Building a new workstation

Of the ones at the site: http://www.steg-electronics.ch/de/article/corsair-obsidian-550d-892943.aspx and http://www.steg-electronics.ch/de/article/fractal-design-define-r4-black-167993.aspx would be my choice.

Nanoxia, http://www.nanoxia-world.com/, is a German company that makes the Deep Silence line of cases. You may want to see if they are available locally.

Nzxt http://www.nzxt.com/, has the H Series line of cases that are designed for quiet operation. The H440 is quite attractive and fairly popular at the moment.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Of the ones at the site: http://www.steg-electronics.ch/de/article/corsair-obsidian-550d-892943.aspx and http://www.steg-electronics.ch/de/article/fractal-design-define-r4-black-167993.aspx would be my choice.

Nanoxia, http://www.nanoxia-world.com/, is a German company that makes the Deep Silence line of cases. You may want to see if they are available locally.

Nzxt http://www.nzxt.com/, has the H Series line of cases that are designed for quiet operation. The H440 is quite attractive and fairly popular at the moment.

I think i'll go with the 550D, would you recommend buying some aditional fans, or just using the stock ones and keeping the normally covered fan mounts closed?

I think i'll go with the 550D, would you recommend buying some aditional fans, or just using the stock ones and keeping the normally covered fan mounts closed?

Fans are one of the easiest things to change. I like to start with stock and only add if it proves necessary. Part of the reason is that every environment is different and until the system is operating with usual loads in that environment it is difficult to know if lower noise levels are required. Stock cooling should be sufficient for the parts.

Fans are one of the easiest things to change. I like to start with stock and only add if it proves necessary. Part of the reason is that every environment is different and until the system is operating with usual loads in that environment it is difficult to know if lower noise levels are required. Stock cooling should be sufficient for the parts.

okay, thanks ^^

i've also added a card reader (Icy Box IB-865) 

500Watts should be sufficent for the system, right? i would go with 600 or more, but they don't have any fanless ones with more than 500W <.< the Super Flower 500P14FG is fanless, half-modular and has an 80+ Platinum rating.

okay, thanks ^^

i've also added a card reader (Icy Box IB-865) 

500Watts should be sufficent for the system, right? i would go with 600 or more, but they don't have any fanless ones with more than 500W <.< the Super Flower 500P14FG is fanless, half-modular and has an 80+ Platinum rating.

The Superflower fanless are very well regarded. Seasonic has a 520W fanless (SSR-520FL2) which is also well thought of. I believe that anything larger will have a fan. That said, there are a number of psu that do not start running their fan until the load/temperature require it. Essentially these units are fanless until somewhere around 400W - depending on model and size.

The Superflower fanless are very well regarded. Seasonic has a 520W fanless (SSR-520FL2) which is also well thought of. I believe that anything larger will have a fan. That said, there are a number of psu that do not start running their fan until the load/temperature require it. Essentially these units are fanless until somewhere around 400W - depending on model and size.

Yeah i'm using a Corsair ax760i myself. but i'd like to use a fanless one just for well... using one xD (i have weird priorities '-')

so yeah if it power is sufficent, which i'm pretty sure but would like confirmation for, there'd have to be a really good reason to use another one.

I've just realised that i might not be able to use that PSU simply because of the Cables ... it has one Cable with 4 Sata connectors and one with 2 molex and 2 Sata connectors ... 2 SSD, 2 HDD the DVD-RW drive + the card reader each need one, right? which would mean that even if the 4x Sata can connect to the 4 storage drives in the bottom front it might still be hard or imposible to get the 2x molex + 2times up to the DVD and card reader bays...

looking at the picture we see about how long the cables are ... the PSU is 170mm long i estimate the cables to be about 600-700mm long... 

according to techpowerup their lenghts are the following: 

SATA (550 mm+110 mm+110 mm+110 mm)

SATA (550 mm+110 mm) / 4 pin Molex (+110 mm+110 mm)

(i'm only worried about the sata ones)

the cases dimensions are 531mm x 221mm x 495mm

of course the cable starts at the end of the psu, 170mm into the case, a 5.25" drive is 203 mm long, making cathetus a (being the lenght of the case minus psu and drives) roughly 260mm

cathetus b is about 450mm (height minus about the height of about 45mm from top,  roughly where the first drive bay sits)

using those we can estimate a hypotenuse of about 520mm ... but it most likely won't be able to run the cable straight through the back, due to other cables. so yeah it's pretty close i think... what do you think? keep in mind i'm talkin about the SATA (550 mm+110 mm+110 mm+110 mm) Cable here and the first ones are the sata ones.

superflower_09.jpg

Ps. why does the (i guess) CPU cable have to be blue? xD it's literally the only blue thing in my completly black with a bit of red on the mobo build xD and of course there's also the PNY Quadro with a bit of green... '-'

Yeah i'm using a Corsair ax760i myself. but i'd like to use a fanless one just for well... using one xD (i have weird priorities '-')

so yeah if it power is sufficent, which i'm pretty sure but would like confirmation for, there'd have to be a really good reason to use another one.

I doubt the system as outlined i post #26 will draw more than 400W.

I've just realised that i might not be able to use that PSU simply because of the Cables ... it has one Cable with 4 Sata connectors and one with 2 molex and 2 Sata connectors ... 2 SSD, 2 HDD the DVD-RW drive + the card reader each need one, right? which would mean that even if the 4x Sata can connect to the 4 storage drives in the bottom front it might still be hard or imposible to get the 2x molex + 2times up to the DVD and card reader bays...

The card reader uses USB 3.0 to interface with the motherboard. It will get both power and data through that connection. You may need an extension cable to get to the optical drive. Both extensions and splitters are relatively inexpensive and readily available. Cable lengths can be found in a chart on http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=244.

You will have an issue with front USB 3.0 ports. The motherboard has a single USB 3.0 header which will be needed for the card reader. The USB ports on the case will have to use the USB 3.0 to 2.0 adapter that comes with the case.

i'll go with an external usb card reader then.

i'll go with an external usb card reader then.

Good idea.

So i've ordered the parts and they should arrive in about 2-3 weeks. Now that that's taken care off i'm searching for a good backup software which creates a new backup of certain folders on a daily base, it's important that it creates a new copy of choosen folders every time and keeps them saved for about 2 to 3 weeks. any recommentions? i've heard that "Novastor NovaBACKUP Pro" and "Acronis TrueImage Home" should be pretty good.

So i've ordered the parts and they should arrive in about 2-3 weeks. Now that that's taken care off i'm searching for a good backup software which creates a new backup of certain folders on a daily base, it's important that it creates a new copy of choosen folders every time and keeps them saved for about 2 to 3 weeks. any recommentions? i've heard that "Novastor NovaBACKUP Pro" and "Acronis TrueImage Home" should be pretty good.

It would be nice to see a build log.

I have used Acronis True Image for several years and like it. It has numerous options for scheduling & retaining backups. One can have complete images, incremental or differential with periodic complete. One can retain a certain number of copies or set a limit on the amount of storage to be consumed. One can have multiple backup jobs defined and scheduled.

A feature of complete backups that I really like is the ability to mount them as a drive. I also like the fact that the software can email completion and/or failure notices.

Acronis seems like a good choice then ^^ i'll maybe wait for some more opinnions and decide ^^
I'll be sure to upload pictures of the finished build and say something about how silent it is and if it is what i expected it to be, however i don't know yet if i'll do a full build guide.