Popular Asus PB278Q To Be Replaced With New Updated Model, The PB278QR

Geekazoid

@Geekazoid,

What type of monitor are you currently using?

Well to be honest, I'm actually using 2 HP monitors ATM. A 19" w1907 and 2011f, both TN monitors unfortunately, however, I do plan on fixing this.

Have you decided to wait for the PB278QR or are you likely to purchase something else?

Well I don't really know what I'll end up doing, sorry that I can't be more specific. I'm into video editing and some light photo editing so I've been looking toward going with something like 2x ASUS PB248Q 16:10 professional IPS monitors for my said purposes.

I have been using the Asus VE278Q 1080P 27inch LED monitor up until recently, but I ended up giving it to my partner as she was struggling with hers.

Ah okay, so a TN monitor also. What was your wife/girlfriend using prior to you giving her your one? Was hers malfunctioning or something?

I am now back on an old screen I've had for ages, the Asus MW221U 1680 x 1050 22inch and it's unbearable hence the urgency to buy another.

Hmm okay. How old is that one (just wondering)?

Notice the brand trend... does that make me biased!

Well...probably. But who cares. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Ah okay, so a TN monitor also. What was your wife/girlfriend using prior to you giving her your one? Was hers malfunctioning or something?

Not malfunctioning or anything like that, she's been struggling with smaller screen size, strain on her eyes, so the bigger screen with 1080p helps a lot.

Hmm okay. How old is that one (just wondering)?

I think it's around 4 - 5 years old, I remember at the time of buying it that 22 - 24 inch screens were considered as big screens.

Well I think I'm about to go ahead and buy the Asus PB278Q, as I need a new monitor and I've had no information to indicate that the PB278QR will be released locally anytime soon.

It's not going to use PWM, which would be nice for those who get eye strain from staring at a monitor.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to post an update:

Got the QR in my hands, finally after it's long trip from Germany to Canada.

I hate speaking too soon, but this panel is utterly fantastic. It came pixel perfect which is lucky as hell because the box was mangled to all hell.

I have a Viewsonic VP2770 beside it (currently the best PLS panel on the market for multimedia/general use/gaming) other than the Korean exports. The PLS panel is quite a bit darker even at equal brightness levels. As far as input lag goes and responsiveness goes, it comes with 5 overdrive levels (0-100 in increments of 20) and I'm using 80 right now, and it's there's no ghosting, at least, no ghosting you'd ever notice. I tested it with Starcraft which is very hard on monitors that overshoot due to the high contrasting colours moving quickly, and I tested it in BF4 test range, which is usually pretty good for finding ghosting and general "slowness" to pixel transitions, and the panel performs better than the VP2770 in my subjective opinion.

All in all, quite pleased with this panel. I love the physical design, and it's taken me ages to find an LCD with the characteristics I want. Who knew I'd find it in an obscure model change only sold in Germany and UK...?? 

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible that the reason Asus isn't bringing the QR to the US is because they plan to use the new AH-IPS panel in future manufactures of the PB278Q?

I just bought a Q yesterday from Fry's but what I brought home was very different from what I thought I'd get. The floor model had a completely different OSD menu and different icons where the buttons are. Turns out, the OSD menu on my Q is the same as the QR. Within that same menu it lists my display as the Q, so there wasn't a mistake or anything.

Here's where things get weird. My Q model has no PWM flickering. None. Zilch. I've tried waving my hand in front of a dimmed display to find no strobe effects. I've also pointed a camera at it to try and detect any potential PWM but to no avail. This is confusing as if it is indeed the PLS panel, it should have flickering.

I've been trying really hard to figure out just what the heck this panel is, but I've been having a hard time. EDID info (MonInfo) isn't helping at all and google searches are coming up dry. The closest I could find are reviews on Amazon claiming they were sent the QR instead of the Q based on bezel design and OSD menu. I've considered contacting Asus about it but I'm concerned that their documentation hasn't been updated seeing as how the PB278Q manual on their support site references the old OSD menu. To get proper documentation, I had to seek out the QR support page which correctly referenced the newer OSD menu and, to an even more confusing degree, referenced both the Q and QR models under the specifications.

So what we have is:

2012 PB278Q - PLS w/ PWM

Mid 2014 PB278Q - ??? No PWM

2014 PB278QR - AH-IPS (still couldn't find the exact panel this is using) No PWM

I don't know if what I have is the AH-IPS panel used in the QR version but with the exclusion of PWM this can't be the PLS panel right?

Is it possible that the reason Asus isn't bringing the QR to the US is because they plan to use the new AH-IPS panel in future manufactures of the PB278Q?

I just bought a Q yesterday from Fry's but what I brought home was very different from what I thought I'd get. The floor model had a completely different OSD menu and different icons where the buttons are. Turns out, the OSD menu on my Q is the same as the QR. Within that same menu it lists my display as the Q, so there wasn't a mistake or anything.

Here's where things get weird. My Q model has no PWM flickering. None. Zilch. I've tried waving my hand in front of a dimmed display to find no strobe effects. I've also pointed a camera at it to try and detect any potential PWM but to no avail. This is confusing as if it is indeed the PLS panel, it should have flickering.

I've been trying really hard to figure out just what the heck this panel is, but I've been having a hard time. EDID info (MonInfo) isn't helping at all and google searches are coming up dry. The closest I could find are reviews on Amazon claiming they were sent the QR instead of the Q based on bezel design and OSD menu. I've considered contacting Asus about it but I'm concerned that their documentation hasn't been updated seeing as how the PB278Q manual on their support site references the old OSD menu. To get proper documentation, I had to seek out the QR support page which correctly referenced the newer OSD menu and, to an even more confusing degree, referenced both the Q and QR models under the specifications.

So what we have is:

2012 PB278Q - PLS w/ PWM

Mid 2014 PB278Q - ??? No PWM

2014 PB278QR - AH-IPS (still couldn't find the exact panel this is using) No PWM

I don't know if what I have is the AH-IPS panel used in the QR version but with the exclusion of PWM this can't be the PLS panel right?

this is really interesting. is it physically the same as the Q?

this is really interesting. is it physically the same as the Q?

It's actually physically the same to the QR. Instead of there being printed icons for the OSD menu like the Q has, there's dots like the QR has. This, to my knowledge, is the only physical difference between the two.

It's actually physically the same to the QR. Instead of there being printed icons for the OSD menu like the Q has, there's dots like the QR has. This, to my knowledge, is the only physical difference between the two.

Look in Menu > System Setup > Information on the monitor what model does it list?

Look in Menu > System Setup > Information on the monitor what model does it list?

PB278Q.

PB278Q.

interesting. is there a firmware update for the monitor?

I can probably di up info on mine since I have a launch one and we can try and compare.

Well, I took it apart to discover the panel was not Samsung PLS or LG IPS.

M270DAN01.0

AUO panel AHVA panel. IPS-like, but still likely going to be returned.

Here's a review of a monitor using this panel: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-bl2710pt/

Haven't done enough research yet to determine whether this is actually better than the PLS panel or not. AUO doesn't inspire confidence though.

Well, I took it apart to discover the panel was not Samsung PLS or LG IPS.

M270DAN01.0

AUO panel AHVA panel. IPS-like, but still likely going to be returned.

Here's a review of a monitor using this panel: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-bl2710pt/

Haven't done enough research yet to determine whether this is actually better than the PLS panel or not. AUO doesn't inspire confidence though.

Its worse and a cost cutting measure.

Its worse and a cost cutting measure.

BenQ's AHVA display technology doesn't seem that bad according to that review. I'm not sure what the reviewer meant by "pinstriped banding" when in user mode in the OSD once the panel was calibrated. Is this really considered cost cutting though?

BenQ's AHVA display technology doesn't seem that bad according to that review. I'm not sure what the reviewer meant by "pinstriped banding" when in user mode in the OSD once the panel was calibrated. Is this really considered cost cutting though?

yes VA panels are cheaper to make. A VA panel is close to a TN than IPS. What makes this anywhere near a IPS color wise is the AH bit which is technology pulled from AH-IPS. I would rather have a true IPS or PLS any day of the week.

yes VA panels are cheaper to make. A VA panel is close to a TN than IPS. What makes this anywhere near a IPS color wise is the AH bit which is technology pulled from AH-IPS. I would rather have a true IPS or PLS any day of the week.

AHVA actually stands for Advanced Hyper Viewing Angle (stupid name, I know) not Advance High performance Vertical Alignment.

AHVA actually stands for Advanced Hyper Viewing Angle (stupid name, I know) not Advance High performance Vertical Alignment.

Even AUO themselves still compare it to a VA panel and not a IPS. Also AMOLED for viewing angles only probably because its a cheaper option if thats the main box you need to tick.

Even AUO themselves still compare it to a VA panel and not a IPS. Also AMOLED for viewing angles only probably because its a cheaper option if thats the main box you need to tick.

Huh, really? That's quite interesting. :)

That may be so, but it definitely performs similarly to an IPS panel. It even has the infamous glow. TFT central also lumps AHVA under the IPS category. It's confusing, but AHVA isn't the same tech as traditional VA.

Time to think about what to do... I mean it's not bad, but the issues (minor backlight bleed, dust particle under the screen, uneven color temperature from left-right) may send me back to the store. 

I almost bought that one. But I prefered to take the LG 34UM95! no regret whatsoever.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

I almost bought that one. But I prefered to take the LG 34UM95! no regret whatsoever.

Dang it! That monitor ain't cheap. I bet it's awesome to work with. :)

Dang it! That monitor ain't cheap. I bet it's awesome to work with. :)

Well, it's AMAZING!! It's part of my complete new RIG. To play, it's just the best, for movies, in 1080, it takes the entire monitor space which is really really really nice. I've never seen anything like it before and I am not ready to go back to 27inch or anything different. It's is really a perfect ratio.

For Photos editing, well, what can beat that!? nothing.

Now, I think with the curve idea, is really good for this monitor because, it's desorienting a bit at first to find icon, and toolbar and stuff, as everything are so far away from each other.

But if you can afford it, or even if you can't, you'll be the happiest dude on the f****** planet.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

Well, it's AMAZING!! It's part of my complete new RIG. To play, it's just the best, for movies, in 1080, it takes the entire monitor space which is really really really nice. I've never seen anything like it before and I am not ready to go back to 27inch or anything different. It's is really a perfect ratio.

For Photos editing, well, what can beat that!? nothing.

Now, I think with the curve idea, is really good for this monitor because, it's desorienting a bit at first to find icon, and toolbar and stuff, as everything are so far away from each other.

But if you can afford it, or even if you can't, you'll be the happiest dude on the planet.

Well it sounds like you're really enjoying it quite a lot. Have you posted a pic of your setup? I'd love to see it. :)

Well it sounds like you're really enjoying it quite a lot. Have you posted a pic of your setup? I'd love to see it. :)

i haven't posted something yet, but I will soon... The problem was that I was taped to that monitor and could not move away from it.

• 4 weeks later...

I was confused because Staples is selling the PB278Q stating an IPS panel. I contacted ASUS. Here's the answer to my query:

Thank you for choosing ASUS products and services.

PB278Q uses IPS Technology(PLS) and PB278QR uses IPS Technology(AHVA)

PB278Q is already available in Canada. You can check the specification at the following link:

http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/PB278Q/

PB278QR is not available yet and I don't know when it will be launched.