DDR2 Question

I am looking to upgrade a old PC and i looked to for some new RAM. On ebay a sell is saying AMD only motherboard and it wont work on intel 

Heres a link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-8GB-4X2GB-DDR2-800MHz-PC2-6400-240PIN-DIMM-F-AMD-Motherboard-Desktop-memory-/380661051926?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_MemoryRAM_JN&hash=item58a12ab216#viTabs_0

So is there such thing as AMD only DDR2 ram or will it work in a intel board

No i don't think so.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

So is there such thing as AMD only DDR2 ram or will it work in a intel board

Nope. RAM is RAM. As long as the motherboard supports the generation (DDR2) and the speed (800/667), nothing else matters for the RAM compatibility.

Edit: Well, ok, my bad. Some motherboards can only support up to a certain size capacity of RAM per DIMM. So, some motherboards can only use up to 1GB DDR2 DIMMs, while others can use up to 2GB DDR2 DIMMs. This may be the thing the seller is talking about. I would check and see what the maximum capacity per DIMM your intel motherboard supports before purchasing it.

Some motherboards are weird and can have a maximum of 16-32GB of RAM (DDR3 example), but only has 4 DIMM slots and can only support up to 2-4GB DIMM sticks (meaning the maximum is 16GB even though it says it can support up to 32GB). I think the maximum capacity per DIMM has to do with the CPU or N/B. Not sure though.

YMMV

@jordfoz16

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

never heard of that although i wasnt really into computers in the DDR2 days but maybe send the seller a question asking why it will only work with amd?

It does for some chipsets. High density RAM is not compatible with all motherboards. I have expierence with that.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

Okay thanks i will check to what my motherboard can have per RAM slot thanks for all of you help

I think only AM2+ supported the 8GB (2x4GB) DDR2 which would be why.

LGA775 (intels last DDR2 socket) needed 4x2GB I think.

Not all am2+ supported it either from what i know

There were 3 socket 775 boards that officially supported 4gb ddr2 dimms on socket 775 , and an asus rampage formula x48 also works with 4gb dimms (but not officially listed that it supported it, i had my hands on 4x4gb ddr2 800 a few years ago,and it accepted all 16gb of it without a problem) 

Not alot of manufacturers bothered with testing 4gb ddr2 sticks(on socket 775),because when it came out it costed you alot (350€ for one stick of 4gb ddr2 800 kingston valueram) and we were already deep into ddr3 when it came out.

And the ram he linked is 4x 2gb btw , so he shouldn't have an issue with it unless he got a really old amd board

Not all am2+ supported it either from what i know

There were 3 socket 775 boards that officially supported 4gb ddr2 dimms on socket 775 , and an asus rampage formula x48 also works with 4gb dimms (but not officially listed that it supported it, i had my hands on 4x4gb ddr2 800 a few years ago,and it accepted all 16gb of it without a problem) 

Not alot of manufacturers bothered with testing 4gb ddr2 sticks(on socket 775),because when it came out it costed you alot (350€ for one stick of 4gb ddr2 800 kingston valueram) and we were already deep into ddr3 when it came out.

And the ram he linked is 4x 2gb btw , so he shouldn't have an issue with it unless he got a really old amd board

So it is, I misread.