Netflix cut a deal with AT&T, will be online soon

Dietrichw

TBH, the more Netflix bends over to these ISPs, the more I lose the urge to care for giving them subscription money. I like my companies like I like my women, filled with integrity. Would rather see the SS Netflix sink rather than give these scumbag companies money to not be dicks about their service. Maybe when Netflix is dead, people will actually start to care more.

You act like they have a choice in this matter. It's pay or have horrible, basically unwatchable connections on 90% of the internet connections in the entire bloody country. It's not like it's just a couple small companies extorting money here. Comcast, AT&T, Verzion, and Time Warner are four of the top five ISPs in the country and combined control the connections of almost every single person online in the US. Netflix is a business, a publicly traded on I might add, their goal is to stay in business and keep making money. They are under a legal obligation to their share holders to do things in the best interests of staying alive and not burning the company to the ground. Beyond that Netflix is doing everything they can to fight against this BS, but in the mean time they have no choice. That's like telling someone they should refuse to pay protection to the mob out of principal. Sure it sounds nice when you're not the one in danger, but to the person there is no real second option.

very disappointing. meanwhile ISPs are still trying to say the 4 mbit down is broadband to continue their poor service.

It's a little bit like DLC for games. you shouldn't need to pay for it, but we pay it and they keep making us pay it.

It's an easy way for them to make money. like when you have a dorm or whatever pre-connected to broadband but they make you pay for it via monthly subscription but for 2 Mbps/10 Mbps/or 20 Mbps for £10/ £20/ or £30 respectively. its already there and working but if they can limit you they can make you pay more.

Problem being is that when you own the networks Net neutrality is a very blurry line.

can anyone see I'm annoyed at a lot of things?  :P

I5 3570K, MSI Z77A G45, 8GB 2133MHz Gskill Ripjaws, MSI TwinFrozr GTX 780, Samsung 840 Evo SSD, WD Green 1TB HDD, OCZ 750 Watt PSU, Zalman Z11+ 

I'm out of words at this point.

8rxfh.jpg

Isn't that like saying some random person can sleep on your property without having to deal with the property owners rules? Can't follow the rules then get out.

Good time to start stringing ethernet cable all over your neighborhood on your own. Good luck.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Did Linus decide to be sponsored by AT&T? I certainly hope not, because of issues like this.

I really hope that the FCc actually does something that helps the consumer here. If they don't, then the U.S. is basically screwed. We need the FCC to regulate this and stop it from affecting the people any more than it has.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

I don't understand what can Netflix possibly be thinking by digging it's own grave like this: there's no fucking way they'll have any fucking money left after being gang banged by ISPs on the back while they continue to receive a bukakke from the content holders in the front anyway.

I guess Americans will have to give up the streaming thing and just go back to watch endless sing competitions and shows about baking fucking cakes.

Pay up to ISPs or lose customer base. Neither are worth it really. Honestly Netflix could probably sue these dumb ISPs for interfering with their businesses. This would be like the ISPs throttling valve. GabeN would be on their asses with lawsuits over that. The Internet is meant to be open. Not monopolized

Pay up to ISPs or lose customer base. Neither are worth it really. Honestly Netflix could probably sue these dumb ISPs for interfering with their businesses. This would be like the ISPs throttling valve. GabeN would be on their asses with lawsuits over that. The Internet is meant to be open. Not monopolized

True but if it would be just a lawsuit why even have the fcc? not to mention verizon sued the fcc and won, they'd win against Netflix on that precedent alone. Which is depressing as all fucking hell

-------

Current Rig

-------

TBH, the more Netflix bends over to these ISPs, the more I lose the urge to care for giving them subscription money. I like my companies like I like my women, filled with integrity. Would rather see the SS Netflix sink rather than give these scumbag companies money to not be dicks about their service. Maybe when Netflix is dead, people will actually start to care more.

Yeah but would you rather have working Netflix or no Netflix at all? You need to decide which is more important to you, freedom or Netflix.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah but would you rather have working Netflix or no Netflix at all? You need to decide which is more important to you, freedom or Netflix.

Netflix could take advantage of this mentality of its users and just shut off their service for a day, a few days, a week, whatever. Just have the entire site redirect to a page explaining what net neutrality is and what's going on behind the scenes, which the vast majority of people are absolutely oblivious to. I think we all know how insanely frustrating it is when you really want to watch the next episode of House but the Netflix servers are down for whatever reason, and the 10 or 15 minute wait for them to go back up feels like an eternity. Well if this shit continues, there very well may not be a Netflix at some point in the near future, and a Netflix blackout would make many more people aware of this and the current net neutrality issues. Of course Netflix would lose a lot of money if they did something like this, but in the long run it just might prove to be more beneficial than detrimental, and not just to Netflix but to the internet as a whole.

As I said in the "government insiders claim net neutrality is nearly inevitable", when government says "nearly" that means "pfff, fuck you, not happening". I suppose the only way they will get the message is for american consumers to drop their ISP's when the price shoots up, and tank the economy over their bullshit, not that that will happen either.

Oh humanity, Y U DO DIS?!

y_u_do_dis_happen_by_governmentsweetbeef

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs