How good is the R9 270 really?

seiny

How good is it really?

What can you acheive with this card?

How much better is the 280x?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Have you tried looking at relevant benchmarks?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

How good is it really?

Stock it's pretty boring. Overclocked it's quite a beast for the price. Keeps up with the 760 no problem

"Rawr XD"

Good shit. Great Price:Performance. You can't compare this to the 280x because it is marginally faster in every aspect.

hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh SWIGGITY SWOOTY I'M COMING FOR THAT BOOTY hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh

huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue LINIXTEKTEPS R DE BES I LUV LINUX huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

Have you tried looking at relevant benchmarks?

I have, I'm looking for more information than that - It's to my understanding it was designed for 1080p how good is it for this?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I have, I'm looking for more information than that - It's to my understanding it was designed for 1080p how good is it for this?

What are you looking to use it for?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What are you looking to use it for?

1080p gaming - stuff like bf4 etc.

1080p gaming - stuff like bf4 etc.

There are benchmarks for that: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/3

How good is it really?

It's decent, good midranged card. For the money the performance is outstanding. Good for 1080p medium/high 60 fps.

There's a reason amd rebranded the 7870 to the 270. It's a oc'ing beast (with good cooling). I stress tested my MSI R7870-2GD5T/oc found the best performance/temps/noise oc. I m getting 1185 core 1450 mem 28-32c idle 68-72c load (max gpu temp 80c online). But fan's above 70% got to loud for me. Performs equal or close to a 7950(280) or 760, but will lack the AA performance of both those cards. See'ing increase of 8-15 fps depending on the game.

http://i.imgur.com/a8hyocl.png

http://i.imgur.com/eumRCAQ.png

[spoiler=Gaming Desktop ◣_◢ ] CPU: Amd FX8320 8core@4.4Ghz oc Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ (Artic Silver 5 Goo) Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-D3P am3/am3+ RAM: Gskill RipjawsX 16gbs ddr3(2x8gb) 1866mhz GPU: MSI R7870-2GD5T/oc 17.5% 1175core 1450mem Hdd: Sandisk 128Gb ssd boot drive, 2x1Tb Hitachi 7200rpm hdd, 2Tb WD MyBook 7200rpm external hdd PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+Bronze full Modular Case: Rosewill Challenger USB3.0v Mid-tower OS: W7 64bit Hp Keyboard:MS sidewinder 6x,Logitech K400 wireless Mouse:Logitech 318e Controller:xbox360 wired Monitor:23" Dell 1080p 60Hz LED-backlit LCD, 50" Sceptre 1080p 60Hz LED HDTVHeadphones:Turtlebeach X12 Speakers: Dell AX210 USB [spoiler=Workstation - retiring soon _ ]CPU: Amd 645 4core@3.1Ghz Mobo: ASRock A785GM-LE am3 RAM: Corsair 8gbs ddr3(4x2gb) 1333mhz GPU: XFX HD 5570 1gb ddr3 650core 900mem Hdd:1Tb Hitachi 7200rpm hdd  PSU: Antec BP350 350w

Case: DIYPC FM08-Blue2 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case OS: W7 64bit Hp [spoiler=Gaming Laptop ಠ_ಠ ] CPU: Intel I7- 4700hq 4core@2.4Ghz 3.4Ghz turbo  Model: MSI GE Series GE60 Apache Pro-003 Gaming Laptop RAM: Corsair 8gbs ddr3 (1x8gbs)1600mhz GPU: NVIDIA GTX 860M 2gbs gddr5 1029core 1253mem

Hdd: 1Tb WD 7200rpm hdd OS: W8.1 64bit Keyboard: Steel Series Gaming Backlit 102 keys Monitor: 15.6" LCD eDP Wide View Angle Headphones:Turtlebeach X12 Speakers: 4 x Speakers (2W)

R9 270 is an excellent card. I have one from Asus "R9 270 OC". Its just a HD7870 but given 30% more power on the GPU. From my stress test using uniengine valley here are my results for maximum oc (fps will not be posted as it varies on your cpu and game demands)

Manufactuer settings:

Base clock: 950mhz

Boost clock: 975mhz (but the card has this as standard default clock)

VDDC: 1.215

Memory: 1400mhz (5600mhz)

Idle temp: 32c

Fan: 10% (Auto settings)

Overclockable settings:

GPU: 1200mhz

Memory: 1520mhz (6100mhz)

VDDC: 1.215 (1.220 for a little more boost)

Temp: 73c

Fan: 45% 

This overclock gives you more than 15% increase in performance and achieves at least 6 - 8fps more in games. Very stable even at manfacturer coltage setting. I use MSI afterburner, but Asus OC software gives you control over voltage, where as MSI don't. 

If you people haven't watched Linus's review then here is the video:

well, the R9 270 beat all this cards (and many are old nice top line cards) just to start (she is awesome)  ^_^

GTX 480

GTX 580

HD 5870

HD 6970

(just for this i will buy one)

seiny

Dropping a few key settings cna more then double your framerate.

Such as Medium effects for much hgiher Minimum FPS

Well use AMD Raptr to optmize the game.

Those benchmarks are like worse case scenarios lol. Expect a much better experience.

My gtx 670 came 130% OC out fo the box and beat the everything out of 680's and 770's

Keep an eye oin MSI when 280x launched they explicitly mentioned it in the title that it was at 1,25 GHz.

It has a good behaving boost clock, it is not limited to 2 values.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Thanks everyone for your input - However there's still one question un-answered. How much better is the 280x? - I've seen the benchmarks and the only thing I can tell is its 10fps more on average, but how much better is it really?

Thanks everyone for your input - However there's still one question un-answered. How much better is the 280x? - I've seen the benchmarks and the only thing I can tell is its 10fps more on average, but how much better is it really?

yea :lol: lol

we skip this question because they are in a different league

the best way to see the difference here, is with a AAA game (a true monster game) like Tomb Raider

is the perfect card for new "AAA games" (the R9 280) when we will use more than 2GB of Vram (the R9 280 have 3GB)

without a doubt, if you can get the R9 280 (or the R9 280X, or the R9 290), go for it friend  B)

the keyword here is "bottleneck" from the 280 and up, they don't have it (except for is power difference)

What do you mean by that? Benchmarks show exactly what kind of difference you would be expecting. 

What do you mean by that? Benchmarks show exactly what kind of difference you would be expecting. 

I guess what I'm looking for is more information on graphics technology, like what is this 256bit and 384bit? Can you point me to an easy to understand article