Bungie pays Marty O'Donnell $95,000

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/22/5925713/bungie-halo-composer-lawsuit

Bungie is paying $95,000 to composer Marty O'Donnell following a lawsuit against the company and chief executive Harold Ryan over unpaid benefits after being let go by the company, Venturebeat reports.

The settlement includes $38,385 in unpaid work, and this same amount once more in damages. With legal fees and interest this comes to a total of $95,019.13.

Good, I'm glad that Marty finally got paid what he was due. I love Bungie and I love their games (I'm even active in their website ;)), but what they did to Marty was not cool in the slightest. Either way, again, I'm glad that Bungie finally paid him what he was due, but I highly doubt that Marty will go back to work for Bungie. So where will Marty go next? We shall see. 

COMIC SANS

He needs to stick to the Halo series. They're all so good.

Him and that Salvador guy. Halo's soundtrack will probably suck without one of them.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

He needs to stick to the Halo series. They're all so good.

Him and that Salvador guy. Halo's soundtrack will probably suck without one of them.

Well, Halo 4's soundtrack was pretty good. Was it as good as previous Halo games? No, but it was still pretty good. I'd love to see 343 Industries hire Marty though.

:P

COMIC SANS

Well, Halo 4's soundtrack was pretty good. Was it as good as previous Halo games? No, but it was still pretty good. I'd love to see 343 Industries hire Marty though.

:P

I like all of the soundtracks, so.... I can't really say if one is better than another. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Woot woot.

I hope the guy finds a job somewhere that'll appreciate him!

And actually pay him of course.

I like all of the soundtracks, so.... I can't really say if one is better than another. :D

Halo 1, 2, and 3 all have very similar OSTs, but they're all SO good. My favorite is probably ODST's OST though. It's different, some of the songs sound kinda depressing/mysterious (fitting to the game's theme), and it's just all in all really good.

COMIC SANS

Halo 1, 2, and 3 all have very similar OSTs, but they're all SO good. My favorite is probably ODST's OST though. It's different, some of the songs sound kinda depressing (fitting to the game's theme), and it's just all in all really good.

ODST did have a really good OST. :D I might listen to it now... Or one of the other Halos... Not sure.

gallery_37587_679_47692.png

Forgot where I stored my Halo 2 and Halo Wars soundtrack rips. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I've only ever played Halo 1 and 2 and didn't like them too much. The first game was good but not as great as most people make it out to be. The second game was a pile of shit. But I will say this about it. That soundtrack was amazing. It is so good that it is actually enough to make me want to replay it.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

At least he is open to freelancing now. Would love to see what games he helps contribute later on. Naughty Dog might be working on a new Crash Bandicoot game and that game had a pretty good soundtrack, or even Unreal Tournament!

Can't wait, hopefully he doesn't end up with EA or Ubi, would be surprised if Microsoft snatched him up.

Halo 1, 2, and 3 all have very similar OSTs, but they're all SO good. My favorite is probably ODST's OST though. It's different, some of the songs sound kinda depressing/mysterious (fitting to the game's theme), and it's just all in all really good.

Couldn't agree more.

And also, out of the halo campaigns I played, I enjoyed ODST's level design the most. It encouraged a more open and explorative play style, compared to the other halos, or most modern shooters in fact.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

I have hope that 343 throws money and a title at his face. Neil Davidge didn't screw up Halo 4s OST, but it was very different. And sometimes, different in music can change the entire tone of the game. He did make some great tracks like To Galaxy and Immaterial, but they didn't sound like Halo. 

Not the Halo we've gotten used too after 3 main titles and 2 spin offs worth of music that Marty spearheaded (along with the help he got from Salvatori)

Having said that, the best moment out of Halo 4s OST was 117. Kazuma Jinnouchi's masterpiece as far as I'm concerned from that album. He blended all the themes we recognize and made them modern, but you got the very clear hint that this was old school Halo, not to mention it was just one epic track. 

Its a shame that Bungie has been shedding a lot of their big names lately, and Marty leaving (well, fired) over such sour conditions doesn't give them much goodwill. Any other person I can see why Bungie would stiff them. But Marty? The man who basically was the entire sound department for the better part of a decade? Come on. When a guy like that, a guy who crafted the very signature of your franchise and ensured that people always reference it going forward? You bend over for guys like that. 

He really deserves the money. He composed some of the greatest game music of all time.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

ODST did have a really good OST. :D I might listen to it now... Or one of the other Halos... Not sure.

gallery_37587_679_47692.png

Forgot where I stored my Halo 2 and Halo Wars soundtrack rips. :(

Toto - Africa

50 Cent

Video Game music

Are you sure you didn't hack into my music collection? :P