Been a long while. Any advice?

Hi,

Its been a long time since I built a new system, during the weekend i came up with the following parts, what do you guys think?

cpu:i7 4790k
cpu cooler:corsair h100i
mobo:asus z97-deluxe
memory: corsair dominator platinum 32 GB *2133*
stoarge: samsung 840 pro 512GB (for system and games/apps)
seagate constellion ES.3 3TB 7.2kRPM drive
GPU:Asus Geforce GTX 780 Ti Matrix ROG 
Case: Corsair 760T
PSU: Corsair AX1500i (as I plan on running a dual/triple TI soon with more HDD

Monior: Dell U2913WM 60Hz 29" 
Speaker Logitech Z506

Keyboard/mouse Logitech MX800 combo

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/xP4kWZ

thanks

@ScorpioGeek I think you shouldn't post a spec list before reading this thread. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/

@ForsakenLive I have a feeling this member hasn't quite thought this through properly yet.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

That gpu is a bit of a waste unless you are planning on LN2 cooling. I would just go with a regular 780 ti.

Hi,

Its been a long time since I built a new system, during the weekend i came up with the following parts, what do you guys think?

cpu:i7 4790k
cpu cooler:corsair h100i
mobo:asus z97-deluxe
memory: corsair dominator platinum 32 GB *2133*
stoarge: samsung 840 pro 512GB (for system and games/apps)
seagate constellion ES.3 3TB 7.2kRPM drive
GPU:Asus Geforce GTX 780 Ti Matrix ROG 
Case: Corsair 760T
PSU: Corsair AX1500i (as I plan on running a dual/triple TI soon with more HDD

Monior: Dell U2913WM 60Hz 29" 
Speaker Logitech Z506

Keyboard/mouse Logitech MX800 combo

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/xP4kWZ

thanks

Explain what the system is for, your budget, etc pls. PLS

In general, PSU is overkill (at least you explained why, future SLI), and why so much RAM? This looks like a gaming rig, just save money right now and get 16GB and wait until later to get more, you shouldn't need extra anyway.

Also if you want to save more money and this is a gaming PC, you don't necessarily need an SSD that huge (it's not a problem, just a place you can cut down costs if you're ok with it). I put my games on my HDD unless I play them all the time, they're new games, or they have a lot of loading screens. Otherwise the only thing that changes by putting them on SSD is the startup time. Graphics ain't gonna get better.

Git Gud.

Sorry about that; here it goes.

Budget And Location.

Budget up to 5K GBP

2. Aim 
I am a full time coder, and usually run Multiple VMs via VMware (hence the 32GB ram)
But I also play games (mostly Diablo3, BF4 but also interested in playing some new games)

3. Monitors
I do plan running 1 monitor at first, but my old build has had 3 monitors (more than 1 monitor is always good for coding and multitasking in my experience) not to mention gaming. (but I plan on upgrading later on, currently just 1 monitor due to size issues in my current living conditions).

4. Yes will need peripherals as this is a new build.

5. Upgrading as I recently moved from a different country and sold my old system.

Budget And Location.

Budget up to 5K GBP

2. Aim 
I am a full time coder, and usually run Multiple VMs via VMware (hence the 32GB ram)
But I also play games (mostly Diablo3, BF4 but also interested in playing some new games)

3. Monitors
I do plan running 1 monitor at first, but my old build has had 3 monitors (more than 1 monitor is always good for coding and multitasking in my experience) not to mention gaming. (but I plan on upgrading later on, currently just 1 monitor due to size issues in my current living conditions).

5. Upgrading as I recently moved from a different country and sold my old system.

Thanks

In that case you should be on the right track with this setup, since you explained everything that was "overkill", I can't argue with any of it.

I'm not sure if you can run Triple SLI on that board, so confirm that, and if it maxes out at double, take the PSU down to 1000W or less (850W is plenty for 2-way SLI on that card). Otherwise you should be good to go.

Git Gud.

Budget And Location.

Budget up to 5K GBP

2. Aim 

3. Monitors

If you for sure plan on triple SLI, you may look into a skt2011 solution. I pretty much never recommend 2011 as its overpriced for what most people need. But once you start getting into triple and quad SLI, it starts to make more sense. 

1. More PCIE 16x lanes

2. More than 32GB ram if needed.

3. 6+ Core CPU's which can be helpful with VMs

4. Overall more of a "workstation" than a high-end consumer/gaming rig. 

Otherwise, with the exception of the specific GPU you chose, and the fact you could get cheaper ram that would perform similarly, your system looks great. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

A bit below budget: 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (£412.50 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£81.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme EATX LGA2011 Motherboard  (£290.63 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£236.78 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£285.01 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£576.54 @ PC World Business) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£576.54 @ PC World Business) 
Case: Corsair 760T White ATX Full Tower Case  (£143.08 @ CCL Computers) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (£79.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Monitor: Dell U2913WM 60Hz 29.0" Monitor  (£359.15 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Other: Logitech MX800 Keyboard-Mouse Combo (£129.00)
Total: £3452.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-23 18:01 BST+0100

Using your entire budget:

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£81.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX LGA2011 Motherboard  (£335.75 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  (£637.86 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£285.01 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Case: Corsair 760T White ATX Full Tower Case  (£143.08 @ CCL Computers) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (£79.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £5030.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-23 18:04 BST+0100

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Budget And Location.

Budget up to 5K GBP

2. Aim 

3. Monitors

I would suggest going with the LGA2011 platform. The additional threads offered by the cpu will improve performance, particularly system responsiveness even at full loads. The platform also offers up to 64GB of memory should that be desirable at some point.

The difference in price between a 512GB and 1TB ssd suggests 1TB is the better option. Can't have enough high speed storage as far as I'm concerned.

I am also suggesting a smaller psu. It is large enough to handle a second gpu and decent overclocks.

The X61 cpu cooler can run as quietly as an air tower when not seriously loaded.

The Enterprise hdd seems excessive. But we all have different experiences with storage.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (£412.50 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£110.38 @ Scan.co.uk)

Motherboard: Asus X79 Deluxe ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  (£259.91 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  (£330.38 @ Scan.co.uk)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£316.00 @ Aria PC)

Storage: Seagate Constellation ES.3 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£168.97 @ More Computers)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3.0GB Platinum Video Card  (£561.67 @ More Computers)

Case: Corsair 760T White ATX Full Tower Case  (£143.08 @ CCL Computers)

Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£132.46 @ More Computers)

Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (£79.99 @ Amazon UK)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)  (£101.09 @ Ebuyer)

Monitor: Dell U2913WM 60Hz 29.0" Monitor  (£359.15 @ Scan.co.uk)

Speakers: Logitech Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers  (£55.00 @ Aria PC)

Total: £3159.58

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.