World of Tanks/Wargaming review (Rant kinda)

1823alex

So I've been playing World of Tanks for about a year and a half now and took a break awhile ago and started playing again, I figured I'd review the Company and the game it self. Here goes I'm dividing it into two sections the company (Wargaming) and the game itself (World of Tanks)

The Company (Wargaming)

Wargaming, they have released 2 games so far which would be World of Tanks and World of Warplanes, I mostly have experience in tanks. They also have a closed beta going for there next game World of Warships. So first of all let's address support. Support. It SUCKS. The reason why everyone hates Wargaming's support is mainly they don't know what the fuck is going on. You send in a ticket as if you were going to RMA something... they usually get back to you within a day, but everytime you get a reply it's shuffled around as in the first person says provide specific info, you provide it and then a COMPLETELY different person replies again, either asking for a confirmation or more information. It also seems as if they just copy/paste something related to your issue. If you can't provide info the first response then the second person will reply with the same copy/paste response. Recently they've had an issue with Chargebacks and Fraud credit cards etc, because of this people's accounts are being perma-banned for no reason. The way it works is a bad person can gift you gold then chargeback and you get banned for it. Wait what?! If you send in a ticket to support about this they tell you to basically "Fuck off" but in a nice way of course. If you want to change your email you have to purchase something in the game as credit card verification, then tell them to change it. And if you change the email you have to define a new password, What's that you had your phone number binded to the account? Oh good you get a secruity code that NEVER comes through. Now I can't login to create a ticket. How do I deal with this? Make another account telling them the issue, they remove my phone number, and I can do the password reset through my email. Why wasn't there an option to pick? There simply retarded. In a lot of players opinions EA is an "Angel" compared to Wargaming. Someone said this (a player of World of Tanks and other Wargaming products): "It’s hard to imagine a shittier company than WG and people keep bitching about EA. EA are like angels compared to WG, who cares about their day 1 DLC since only some of their games are screwed now and then, not permanently like in WG’s case."

The game (World of Tanks)

The game is a good bit of fun, once you get good at it. It works upon a tier system specifically I-X (1-10). It also uses XP to unlock and research a new tank, credits to buy that tank, and of course gold and you guessed it there's the part where you start to spend money. Gold. Some of the tanks are called premium meaning they cost real money or gold. Although there is a lot of made up non-sense as far as the historicalness of a tank. As in sometimes they make up a random new turret. Although as of now they are starting to correct all of the made up non-sense but they have a specific tier 10 tank as of now that has had to have been overly buffed to even become competitive, but next patch they are going to bring it back to it's historical state in you guessed it a premium tier 8 tank. They have servers located as of now in Southeast Asia, US (East and West coast server), and Europe as of now. One problem with the game is that it is VERY VERY biased toward the Russian tank variant, as they are the cheapest to research with XP and also output the most damage. In World of Tanks it's not about kills its all about the damage (Although they have a special reward for "Kill stealers" If you 1 shot 3 tanks in a row you get the reaper medal. Now onto achievements (Medals) The game has a lot of different medals there are Mastery medals for how well you do compared to all the other players that played that tank in the last week in order of the best to worst: Ace Tanker, 1st Class, 2nd Class, and 3rd Class Mastery. The players are heavily focused on stats so if you suck and try to talk shit or ask people to go a certain route when your stats just reflect when you we're fooling around and learning the game, you basically get told to "shut the fuck up and no one gives a shit about you and your strategy" This drastically changes if you have VERY good stats though. The game uses different ways of calculating how good you are particulatly: Win Rate (% victory out of the total battles fought.), WN8 and WN7 (Ways of finding out your average damage levels) Also efficiency and performance (How well you make use of your tank's Gun, Armor, and Reload Speed). If you're able to get good at the game it is a lot of fun. There are also clans in the game and clan battles. The game is available on PC and Xbox 360, and iPad as of now, soon to be iPhone and Android. You can also platoon with people the same thing as being in the same battle and team as them, you can have up to 3 people in 1 platoon.

Some people have quit and found better alternatives from different companies though, mostly Warthunder and recently (At least in my clan) Robocraft.

If you'd like to get into playing the game here's some nice resources for you:

There website: http://worldoftanks.com/

Subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/worldoftanks

Amount of damage you should be doing in a given tank: http://www.targetdamage.com/nations

Official Wargaming Wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Tanks

Leaks and News about the game: http://ftr.wot-news.com/

Check your stats: http://wotlabs.net/

Hope you enjoyed my review about the company and there main game. I could get into it a lot more but my fingers are tired of typing and there is so much more about World of Tanks, World of Warplanes and World of Warships.

I'll be replying to anyone else's further questions about the game or the company.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

@1823alex I'll enjoy reading this xD I've never played WOT before however learning from the guys from Tag TV on Youtube it's freaking funny

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I'll enjoy reading this xD I've never played WOT before however learning from the guys from Tag TV on Youtube it's freaking funny

-snipped youtube video.

Does sum it up pretty well. lol. It's a lot of fun though once you get to play it and learn how to properly play it. I'm pretty sure they are just acting really dumb, but lol. If you like tanks but just don't want to spend the time looking online or books at it just play the game and you figure out what tanks were powerful pretty quickly (I'll give you a hint the ones that 1 shot you are pretty powerful :P)

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

And here the hates comes from me.

Ok, I'm guessing you are 1500 games into the game. Because I notice how you say Russian tanks are over powered. They totally are not. 

I'm an Above Average player (well I stopped playing two months ago, ,but I still have played the game) and I have played 6493 games. This is my opinions on best tanks tier to tier.

Tier 1: Leichtraktor. (Germany) This tank has awesome view range and the stock gun is good. Can bounce shots if you sidescrape good enough.

Tier 2: T18 (USA) This tank one-shot-kills all tier 1 tanks, and most of the tier 2 tanks if you hit with a nice shot. Does great damage to tier three tanks and can not get into tier 4 games (just like all tier 2's).

Tier 3: Cruiser IV (England) Is in my opinion an awesome tank, and the damage it can dish out is awesome. Pretty hard to play though.

Tier 4: SU85B (USSR) This tank is a great tank destroyer, and can do like 160 damage per shot, with a fast reload. While this is USSR, it has no armor (almost) so you need great map knowledge to use it correctly. Which most players does not have, if they play USSR.

Tier 5: KV-1 (USSR) This tank has got waay to much armor for the level. When I play with this tank, I always do good. My armor use stuff is 2.12, which means I bounce double the damage I take. Holy shit, and it has got a good gun. With skills I have it is OP as f**k.

Tier 6: Hellcat (USA) While KV-1S is good, it has got too long reload and too bad accuracy for a good player to think it is the best one. The hellcat features an awesome gun, fast speed, and great spotting capabilities (if you do it passively).

Tier 7: T29 (USA) The T29 has good armor all around, but the turret is almost in-penetrable. Awesome on maps where you can go hull-down. Jgpanther is a great option for tank destroyers in the german tree too!

Tier 8: Tiger II (Germany) Featuring heavy armor, great side scraping capabilities, and a 320 alpha damage gun. Sadly it's lower plate is bad, but if you can hide it, it is an awesome tank unless your enemy knows that your turret is weak (IS-3 can penetrate it.)

Tier 9: E75 (Germany) The E75 is an awesome tank, with great gun, great armor, and great looks, the tank is good all around. It has the same problem as Tiger II with weak lower plate, but if you angle it at 30 degrees you can often bounce tier 8 guns. 

Tier 10: FV215b 183 (England) This has the best gun. Ever. Can one-shot tier 8's, and I believe they can kill some tier 9's. Awesome tank, everything is good about it.

So, as it turns out, USSR is not the winner here. While they are easy to drive, and my extremely good KV-1S (12.50 reload, from 18 stock :o) and KV1 (secound skill is at 70%)

I do agree with you though that their support is awful.

EDIT: Also they have servers in South China, North China, Vietnam, Korea, South East Asia, Russia, EU, North America

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

And here the hates comes from me.

Ok, I'm guessing you are 1500 games into the game. Because I notice how you say Russian tanks are over powered. They totally are not. 

I'm an Above Average player (well I stopped playing two months ago, ,but I still have played the game) and I have played 6493 games. This is my opinions on best tanks tier to tier.

Tier 1: Leichtraktor. (Germany) This tank has awesome view range and the stock gun is good. Can bounce shots if you sidescrape good enough.

Tier 2: T18 (USA) This tank one-shot-kills all tier 1 tanks, and most of the tier 2 tanks if you hit with a nice shot. Does great damage to tier three tanks and can not get into tier 4 games (just like all tier 2's).

Tier 3: Cruiser IV (England) Is in my opinion an awesome tank, and the damage it can dish out is awesome. Pretty hard to play though.

Tier 4: SU85B (USSR) This tank is a great tank destroyer, and can do like 160 damage per shot, with a fast reload. While this is USSR, it has no armor (almost) so you need great map knowledge to use it correctly. Which most players does not have, if they play USSR.

Tier 5: KV-1 (USSR) This tank has got waay to much armor for the level. When I play with this tank, I always do good. My armor use stuff is 2.12, which means I bounce double the damage I take. Holy shit, and it has got a good gun. With skills I have it is OP as f**k.

Tier 6: Hellcat (USA) While KV-1S is good, it has got too long reload and too bad accuracy for a good player to think it is the best one. The hellcat features an awesome gun, fast speed, and great spotting capabilities (if you do it passively).

Tier 7: T29 (USA) The T29 has good armor all around, but the turret is almost in-penetrable. Awesome on maps where you can go hull-down. Jgpanther is a great option for tank destroyers in the german tree too!

Tier 8: Tiger II (Germany) Featuring heavy armor, great side scraping capabilities, and a 320 alpha damage gun. Sadly it's lower plate is bad, but if you can hide it, it is an awesome tank unless your enemy knows that your turret is weak (IS-3 can penetrate it.)

Tier 9: E75 (Germany) The E75 is an awesome tank, with great gun, great armor, and great looks, the tank is good all around. It has the same problem as Tiger II with weak lower plate, but if you angle it at 30 degrees you can often bounce tier 8 guns. 

Tier 10: FV215b 183 (England) This has the best gun. Ever. Can one-shot tier 8's, and I believe they can kill some tier 9's. Awesome tank, everything is good about it.

So, as it turns out, USSR is not the winner here. While they are easy to drive, and my extremely good KV-1S (12.50 reload, from 18 stock :o) and KV1 (secound skill is at 70%)

I do agree with you though that their support is awful.

EDIT: Also they have servers in South China, North China, Vietnam, Korea, South East Asia, Russia, EU, North America

Ooops didn't really check there servers I just listed main ones will edit post later and I'm about 5k battles in, I've just heard as far as xp goes at least. So I've heard. Also In my own opinion if you like medium tanks the British medium line is my favorite, Comet and Cromwell and Crusader were a lot of fun, SU-85B was one of my favorite tanks, KV-1 second tier 5 loved brawling then decided to go to mediums as I like flanking a lot. Hellcat oh boy yes love that tank.

Ooops didn't really check there servers I just listed main ones will edit post later and I'm about 5k battles in, I've just heard as far as xp goes at least. So I've heard. Also In my own opinion if you like medium tanks the British medium line is my favorite, Comet and Cromwell and Crusader were a lot of fun, SU-85B was one of my favorite tanks, KV-1 second tier 5 loved brawling then decided to go to mediums as I like flanking a lot. Hellcat oh boy yes love that tank.

Cromwell is decent, Crusader is AWFUL, hated it! But the Comet is decent. I was really close to the centurion before I stopped playing. 

I prefer tank destroyers.

Also, I recommend noobmeter.com if you want to check your stats.

Cromwell is decent, Crusader is AWFUL, hated it! But the Comet is decent. I was really close to the centurion before I stopped playing. 

I prefer tank destroyers.

Also, I recommend noobmeter.com if you want to check your stats.

I was going to link it but as of now some of the ratings are glitched out and you have to activate xvm for noobmeter to work as far as I know.

I was going to link it but as of now some of the ratings are glitched out and you have to activate xvm for noobmeter to work as far as I know.

Yeah, but playing WoT without xvm is suicide.

Yeah, but playing WoT without xvm is suicide.

Yea well I figured people that saw the post were just starting out or we're downloading the game because of it. I run Tank Carousel XVM J1MBOs crosshairs and a Hitlog and DamagePanel.

Yea well I figured people that saw the post were just starting out or we're downloading the game because of it. I run Tank Carousel XVM J1MBOs crosshairs and a Hitlog and DamagePanel.

I used to run the same mods. Tank carousel is necessary when you have a lot of tanks. I used to have like 25.

But note, wargaming are really nice and gives you free special premium tanks and tank slots. Also does fun happenings. I've probably recieved 5 free premium tanks, and slots. Which is valued at probably around 2000 gold. And I've only spent 2500 gold on this game myself, so that is $15.

On the otherside, they hate the EU community and only pays attention to the
Russian community. This is probably because their headquarters are in Minsk and Belarus wants to have Russia on it's side.

I used to run the same mods. Tank carousel is necessary when you have a lot of tanks. I used to have like 25.

lol I have around that number and 2 rows wasn't enough I switched to 3.

But note, wargaming are really nice and gives you free special premium tanks and tank slots. Also does fun happenings. I've probably recieved 5 free premium tanks, and slots. Which is valued at probably around 2000 gold. And I've only spent 2500 gold on this game myself, so that is $15.

On the otherside, they hate the EU community and only pays attention to the

Russian community. This is probably because their headquarters are in Minsk and Belarus wants to have Russia on it's side.

Ya I forgot to mention that like the missions where you get a free tank, this months is a Dicker Max if u do mission every day of August :D

Casual WoT player here... I play around 2-4 hours a week when I'm not playing my other games... The one thing that is a turnoff for me is that the players usually have no strategy and communication or don't follow a suggested strategy when in battle... I have no clan or the like so I don't know how things go there, but I've lost more battles because of this... I have one of the premium Russian tanks (Tetrach) thanks to the invite code that got me set up with the game... Right now, I can say that the pay to win structure is slightly strong since you need the premium points to convert the exp from premium tanks, basically locking you in and keeping you paying...

For now, I've gone on a month long break since my last battle...

Casual WoT player here... I play around 2-4 hours a week when I'm not playing my other games... The one thing that is a turnoff for me is that the players usually have no strategy and communication or don't follow a suggested strategy when in battle... I have no clan or the like so I don't know how things go there, but I've lost more battles because of this... I have one of the premium Russian tanks (Tetrach) thanks to the invite code that got me set up with the game... Right now, I can say that the pay to win structure is slightly strong since you need the premium points to convert the exp from premium tanks, basically locking you in and keeping you paying...

I don't really think it's a pay to win that strongly though, as you can just grind out the tank you're at you dont HAVE to use free xp except for a couple of exception like horrible tanks. But yes there isn't much communication unless you do clan stuff.

Yeah. But the game is not pay 2 win, but pay 2 progress. 

Personally I've played in [XIII] And I'm a member of 3KR right now (even though I don't play). (Swedish clan, we talked over teamspeak 3.) 

I don't really think it's a pay to win that strongly though, as you can just grind out the tank you're at you dont HAVE to use free xp except for a couple of exception like horrible tanks. But yes there isn't much communication unless you do clan stuff.

Then I guess, this is not the game for me... I loved the idea though... I'm waiting for World of Warships right now since I'm expecting some of my other friends to start playing...

Personally I've played in [XIII] And I'm a member of 3KR right now (even though I don't play). (Swedish clan, we talked over teamspeak 3.) 

I feel that it becomes tedious once you reach Tier IV...

I've been a recovering tomato (for those of you who don't know tomato means you suck at the game and are getting better) which sucks when you have 4.5k battles since overall WN8 doesn't increase that quickly as of now I've been apart of RDDTX (RedditX) Although the other reddit clans are a bit dramaish and there are some bad political issues mainly most of the reddit clans don't own themselves as in Yoda and Damien own us basically.

Then I guess, this is not the game for me... I loved the idea though... I'm waiting for World of Warships right now since I'm expecting some of my other friends to start playing...

Getting to tier 5 is a big jump for a lot of people as the amount to research goes up a lot.

Nah, it is getting to tier 8-9 which is the hard part. I quit once I got the E-75 because it is waaaaay to expensive to research all stuff (like 110.000 experience for all stuff before it is good.)

Getting to tier 5 is a big jump for a lot of people as the amount to research goes up a lot.

I'll get there when I get there... I've been too busy preparing for the quarterly events in another game that I'm playing...

The July missions really screwed with my sleep schedule had 1 off day and now wake up at 3 in the afternoon and sleep at 5 AM. lol 

So I've been playing World of Tanks for about a year and a half now and took a break awhile ago and started playing again, I figured I'd review the Company and the game it self. Here goes I'm dividing it into two sections the company (Wargaming) and the game itself (World of Tanks)

The Company (Wargaming)

Wargaming, they have released 2 games so far which would be World of Tanks and World of Warplanes, I mostly have experience in tanks. They also have a closed beta going for there next game World of Warships. So first of all let's address support. Support. It SUCKS. The reason why everyone hates Wargaming's support is mainly they don't know what the fuck is going on. You send in a ticket as if you were going to RMA something... they usually get back to you within a day, but everytime you get a reply it's shuffled around as in the first person says provide specific info, you provide it and then a COMPLETELY different person replies again, either asking for a confirmation or more information. It also seems as if they just copy/paste something related to your issue. If you can't provide info the first response then the second person will reply with the same copy/paste response. Recently they've had an issue with Chargebacks and Fraud credit cards etc, because of this people's accounts are being perma-banned for no reason. The way it works is a bad person can gift you gold then chargeback and you get banned for it. Wait what?! If you send in a ticket to support about this they tell you to basically "Fuck off" but in a nice way of course. If you want to change your email you have to purchase something in the game as credit card verification, then tell them to change it. And if you change the email you have to define a new password, What's that you had your phone number binded to the account? Oh good you get a secruity code that NEVER comes through. Now I can't login to create a ticket. How do I deal with this? Make another account telling them the issue, they remove my phone number, and I can do the password reset through my email. Why wasn't there an option to pick? There simply retarded. In a lot of players opinions EA is an "Angel" compared to Wargaming. Someone said this (a player of World of Tanks and other Wargaming products): "It’s hard to imagine a shittier company than WG and people keep bitching about EA. EA are like angels compared to WG, who cares about their day 1 DLC since only some of their games are screwed now and then, not permanently like in WG’s case."

The game (World of Tanks)

The game is a good bit of fun, once you get good at it. It works upon a tier system specifically I-X (1-10). It also uses XP to unlock and research a new tank, credits to buy that tank, and of course gold and you guessed it there's the part where you start to spend money. Gold. Some of the tanks are called premium meaning they cost real money or gold. Although there is a lot of made up non-sense as far as the historicalness of a tank. As in sometimes they make up a random new turret. Although as of now they are starting to correct all of the made up non-sense but they have a specific tier 10 tank as of now that has had to have been overly buffed to even become competitive, but next patch they are going to bring it back to it's historical state in you guessed it a premium tier 8 tank. They have servers located as of now in Southeast Asia, US (East and West coast server), and Europe as of now. One problem with the game is that it is VERY VERY biased toward the Russian tank variant, as they are the cheapest to research with XP and also output the most damage. In World of Tanks it's not about kills its all about the damage (Although they have a special reward for "Kill stealers" If you 1 shot 3 tanks in a row you get the reaper medal. Now onto achievements (Medals) The game has a lot of different medals there are Mastery medals for how well you do compared to all the other players that played that tank in the last week in order of the best to worst: Ace Tanker, 1st Class, 2nd Class, and 3rd Class Mastery. The players are heavily focused on stats so if you suck and try to talk shit or ask people to go a certain route when your stats just reflect when you we're fooling around and learning the game, you basically get told to "shut the fuck up and no one gives a shit about you and your strategy" This drastically changes if you have VERY good stats though. The game uses different ways of calculating how good you are particulatly: Win Rate (% victory out of the total battles fought.), WN8 and WN7 (Ways of finding out your average damage levels) Also efficiency and performance (How well you make use of your tank's Gun, Armor, and Reload Speed). If you're able to get good at the game it is a lot of fun. There are also clans in the game and clan battles. The game is available on PC and Xbox 360, and iPad as of now, soon to be iPhone and Android. You can also platoon with people the same thing as being in the same battle and team as them, you can have up to 3 people in 1 platoon.

Some people have quit and found better alternatives from different companies though, mostly Warthunder and recently (At least in my clan) Robocraft.

If you'd like to get into playing the game here's some nice resources for you:

There website: http://worldoftanks.com/

Subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/worldoftanks

Amount of damage you should be doing in a given tank: http://www.targetdamage.com/nations

Official Wargaming Wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Tanks

Leaks and News about the game: http://ftr.wot-news.com/

Check your stats: http://wotlabs.net/

Hope you enjoyed my review about the company and there main game. I could get into it a lot more but my fingers are tired of typing and there is so much more about World of Tanks, World of Warplanes and World of Warships.

I'll be replying to anyone else's further questions about the game or the company.

I think I should download WOT as well as WOP :)

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

I think I should download WOT as well as WOP :)

How is the gameplay of WoP? Is the physics model ok? Is it playable on keyboard and mouse? Do I fly the plane using the fucking mouse?

How is the gameplay of WoP? Is the physics model ok? Is it playable on keyboard and mouse? Do I fly the plane using the fucking mouse?

I don't know yet. I will download the game and let you know :)

BTW, There are some Ninjas here, who have better download speed than me. They'll tell you before me :D 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON