windows 8 to windows 7 on a laptop without a disk drive..?...

kickasssloth

Ok, so im in the market for a new laptop for work (im a photographer)

I have decided on the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro, everything about it is perfect for me (though id like thunderbolt without having to get a WS laptop  :angry: )

BUT!

I may have to get a WS laptop because at least it has windows 7, I cant stand windows 8 and its just fucking useless for me, id rather OSX...

as far as I know, you cant install windows 7 easily off a usb, ive tried twice with a desktop and laptop and it didnt work...

appart from possible driver issues? Is there anything I can do?? :(

maybe stick a notebook cd drive on that sata HDD connector? 

TLDR; I want a laptop without a CD drive to go from windows 8 to windows 7.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Just install Start 8  or start is back and stick to windows 8, then it looks and works just like 7

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

USB Pendrive Creator

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Tool needs an Win 7 Iso. If you already have an win 7 dvd you can create an iso with daemon tools lite. http://www.daemon-tools.cc/ or download one.

Now try to boot into the setup. If that works reboot into windows 8

Then you need an second usb drive to format win 8 otherwise the installation will fail due the internal version of 8 is higher then 7. So the setup won't continue.

Now lets create another pendrive

Download

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-live-0.19.1-1-i486.iso and http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Then follow the instructions from the tool.

Now you boot into gparted and format the entire. It's pretty much straight format. You select all partions then rightclick and select format. Choose ext4 and hit the apply button. Wait for it to be done then hardreset your pc. Then plug in the win 7 setup usb. Wait for insert bootmedia if it won't start itself. Install win 7 as usual. 

Additional: If Win 8 won't let you boot from usb go into uefi and disable secureboot, fastboot and enable legacy boot if there's an option for that.

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

Just install Start 8  or start is back and stick to windows 8, then it looks and works just like 7

That isn't the answer he was looking for.

@kickasssloth

The easiest thing is to use a external CD drive (if you can get access). A local PC shop should be able to help you there. Tell them your problem and ask them to use their CD drive. I am sure you could install Win 7 using a USB drive but it may take a while to figure out.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

That isn't the answer he was looking for.

I know, but he is new to the forum and may not know that there are options that exist to remove the metro (modern ui) interface from windows 8

this might be an easy solution to his problem, and he gets to keep the latest OS (since windows 7 major updates are ending sooon and windows 8 can be faster)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I know, but he is new to the forum and may not know that there are options that exist to remove the metro (modern ui) interface from windows 8

this might be an easy solution to his problem, and he gets to keep the latest OS (since windows 7 major updates are ending sooon and windows 8 can be faster)

I am not saying you shouldn't offer alternative solutions but also give a solution to the problem they asked. I am not trying to attack you specifically. I just hate it when people don't read the question, assume they know everything and give you an answer you already know or don't want (again I am not saying you do this). I put a thread the other day where on the the first line in bold writing was

please don't put up an answer if you haven't done any research

and what did I get...

oh I heard that these were really good

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I am not saying you shouldn't off alternative solutions but also give a solution to the problem they asked. I am not trying to attack you specifically. I just hate it when people don't read the question, assume they know everything and give you an answer you already know or don't want (again I am not saying you do this). I put a thread the other day where on the the first line in bold writing was

Thanks understandable, though the OP just said "windows 8 is useless for me" when really, it does the job just fine it is just the interface he doesnt like which is easily changed

Its not like a hardware issue where the wrong component could render something completely useless

Also the OP makes no mention that he already owns a windows 7 licence, and that means he might have to purchase one 

Thanks understandable, though the OP just said "windows 8 is useless for me" when really, it does the job just fine it is just the interface he doesnt like which is easily changed

Its not like a hardware issue where the wrong component could render something completely useless

Also the OP makes no mention that he already owns a windows 7 licence, and that means he might have to purchase one 

Thank you, but as a tool, windows 8 causes me too many headaches with my work, I know of start is back type options, but there are some programs I need to use that dont have full windows 8 support, along with other problems

I have a windows 7 disk, its just the getting it onto the laptop thats the problem, I was worried about driver issues and being able to do a clean install on the raided SSDs

I'll try an external drive, I have one. 

worst case I'll just have to deal with windows 8 :/ 

Thank you to everyone for the help!  :)