the have a "clacky" sound instead of the blue's "clicky" sound.  They are just as light to press as the blues (i believe they have the same actuation force).  Browns are also great for typing or gaming imo.

3) Sorry don't know much about linear switches (reds) but sounds like blues or browns would best suit you.

I would go with blues if you like how they sound and have a room to yourself.  Otherwise browns are also a great switch.  If you do decide on blues, I would go with the older poseidon (non Z series), since they use the more reliable and trusted MX blues.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823162028

Or you could go with the CM Storm quickfire TK, which comes in browns or blues.  I have the quickfire tk in browns and I love them (they were my first mech keyboard).  Just keep in mind that the TK is semi-tenkeyless and has the numlock switch between the number pad and arrow keys.  Takes some getting used to but I love it.

Browns are lighter than Blues. But the noise of blues isn't to bad especially with O-Rings.

here is a good all around comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWbQvEgWYWI

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm also looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard...and really have no idea what to go for.  I have never used a mechanical kb before and never seen anybody use one.  Worst, there isn't anywhere around here I can go try one out since all I have are Best Buys, Future Shop and Staples. 

So my main interrogation is what switch to pick.  From what I could read here and around and from YT videos, I'm leaning towards Browns.  I do some typing and some gaming, pretty much half and half.  I play pretty much any kind of games.  I figure Blues would be way too loud and without the bump, not sure about typing with Reds.  Since I can't try any of them and have to order over the net, I have to make a safe choice, that's why I'm leaning on the Browns.  The best I could get my hands on is a Razer BlackWidow with their own green switches, which I think compares to Cherry Blues.

So would you agree Browns are a safe bet??

For the keyboard selection, I'm looking at the Corsair K70.  It has all the features I'm looking for and lacks the ones I don't want.  Also like the unique look! I'm open to suggestions though.

Here is what I'm looking for:

- Available with Brown Switches (Unless you tell me otherwise)

- Backlit

- Dedicated Media Keys

- Numpad

- Normal layout

- No macro keys (won't use them anyway)

Thanks

So I went with the K70 with Brown keys.  I'm pleased with it and would buy again for sure.  Having never typed on a mechanical KB before, there is a little learning curve, specially not to bottom out the keys.