How does folding help people?

ddbtkd456

I know what folding is the bending of proteins that uses your CPU via a program when your screensaver turns on...but wouldn't it wear on the cpu after a while? Also how does it benefit people other then the universities?

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Basically you are letting them use your processing power. They have a lot of numbers to crunch and your PC can help doing it.

well its like a charity you could say u are letting people use ur PC to find a cure what its doing is just number crunching and it shouldn't effect ur CPU much if u keep it cool

well its like a charity you could say u are letting people use ur PC to find a cure 

I know what it is...but wouldn't it wear on your cpu after a while?

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Yeah, I guess. Part of the charity part. :P

Yeah, I guess. Part of the charity part. :P

Hmm...I suppose if you had it water cooled and non overclocked it wouldn't wear on it that fast...kinda cool tho..

How does medical research help anyone besides the medical researchers?

I suppose your right...lol

it takes years for a CPU to "wear off" and watercooling it or not won't make a difference. When the CPU gets to the point where it performs noticeably less, then i'ts probably 6-8 years later and that CPU isn't relevant anymore.

Most folding is done via GPU anyway :P

Is it really....the website said cpu...

it takes years for a CPU to "wear off" and watercooling it or not won't make a difference. When the CPU gets to the point where it performs noticeably less, then i'ts probably 6-8 years later and that CPU isn't relevant anymore.

True...besides you'll probably upgrade long before it wears out...suppose I never thought of that.

Is it really....the website said cpu...

Trust me the majority of the folding community uses GPUs, its more efficient than using the CPU. 

That's why you have people asking about what card they should buy for a folding rig. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Trust me the majority of the folding community uses GPUs, its more efficient than using the CPU. 

That's why you have people asking about what card they should buy for a folding rig. 

So crossfire 290x would be good enough?

So crossfire 290x would be good enough?

That will be fine however you'll want to run the cards separately having each card fold on its own work unit. 

There should be a chart somewhere online that compares how many work units each gpu can get done in a 24 hour basis. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

That will be fine however you'll want to run the cards separately having each card fold on its own work unit. 

There should be a chart somewhere online that compares how many work units each gpu can get done in a 24 hour basis. 

Wow I learned so much useful information unintentionally that's pretty great. Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmQ6YZGMTUpFdHhxNkptVncyR2k4dVV6WDBmQXRJYVE&gid=3

The worst case of CPU degradation I've heard of at non crazy voltages I've heard of was going from 4.7GHz stable at 1.408V to 1.45V after 7 months of 24/7 100% load.

If you're at stock or a low voltage, I wouldn't expect much of a problem.

Question: How do you know exactly what the folding program is doing? I'm just curious because I remember an episode of NCIS (and this is probably a stupid thing to think of) where a guy hid a program inside the code of an MMO, that basically used every computer playing this game, to crack the encryption of some (insert random government agency) and hack their computer base.

Sure its probably something that shouldn't be worried about, but it is a computer program designed to break up the load of a single task (I think) across many many computers.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Question: How do you know exactly what the folding program is doing? I'm just curious because I remember an episode of NCIS (and this is probably a stupid thing to think of) where a guy hid a program inside the code of an MMO, that basically used every computer playing this game, to crack the encryption of some (insert random government agency) and hack their computer base.

Sure its probably something that shouldn't be worried about, but it is a computer program designed to break up the load of a single task (I think) across many many computers.

Hahaha its always a pleasure reading what you have to say....lmao...in a good way of course.

Hahaha its always a pleasure reading what you have to say....lmao...in a good way of course.

Well, it's not just my usual paranoia, I would love to help out the medical community (especially because I'm a smoker).

Seriously though, how do you actually know what the program being run on your computer, is doing? I was merely using the NCIS episode as an example.

I'm just naturally distrusting of anything involving networked computers, which is why I never put anything vitally important to me on any computer that's hooked to the internet

Well, it's not just my usual paranoia, I would love to help out the medical community (especially because I'm a smoker).

Seriously though, how do you actually know what the program being run on your computer, is doing? I was merely using the NCIS episode as an example.

You don't imagine if all the people using this folding program where accomplices in this crime.....they wouldn't even begin to be able to process that many people.

You don't imagine if all the people using this folding program where accomplices in this crime.....they wouldn't even begin to be able to process that many people.

A good point, but still, does the program allow you to actually see what it's doing? or is it just a background program?

A good point, but still, does the program allow you to actually see what it's doing? or is it just a background program?

It's a trojan runs when the screensaver is enabled...thus making it so you cant see a damn thing...