MSI Motherboards BIG problem!

After having my X79 platform motherboard i decided to use the "EASY OVERCLOCKING" Feature to see how far it would stretch my cpu. so i restored my bios to default settings and turned off my pc and pressed in the overclock button. Powerd up the pc and bam a massive spark and smoke coming out were the Heat sink is at the top i think it was the LEDs as it smelt like them.

MotherBoard : MSI X79A-GD65 (8D)

CPU: Intel i7 3930K Revision C2

So my question is what do i do ? Contact MSI? buy a asus board?

Here is the area the the smoke came from. (circled in red)

1rJ88l3.jpg

Link to the Photo's : http://imgur.com/a/wXJeW

Link To Youtube : coming later

PC Editing / Gaming Rig Specs : i7-3930k @ 4ghz w/ Hyper 212 Evo | 840 Evo 250gb and Seagate 1TB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Zotac GTX 780 | Corsair Vengeance C70 Green | OS: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Win10 #KilledMyWife #MakeBombs

RMA, receive new one, sell it, buy Asus board if you want.

Another reason to never ever trust overclocking software

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

You probably smoked the VRMs.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

RMA, receive new one, sell it, but Asus board if you want.

Another reason to never ever trust overclocking software

Thanks Bro, just wanted to know how far the auto features would "push it"

Yeah, never use the automatic overclocking features. No doubt it chucked a load of voltage at the CPU and fried itself. RMA the board.

Yes i've learnt my lesson :/ going to see if i can get it replaced and then i am going to save up £260 and get a asus x79 deluxe for my main rig and through replace meant in a server :) wil be a nice build if that happens

PC Editing / Gaming Rig Specs : i7-3930k @ 4ghz w/ Hyper 212 Evo | 840 Evo 250gb and Seagate 1TB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Zotac GTX 780 | Corsair Vengeance C70 Green | OS: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Win10 #KilledMyWife #MakeBombs

Thanks Bro, just wanted to know how far the auto features would "push it"

Yes i've learnt my lesson :/ going to see if i can get it replaced and then i am going to save up £260 and get a asus x79 deluxe for my main rig and through replace meant in a server :) wil be a nice build if that happens

Meant buy Asus board in the first post, not but. I'll edit it.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Yeah, never use the automatic overclocking features. No doubt it chucked a load of voltage at the CPU and fried itself. RMA the board.

Do you think i'vekilled my cpu aswell ?

Do you think i'vekilled my cpu aswell ?

The CPU probably is dead but if when you get a new board test to see if it POSTs and if it doesn't GG -_-

Life.exe is missing

The CPU probably is dead but if when you get a new board test to see if it POSTs and if it doesn't GG -_-

i hope not :( if it is im going Z97 or X99. but i really hope not its a £400 processor 

i hope not :( if it is im going Z97 or X99. but i really hope not its a £400 processor 

Don't go X99 if you want relatively affordable, also Z97 with update will support Broadwell Processors so that's something to consider.

Z97 is also a lot more versatile in terms of performance choice you can choose $100 processors (not sure why if Z97 tho) or you can go 200 and 300. X99 (IE LGA 2011) is basically PERFORMANCE ALL THE WAY but quite pricey)

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I actually disliked automatic overclock. Once I accidentaly press it and my bios went crazy suddenly become very unstable (MSI Board too).

The damage on your board is simillar to my friend's he burn his vrm. RMA is your best option.

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

I actually disliked automatic overclock. Once I accidentaly press it and my bios went crazy suddenly become very unstable (MSI Board too).

The damage on your board is simillar to my friend's he burn his vrm. RMA is your best option.

Yep im calling them up on monday:)

Yep im calling them up on monday:)

Good luck Dude. Hope you'll get new board.

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

Good luck Dude. Hope you'll get new board.

I've sended it in for a RMA today, hopefully they repair it or replace it :) just want my pc back, im on  a dual core amd laptop and it struggles with youtube @ 720p, been using my smart tv for LTT videos aha