Will a 290x DCii waterblock fit a 290 DCii?

Hi guys!

So I haven't been in the market for a graphics card in a while, so if theese questions have already been answered  here, let me know (tried searching on the forum).

1. Would the 290x DCii waterblock, fit the a 290 DCii?

(At least) EK makes a block, but I haven't been able to sort out if both cards have the same PCB layout etc. Read somewhere that the DCii cooler for 290x DCii, was recycled from the gtx 780, don't know if it's the  same for the 290 non-x...

2. Found a good deal on 290 DCii, been used for mining a couple of months, hence the low price (cheaper than second hand 770 2gb)... Now the obvious risk of failure aside, has anyone actually heard  of a graphics card dying as a result of mining? Every thread I've read has been the usual "BEWARE" of buying second hand mining cards, but so far I haven't found a single comment of a card actually dying, which made me sort of curious :) 

Thx in advance!    :lol:

Hi guys!

So I haven't been in the market for a graphics card in a while, so if theese questions have already been answered  here, let me know (tried searching on the forum).

1. Would the 290x DCii waterblock, fit the a 290 DCii?

(At least) EK makes a block, but I haven't been able to sort out if both cards have the same PCB layout etc. Read somewhere that the DCii cooler for 290x DCii, was recycled from the gtx 780, don't know if it's the  same for the 290 non-x...

2. Found a good deal on 290 DCii, been used for mining a couple of months, hence the low price (cheaper than second hand 770 2gb)... Now the obvious risk of failure aside, has anyone actually heard  of a graphics card dying as a result of mining? Every thread I've read has been the usual "BEWARE" of buying second hand mining cards, but so far I haven't found a single comment of a card actually dying, which made me sort of curious :)

Thx in advance!    :lol:

1. ek EK-FC R9-290X DCII - Nickel fits both the 290/290x using this version of PCB: 90YV05F1-M0NA00

2. yes, prolong mining can damage the GPU card. the gpu's ASIC quality erodes.

most will boot and function correctly, until you least expect it possible failure.

i have 3 eBay miner 7970 that are absolute pooh (22% ASIC or less) and will

function, but once loaded overheat, artifact, or crash. 

1. ek EK-FC R9-290X DCII - Nickel fits both the 290/290x using this version of PCB: 90YV05F1-M0NA00

2. yes, prolong mining can damage the GPU card. the gpu's ASIC quality erodes.

most will boot and function correctly, until you least expect it possible failure.

i have 3 eBay miner 7970 that are absolute pooh (22% ASIC or less) and will

function, but once loaded overheat, artifact, or crash. 

Thank you for taking the time man! Really appreciate it!  :)

I'm interested in a card for gaming and not mining, but I assume what you wrote about crashing, overheating etc. still applies  if an old mining card would be used for gaming? (even tough the GPU load when gaming usually is not as high as when mining)  Have you (or anyone you've heard of) ever tried re-applying thermal paste, pads etc, to see if the artifacts crashes and so on, are realted only to the card runnig too hot? Or is it material fatigue, caused by high temp over long periods of time?

Don't know the first thing about mining I'm afraid (sry ;) ), does the ASIC reduction matter for gaming performance too, or does it just apply to mining?

thx again :)    

Thank you for taking the time man! Really appreciate it!  :)

I'm interested in a card for gaming and not mining, but I assume what you wrote about crashing, overheating etc. still applies  if an old mining card would be used for gaming? (even tough the GPU load when gaming usually is not as high as when mining)  Have you (or anyone you've heard of) ever tried re-applying thermal paste, pads etc, to see if the artifacts crashes and so on, are realted only to the card runnig too hot? Or is it material fatigue, caused by high temp over long periods of time?

Don't know the first thing about mining I'm afraid (sry ;) ), does the ASIC reduction matter for gaming performance too, or does it just apply to mining?

thx again :)    

all depends on the cards environment, how long it was subjected to loads and like

high-voltage overclocking the processor onboard begins to degrade. once the

processor begins to degrade, there really isn't anything to "revive" the performance.

re-application of thermal material might help, but i'll usually open GPU-Z, right-click

the title bar and open the "Read ASIC Quality" value. this can provide a rough

guesstimate on the overall circuitry of the system. lower values tend to have longevity

issues. this happens to all processors. when used extensively they can/will degrade

and eventually fail.