80 PLUS Gold vs 80 PLUS Platinum

BCreation

Depends really, on your usage, the specific unit and what exactly you want from your power supply.

Higher-end units typically are more reliable, higher efficiencies mean less heat created, higher quality internals result in longer lifespans and such. A higher-quality power supply will typically last longer, plus it would output cleaner power with better voltage regulation and ripple suppression which can also improve the longevity of the other components.

Is it worth the extra money? If you wish for better reliability then perhaps, though most Gold rated units are typically excellent anyways. Your choice, but it's definitely more of a luxury over a necessity.

I don't think it is. Between gold and platinum, the difference is very slight, i don't, personally, think it is worth the extra money.

Some Gold PSU are near the Platinum award. Now the Platinum PSUs cost a lot more than the Gold ones because it's a new standard. If you are going to buy in a short time just take a Gold one to have the best bang for the buck

• MB MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K + Corsair H60 + 2x Alpenfohn Wing Boost

RAM Corsair Dominator 16 GB

GPU MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II / OC

SC Asus Xonar D2X

SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB

HDD WD Black 1 TB + Blue 1 TB + Green 500 GB

PSU Corsair HX650

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black

Rheobus NZXT Sentry LXE

Monitor: 3x LG IPS231P + Philips 298P4Q

Hi-Fi Onkyo HT-S3305

OS Windows 8.1 Pro

In my opinion it is not worth the money, but the best is always unreasonably expensive. If you want a high end computer/psu and money isn't that important buy a 80+ platinum, in any other scenario a 80+ gold psu would be the better choice.

I remember reading a few efficiency articles back in the day that said you'd have to run 24/7 for 5 years to make up the difference in cost between typical Gold and Platinum PSUs so it's not really worth it. If you can find something within the same price range that'd be good though; I price matched a Corsair AX860 to $155 CAD for a new build recently so I consider that to have been a great find.

Thats actually the power supply I was debating on. I can spend the extra money on an AX860i, but it has red on it, which doesn't not match my theme. So I went with the AX850 because it has a neutral colour. Don't laugh, but when its this minimal, I prefer looks over performance :)

The whole '80plus' logo doesn't really mean much. The companies can completely cherry pick what they sent to get tested.

Indeed most companies don't, but the possibility is unfortunately there!

I don't think there is a big difference anyways. If 80 plus silver has a notable difference in price as 80 plus gold, i'd go with the silver one. Platinum is just soo overpriced.

Gold and Platinum are so close that its not really worth the extra i have a platinum but got it for a little marked down so it was the same price. also gold is plenty good! and a some high end gold psu are so good they can almost get the platinum rating but they are just a little short so don't worry about it.

My "Gold rating" power supply broke on me within the first 3 weeks, so i wouldn't say it's flawless method of determining reliability and efficiency.

My "Gold rating" power supply broke on me within the first 3 weeks' date=' so i wouldn't say it's flawless method of determining reliability and efficiency. [/quote']

It's really just a marketing ploy. EVERYONE wants to hear that they'll be saving money on their power bill.

Platinum just sounds better. If you are going to buy a PSU for a few years $40 is not much extra to pay. You may even save the extra money back by the savings even if its just 2% better.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

My "Gold rating" power supply broke on me within the first 3 weeks, so i wouldn't say it's flawless method of determining reliability and efficiency.
80plus certification is for efficency, not for reliability. As something produced in large number by a machine it can break as every part of our PCs.

• MB MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K + Corsair H60 + 2x Alpenfohn Wing Boost

RAM Corsair Dominator 16 GB

GPU MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II / OC

SC Asus Xonar D2X

SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB

HDD WD Black 1 TB + Blue 1 TB + Green 500 GB

PSU Corsair HX650

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black

Rheobus NZXT Sentry LXE

Monitor: 3x LG IPS231P + Philips 298P4Q

Hi-Fi Onkyo HT-S3305

OS Windows 8.1 Pro

Platinum just sounds better. If you are going to buy a PSU for a few years $40 is not much extra to pay. You may even save the extra money back by the savings even if its just 2% better.

We're back to the problem of efficiency not always reflecting good quality.

If you are a proffesional business running a ton of extreme high end workstations then there may be a small saving but not that much. They are quite a bit more money for not that much performance. Most of the time your power supply will be running at the same efficiency level of about 84-88 % at mid load no matter whether it is a gold rated PSU or a platinum rated one. Save your self a few bucks man unless you are going for bragging rights with people. Up to you man but you will never make up the price difference in an energy saving. In terms of reliability they are probably about the same and with the mean time before failure as high as it is these days and the warranties so long you will probably want a new one before you need one.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

The whole '80plus' logo doesn't really mean much. The companies can completely cherry pick what they sent to get tested.
Also many review companies go out and buy one legitimately so that this is a possibility and also businesses can't just say a product has an efficiency level when it does not.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

My "Gold rating" power supply broke on me within the first 3 weeks' date=' so i wouldn't say it's flawless method of determining reliability and efficiency. [/quote']

Efficiency it is the only method; a gold rating PSU is very efficient. That doesn't mean it's reliable though; lots of things break or are DOA, some don't provide enough power, others just kick the bucket early.

Reliability is a tough thing to measure in the tech industry. It differs from person to person.

• 3 years later...
5 minutes ago, technologyoverhaul said:

gold is just fine platinum isnt really worth the extra cash

Well hello there xD 

I don't know where did you find that topic, but it's like 3,5 years old lol

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB