Sennheiser momentum VS Beyerdynamic DT 770

apt-get install Windows

So I know The DT 770's are over two years old, but I can't help but compare them. They both have awesome reviews, but the DT 770's just strike me as better. It has three times more reviews and look a lot more high end. (it's also cheaper and more portable)

Thanks.

Also if there is a headphone you'd recommend over it in the same price range, I'd like to know about it :)

I cannot speak about D770 since I do not  own them. But I do own Momentums, they sound great, feel great and have great durable case.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

dt770 are studio grade stereo refereence phone, whereas the momentum is your stylish nice quality good sounding casual hifi phone. both great in their purpose.

if u need portability and decide for the momentum get the ie80 instead.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

What happens if we throw Astro A40's in there, can they compare to the DT770 or Momentum at all?

I have the A40  :) Just want to reference them to something I know the sound quality of.

dt770 are studio grade stereo refereence phone, whereas the momentum is your stylish nice quality good sounding casual hifi phone. both great in their purpose.

if u need portability and decide for the momentum get the ie80 instead.

I don't think a pair of earplugs can compare to a headphone...?

It can, but its down to what you want to do. There better portable headphones then the DT's and Momentums, 

from what came to my ears so far, the momentum is pretty much on the same level as the ie80, you will have to know what is best to go with your preferences.

edit: I own ie80's and i am pleased with how they sound.

I've owned a pair of DT770 600 Ohm and I wasn't super impressed with the sound. The treble was a bit too forward and brittle sounding. They do go very very deep in the bass. Around 25Hz was still audible! The build quality on the DT770 is very good and the comfort i decent, they might clamp a bit to begin with, but can be stretched to relieve the pressure. They are built like a tank and can survive abuse very well.

I heard some people say the the DT770 LE are a bit more lively and very easy to drive, so if you go the DT770 route, they might be for you. I haven't hear the Momentum yet, so I can't tell much about those, however if you want a more portable headphone, they are most likely better in that regard. You should also consider the V-Moda M-100, Beyerdynamic T51p and B&W P7 if you want a portable headphone.

from what came to my ears so far, the momentum is pretty much on the same level as the ie80, you will have to know what is best to go with your preferences.

edit: I own ie80's and i am pleased with how they sound.

Go with my preferences? all the reviews say they are both bass heavy and the midrange is clear and the decant is 'crystal clear'. To me they seem like the same thing only in a different form factor.. I have no Idea of what to think. I like a little bass, but I still want to hear the whole song as it was intended to sound..

Go with my preferences? all the reviews say they are both bass heavy and the midrange is clear and the decant is 'crystal clear'. To me they seem like the same thing only in a different form factor.. I have no Idea of what to think. I like a little bass, but I still want to hear the whole song as it was intended to sound..

Well should also be noted that you might have a fit issue with the Momentum, but you can find out if that can be resolved at the nearest Apple Store. 

v1S81aI.png

*Reading guide, the line represents amplitude (Loudness) at a give frequency (Sound)

I added some other solid portable options.

I'm surprised at the reviews saying the Momentums are bass heavy, I own them and I don't find them to be bass heavy in the slightest. I'd call them very well balanced. I also own the IE80's and those I do find bass heavy. Personally I prefer the Momentums. For me they're also very comfortable.

if you want to hear the song as it is intendet to sound, get the dt770 - thats their purpose (studio phones). If you want a not so much sterile i guess or plain sound, but a nice coloured sound with sennheisers sound signature then get the momentum.

i also dont want you to run around with those studio phones pluged to your iphone, if that is what u are up to. i would srsly rofl hard.

I'm surprised at the reviews saying the Momentums are bass heavy, I own them and I don't find them to be bass heavy in the slightest. I'd call them very well balanced. I also own the IE80's and those I do find bass heavy. Personally I prefer the Momentums. For me they're also very comfortable.

Awesome, what kind of music do you listen to?

if you want to hear the song as it is intendet to sound, get the dt770 - thats their purpose (studio phones). If you want a not so much sterile i guess or plain sound, but a nice coloured sound with sennheisers sound signature then get the momentum.

i also dont want you to run around with those studio phones pluged to your iphone, if that is what u are up to. i would srsly rofl hard.

Why the fuck would I use 80 ohm headphones on a phone? I have philip fidelio S2's and they are good enough for when I'm on the move. I'm leaning towards the momentum's because I'm more of a casual listener and don't normally use eq's, or amp's even. But if the IE80's prove equal to the momentum's, I'm selling the fidelio's and buying IE80's..

DT770
but really find the freq responce that suits you, cuz they sound REALLY different

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

I'm picking up the Sennheiser momentums tomorrow, I'll also buy a pair of IE80's to reference them. By Norwegian law I can return them both if I want, within a months time, so that's what I'm doing.

DT770's are out of the question, I'm not buying the 32 ohm version either, from what I've heard, they're really different.

Thanks for all the help :)

For christ's sake enough of this studio vs hi-fi bs. The DT 770 is nowhere near sterile or neutral.

For christ's sake enough of this studio vs hi-fi bs. The DT 770 is nowhere near sterile or neutral.

Butt its a studio headphone and therefore can only be used as such. 

Butt its a studio headphone and therefore can only be used as such. 

Fuq u I will use it for pop listening

Fuq u I will use it for pop listening

But its not the best for listening to Jordan Sparks on the way to the mall. 

But its not the best for listening to Jordan Sparks on the way to the mall. 

Prove it

Prove it

10/10 best for listening to Jordan Sparks at the mall.

616eg3N7QSL._SL1500_.jpg

10/10 best for listening to Jordan Sparks at the mall.

Pink though they may be, that's not how you prove something.