Asus Maximus VII Hero USB 3 issues

Hey guys.
I'm having as strange USB issue with my Maximus VII Hero.

Certain ports like certain USB devices.
I picked up a Audioengine D1 Dac, all but the lower USB 3 ports (circled in image) didn't work with the DAC at all, I get a warning about a hardware malfunction.
I had a friend bring over a USB 3 hard drive, it would work in anything but the lower 2 as well, same with my USB 3 hub.

Yet my Keyboard and mouse are connected to the black USB 2 ports work fine (DAC wouldn't work in them either), USB 3 flash drives, printer, USB 2.0 2.5" hard drive, MS Xbox360 wireless receiver, mobile phone all work perfectly in every port.
I also have a PCI slot USB 2 panel connected to the internal USB 2 ports and everything works perfectly in them too.

Is there something wrong with my motherboards or do the bottom 2 ports supply more power than the others?

post-59432-0-17102500-1406683553.jpg

@Schoolofmonkey

Are you sure that the drivers are completely installed?  Sometimes some ports (particularly USB 3 ports) require drivers to function properly in Windows.  

If that doesn't work, you should probably call ASUS and talk to them.  You may have to RMA the board.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

@Schoolofmonkey

Are you sure that the drivers are completely installed?  Sometimes some ports (particularly USB 3 ports) require drivers to function properly in Windows.  

If that doesn't work, you should probably call ASUS and talk to them.  You may have to RMA the board.  

Drivers are installed.

This is my second Hero board since I bought the system 3 weeks ago, first one had a missing CPU pin.

Starting to think I might return the Hero for a refund and get another brand.

Drivers are installed.

This is my second Hero board since I bought the system 3 weeks ago, first one had a missing CPU pin.

Starting to think I might return the Hero for a refund and get another brand.

a string of bad luck i guess

see if you can get the MSI Gaming 5 mobo

if this helps

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

This is the error message I'm getting when using the middle USB 3 ports, and the top USB 2 ports with the DAC.

Nothing else I'm having problems with.

Yet the DAC works in the bottom USB 3 ports and the internal USB 2 ports.

Strange issue this one.

Oh and if I plug in a USB 3 hub into the middle USB 3 and top USB 2 ports the DAC works perfectly through the hub....

Guess that proves the USB ports are find...

But the plot thickens...

post-59432-0-00412100-1406695215.jpg

I returned the Hero board and got a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming G1 Black Edition instead.

ALL USB PORTS WORK PERFECTLY WITH THE DAC, and strangely enough so does my front panel that wouldn't work with the Hero AT ALL.

Fans are oddly places for the CPU fans, but the cpu_opt header is in the perfect place for the H110 pump.

My run with Asus/ROG is over, I've always bough ASROCK and Gigabyte in the past (I know they Asrock are Asus, but made in a different factory).

In the last 12 months I've had a dodgy Maximus IV Extreme, 2 overheating buzzing GTX780ti DCUII's, and now 2 bad Hero's.

Would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth I think.

I returned the Hero board and got a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming G1 Black Edition instead.

ALL USB PORTS WORK PERFECTLY WITH THE DAC, and strangely enough so does my front panel that wouldn't work with the Hero AT ALL.

Fans are oddly places for the CPU fans, but the cpu_opt header is in the perfect place for the H110 pump.

My run with Asus/ROG is over, I've always bough ASROCK and Gigabyte in the past (I know they Asrock are Asus, but made in a different factory).

In the last 12 months I've had a dodgy Maximus IV Extreme, 2 overheating buzzing GTX780ti DCUII's, and now 2 bad Hero's.

Would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth I think.

good choice of mobo mate

Asus ROG are overrated IMO

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

good choice of mobo mate

What do they say, "Go big or Go home"...lol.

No more ROG for me, I nearly bought a ROG GTX780ti Matrix, feeling relieved I bought the Classified instead..

damn, I've always had good time with Asus boards, seems like your just not lucky with em. 

Try a gigabyte board, I've never used MSI so I cant say.

But what I would do if I were you is try their Asus z97 pro or sabertooth, I love the TUF boards.