First build and first forum post

Since i just joined this community and this is my first forum post i just want to say hi and thank you for building up such a great community! I have only been checking this forum for less than a week, but still i can see that this is a great community and i hope i will get a lot of use for it.

Now to the real topic. I have been using a laptop (a ok one, but it's starting to get pretty bad) for 2-3 years now I have been thinking a lot about buying a new computer, but not a laptop this time. I have been getting some help from a friend of me that knows quite much about computers, but still i wanna be sure that it is good enough for me. He said that he may be upgrading the list later, but i will post the list that i have at the moment. Oh, and before i do that i should tell you that I'm going to buy the computer somewhere between Saturday and the week after. The reason of that is since i live in Norway there is some sort of celebration every young people to when they are 15 if they choose to do so. I don't know if it really is a English name for it since it is only a celebration in Norway. Out of this i will get something between 15-30k NOK (The type of money we use in Norway) which I think is 2,5-5k US dollars. Here's the list:

CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE 1600MHZ CL9 (2X8GB)

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB 7200RPM SATA/600 64MB

INTEL CORE I5 3570K 3.4GHZ 6MB S-1155 IVY

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 SC BACKPLATE 4GB PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP

CORSAIR HX850 MODULAR GOLD 850W

MSI Z77 MPOWER Z77 S-1155 ATX IVY

SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 128GB SSD SATA/600 MLC

FRACTAL DESIGN MIDITOWER DEFINE R4 TITANIUM WINDOW

SAMSUNG DVD±R/RW/RAM DL 24X SATA BULK BLACK

CORSAIR H60 HYDRO CPU COOLER S-1155/1366/2011/AM3+ NEW

BENQ XL2411T 24" WIDE TFT LED 144HZ BLACK

NZXT HUE RGB LED CONTROL

If you wonder why there are links there it is because I just copied it right from the online store my friend recommended since that was a lot easier than writing it down. Thanks for the help and i really hope that i will have more use of this forum sooner or later.

I don't understand the links are they German.

Very good specs

You can't walk out of your own story - Rango

If you don't want more then one graphicscard buy a smaller power supply, something along the lines of 600 watts should be enough.

And i would probably rather get a 240mm radiator cooler. (like the h100i)

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Very good specs

He is from Norway...

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Very good specs

I wrote several times that i used Norwegian money and that i was from Norway, but i understand that you might have missed it since i did write a lot.

If you don't want more then one graphicscard buy a smaller power supply, something along the lines of 600 watts should be enough.

And i would probably rather get a 240mm radiator cooler. (like the h100i)

I was actually thinking the same. I was thinking that the water cooler maybe wasn't good enough for my build. If i get more money than i think i will probably buy the h100i. The only problem is that it is not that much space for the h100i in the Fractal Design R4 case. It might fit, but I'm not really that sure.

The psu is over kill. A decent 620w is enough: http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010628965/antec-hcg-620m-620w-psu-modular/

If you plan to sli, a decent 750w is more than enough.

If you don't mind the looks, the Noctua NH-D14 far outperforms the h60 and is very quiet as well. http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010372694/noctua-nh-d14-s-1155-1156-1366-am3/#intcmp=searchProvider_SiteSeeker

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

H60 sucks, get a H80i and a 7950 instead of a 670. Your PSU is big enough for SLI, if you don't plan to go this route i would suggest a psu with 500W.

rest is fine!

Consider buying from amazon.co.uk, alot cheaper than dustin (I'm from denmark so pretty much the same options for us).

You could probably make a beast rig for those money though.

Also, you can't really compare NOK to USD that way when its computers, it more like 2-3.5K USD

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

The psu is over kill. A decent 620w is enough: http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010628965/antec-hcg-620m-620w-psu-modular/

If you plan to sli, a decent 750w is more than enough.

If you don't mind the looks, the Noctua NH-D14 far outperforms the h60 and is very quiet as well. http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010372694/noctua-nh-d14-s-1155-1156-1366-am3/#intcmp=searchProvider_SiteSeeker

I friend of me was actually complaining because my psu was so expensive. I should maybe downgrade to a 620 as you say since i am only going to buy one graphics card and i don't really think I'm going to buy another one later, only for changing the old one. I don't really know if i will mind the look of the cooler. Will the led controller change the color of the cooler?

Consider buying from amazon.co.uk, alot cheaper than dustin (I'm from denmark so pretty much the same options for us).

You could probably make a beast rig for those money though.

Also, you can't really compare NOK to USD that way when its computers, it more like 2-3.5K USD

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I'm not really that good with money so it might be wrong. Should have added that from the start.

But if i downgrade to a 620W PSU I will be able to buy a better water cooler, right?

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I'm not really that good with money so it might be wrong. Should have added that from the start.

NP, you wrote the right amount of money it's just our crazy taxes and that kinda stuff that messes it up. 

But i really recommend buying at amazon.co.uk, they're much cheaper.

Btw i think the celebration you're talking about is called something like humanist confirmation

NP, you wrote the right amount of money it's just our crazy taxes and that kinda stuff that messes it up. 

But i really recommend buying at amazon.co.uk, they're much cheaper.

Btw i think the celebration you're talking about is called something like humanist confirmation

Aha! I think that might be right. And if It's cheaper i will gladly buy my computer from that site. But there is one more thing i should add. If it is possible i will ned the computer sent to my house before June 7 because there is a LAN-party. The confirmation is at May 25.

Aha! I think that might be right. And if It's cheaper i will gladly buy my computer from that site. But there is one more thing i should add. If it is possible i will ned the computer sent to my house before June 7 because there is a LAN-party. The confirmation is at May 25.

The free shipping is on 7-10 days (although i've tried it quite a few times and never went over 6 days) so that should be fine, if you like they have 1-day shipping for a bit more. But is weigh a factor?

I friend of me was actually complaining because my psu was so expensive. I should maybe downgrade to a 620 as you say since i am only going to buy one graphics card and i don't really think I'm going to buy another one later, only for changing the old one. I don't really know if i will mind the look of the cooler. Will the led controller change the color of the cooler?

The led controller is meant to control led strips that change color. As in these: http://www.dustinhome.no/search/nzxt%20led

I'm not too sure how the cooler looks under certain lighting conditions but I think a red theme of leds would make it look quite nice.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

But if i downgrade to a 620W PSU I will be able to buy a better water cooler, right?

Sure? I dunno the difference between 1159 NOK and 639 kr but I imagine you save a good chunk of money by getting a cheaper psu.

The free shipping is on 7-10 days (although i've tried it quite a few times and never went over 6 days) so that should be fine, if you like they have 1-day shipping for a bit more. But is weigh a factor?

I don't know if weigh is a factor or not. 6 days is perfect! I should change to amazon right away!

Sure? I dunno the difference between 1159 NOK and 639 kr but I imagine you save a good chunk of money by getting a cheaper psu.

It's not that much, but it will give me a little more money, at least in my eyes.

It's not that much, but it will give me a little more money, at least in my eyes.

1 NOK=0,99DKK

So yeah.

With amazon shipping, that was for light stuff, might take a bit more for a full computer, but it'll arrive before that LAN.

Although keep in mind shopping from amazon you want the retailer to be amazon.co.uk and not someone else.

I contacted my friend through Facebook and he didn't quite agree with what all of you have said. He says that the reason that the PSU are that good is because it's gonna make it future proof. He also says that that changing to a air cooler is stupid because i will be transporting it to LAN parties and other. He says that he selected the H60 just to replace the one stock-cooler and that the H60 is an ok cooler.

1 NOK=0,99DKK

So yeah.

With amazon shipping, that was for light stuff, might take a bit more for a full computer, but it'll arrive before that LAN.

Although keep in mind shopping from amazon you want the retailer to be amazon.co.uk and not someone else.

Nice!

The led controller is meant to control led strips that change color. As in these: http://www.dustinhome.no/search/nzxt%20led

I'm not too sure how the cooler looks under certain lighting conditions but I think a red theme of leds would make it look quite nice.

I know what it is, I just wondered if the colored light will change the look of the cooler too.

I contacted my friend through Facebook and he didn't quite agree with what all of you have said. He says that the reason that the PSU are that good is because it's gonna make it future proof. He also says that that changing to a air cooler is stupid because i will be transporting it to LAN parties and other. He says that he selected the H60 just to replace the one stock-cooler and that the H60 is an ok cooler.

there is absolutly no reason to put a 850 watt power supply in your build. even/unless if you had 3 of those 670 graphic cards.... I've got a even more power hungry build then yours and i only use a 530 watt 80 plus bronze power supply.

Also i would still consider getting something like a h100i (240mm radiator) it fits the r4 in more then one place (front (if you move the harddrive cages or roof)

there is absolutly no reason to put a 850 watt power supply in your build. even/unless if you had 3 of those 670 graphic cards.... I've got a even more power hungry build then yours and i only use a 530 watt 80 plus bronze power supply.

Also i would still consider getting something like a h100i (240mm radiator) it fits the r4 in more then one place (front (if you move the harddrive cages or roof)

My friend says that yes, i don't need that much watt, but it doesn't cost so much more money that it matters. He is still saying that i don't really need more than a h60 or a h80i.

My friend says that yes, i don't need that much watt, but it doesn't cost so much more money that it matters. He is still saying that i don't really need more than a h60 or a h80i.

1. PSU: Well it will still need more power because the efficiency goes to shit in idle. Why don't you just buy a CORSAIR HX750 instead?

2. Cooler: Enough probably yes. BUT a bigger cooler will give you more overclocking possibilities and will be quieter because you don't need to crank the pump and fans all the way up.