Request for help on the G3258 overclock

Hello all. Just built my computer today after I saw the cpu was stable at stock speed I went into the bios to overclock it. I applied my settings and rebooted. I checked the multiplier with cpu z and it appeared as if nothing had changed. Any suggestions? I forgot to mention this is on my stock z97 a board

Are you looking at the right spot?

NvmNS3e.png

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

^^this

or use this 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Hello all. Just built my computer today after I saw the cpu was stable at stock speed I went into the bios to overclock it. I applied my settings and rebooted. I checked the multiplier with cpu z and it appeared as if nothing had changed. Any suggesttr

try to re apply your settings make sure u hit save and exit and try again. i know some mb that dont take the oc will reset its self so boot back into the bios after applying and see if it stays then boot to windows.

CPU:I7-4790K @ 4.8ghz MOTHERBOARD:MSI-Z97-G45 Ram:G-SKILL SNIPER 8GB 1866 GPU:Msi GTX 970 4G COOLER:PHANTEK PH TC14PE BK 3 FAN CONFIG PSU:Roswell Lightning 1300W HDD: 1TB WD, 2TB SEGATE Mushkin 120GB SSD CASE:COOLER MASTER HAF 922

Thank you all for replying so quickly! Yes vacsol I did. It shows the multiplier at 8-36 no matter what I change it to.

(if this isn't the correct thread I hope a mod can move it)

Thank you all for replying so quickly! Yes vacsol I did. It shows the multiplier at 8-36 no matter what I change it to.

try my solution make sure your oc is staying after bios restart.

CPU:I7-4790K @ 4.8ghz MOTHERBOARD:MSI-Z97-G45 Ram:G-SKILL SNIPER 8GB 1866 GPU:Msi GTX 970 4G COOLER:PHANTEK PH TC14PE BK 3 FAN CONFIG PSU:Roswell Lightning 1300W HDD: 1TB WD, 2TB SEGATE Mushkin 120GB SSD CASE:COOLER MASTER HAF 922

No it didn't apply. I'm not quite sure why though. Any ideas?

you may half to manually set your volts for the mb to accept your over clock what board do you have. 

Did you watch the video?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Yes sir I did. I rebooted into the bios after I applied my settings and they didn't stay applied

Firstly, what motherboard do you have?  Secondly, how did you overclock?  Did you change the multiplier and the voltage and did you change the cache ratio or leave it for now?  

I'd recommend clearing your overclock, updating your bios and trying again?   

Z97 a board. I did manually set voltage

hmm, is the bios updated?  And did it say the changes you made when you said save and exit, or did you hit discard my mistake?

It should say Changed voltage to (blah blah blah) changed frequency to sync all cores to (blah blah blah) and are you sure you want to save these changes?  

Z97 a board. I did manually set voltage

did u update your bios first before ocing i know the new cpus need the update

@Mike I shot for a 40 multiplier and left the cache alone. Sorry I can't reply at you I'm on mobile.

No I didn't not update my bios. I'm an idiot It never crossed my mind xD

@Mike I shot for a 40 multiplier and left the cache alone. Sorry I can't reply at you I'm on mobile.

odds are u just need a bios update its not to hard most manufacturers has a bios utilty program under utiliys in the dl section. and try that 

I'll do it tomorrow and keep you posted. Thank you all for your help :)

No I didn't not update my bios. I'm an idiot It never crossed my mind xD

lol it happens sometimes we forget the small things. but if you still have problems afterwards you should start slow and put everything to auto and change your multiplier one at a time till she no longer boots or is stable then manually set your volts thats how i oc. your volts will probably be anywhere from 1.19 to 1.25 for a 4.2 oc

Thank you for thoes of you who suggested running a bios update! It fixed all my issues.