Is PhysX worth getting the 770 over the 290?

Glenwing

Just making sure here, you guys are not specifically speaking about me now are you?

Yes you all you all about you .... Only in MMMerica

See, what I tell you total fanboyism

No it is not fan boy talk.  I love physX but I have bought AMD cards before ..... even if it was for my son.  Also while the 280, 280x and 290 prices have been coming down I also noticed some decent deals on cards greater than the 770 in recent days.

Also it is fact ....

The Witcher 3 will be played the way it was meant to be played only with Nvidia.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Get the GTX 770.  Play games the way they were meant to be played.  Why would you want something inferior from AMD?  PhysX is awesome.  

And look at this list and notice ...

Witcher 3 is getting GPU PhysX!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardware-accelerated_PhysX_support

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/physx/games

K. Pretty sure any Intel CPU made after 2k12 can easily handle PhysX. Excuse we while while I go play Batman (aka Coat Flapping Simulator 2014)

PhysX is worthless, true. CUDA does what it says, It's great. And nothing can replace Shadowplay. Totally zero peroformance loss and you don't have to record the whole thing.

And I don't know where you see a 290 is cheaper . 770 - 389$    290 - 499$

AMD GVR. Works in the same exact way as shadowplay... Shadowplay is nothing special and GVR works in over 25,000 games... much more than nvidia's shadowplay.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

K. Pretty sure any Intel CPU made after 2k12 can easily handle PhysX. Excuse we while while I go play Batman (aka Coat Flapping Simulator 2014)

AMD GVR. Works in the same exact way as shadowplay... Shadowplay is nothing special and GVR works in over 25,000 games... much more than nvidia's shadowplay.

Go to the comparison videos and see that physX done with Nvidia is better.  Borderlands 2 definitely shows it.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Go to the comparison videos and see that physX done with Nvidia is better.  Borderlands 2 definitely shows it.

Watched a Borderlands 2 comparison and I saw a notable difference however, I think that's just due to the fact that BO2 is appears to be running Xbox graphics from 2001 and physx merely unlocks a bit of modern PC gaming power. I also looked at a Metro LL benchmark with and without physx and I noticed 2 things. Physx cost 5-10 fps and had little difference due to the fact that the game was already coded fairly well to start with. Physx was cool a while ago when games were lackluster graphically and there was a lack of hardware power. But being that it's 2k14, I wouldn't buy a GPU solely for something that could be described as "gimmicy" graphical features. That can be had with or without said GPU manufacturer.

Edit: In all seriousness, if they made a Goat Simulator like game but it was Diarrhea Simulator and had realistic splatter courtesy of physx, I'd actually buy an nvidia GPU for it. 

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Hence why i suggest get the 770 if you play Borderlands 2 every day till the next Borderland sequel is out.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

What's that smiley about?

Lenny face. Use it in literally any situation

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Yes, but only because Nvidia > AMD

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If you're playing games like Borderlands 2 and you play other games or use some programs that utilise the PhysX engine then and only then I would choose the 770 over the 290. Otherwise, there is no reason to. 

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

I'm gonna go with yes, simply because I'm nVidia fanboy and AMD haters... B)

PhysX rulleeeesssssssssssss.... and ShadowPlay... and GameStream!!!! and I'm rich... AMD is for poor gamers... :rolleyes:

okay, on serious note... PhysX shouldn't be all the reason you want in a GPU... There are more games that use Havok compared to PhysX but for me, PhysX is more beautiful and if it's available I want to use it... so if you have the money go for it... if a gimmicky effects is not really something you appreciate just go for AMD...

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

NOOOOOOOO (And I love PhysX)
I like Nvidia more than AMD but the R9-290 is sooo much better that it would be stupid to take the 770.

RTX2070OC 

Yes, but only because Nvidia > AMD

Oh wow, most helpful post evah! :rolleyes: 

This kind of fanboy attitude/talk is deplorable, only serves to show that you are closed minded..... <_<

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) be smart get the 290

No reason for physx at all

as the vid says "dont let the Nvidia hype fool you" :ph34r: 

i love my 770. borderlands is way better with physx

CPU- Intel i9 9900k | Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I | RAM- Kingston HyperX 32GB | GPU- Nvidia 2080ti Reference

Case- NCase v6.1 | Storage- x2 2tb WD m.2  | PSU- Corsair SF750 | Cooling- NZXT Kraken X52

Oh wow, most helpful post evah! :rolleyes:

This kind of fanboy attitude/talk is deplorable, only serves to show that you are closed minded..... <_<

Meh, it's the same logic I generally see from AMD fans so I just thought I'd bring in some balance.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Meh, it's the same logic I generally see from AMD fans so I just thought I'd bring in some balance.

Well, if you want to see less lackluster logic around here i wouldn't add more fuel to the fire.

PhysX is just a bunch of bullshit. The only thing I would consider for NVIDIA is their ShadowPlay because AMD's Game DVR sucks balls.

I noticed that you actually had a vapor-x instead of just being a blatant nvidia fanboy like a lot of people on this forum, and i'm wondering what's different?

I've never actually used shadowplay, and i can't quite understand what's different?

Maybe an nvidia user could try game dvr, as it now supports both manufacturers?

Not many games use it, but physx is pretty awesome.  It and their better driver support are the main reasons I'm going to keep going with nvidia.  

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.