new laptop for school

andrewshade

ive been looking for laptops for some time and i really like the lenovo y50 but i have heard some issues about the screen wuality and bad keyboard. is another option in this price range or would this be the best bet?

Do you need a dedicated GPU? I don't see why you'd need to use a gaming laptop on school, just get a nice thin and portable notebook/ultrabook with HD graphics.

i would like to do some light gaming but still be thin. 

Budget! Budget!!!

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

notes watching videos and light gaming.

If by light gaming, you mean some steam games on medium settings, APUs (Non-discrete GPUs) can do it. I've been playing semi-competitive TF2 on an Asus with Intel HD for over two years.

roughly $1300 cdn.

Get a Mac. Yes, I'm serious.

Well, OK, it depends on what you're playing. But even if you're chained to some GFWL crap, you can boot into a windows shell with decent performance.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

If by light gaming, you mean some steam games on medium settings, APUs (Non-discrete GPUs) can do it. I've been playing semi-competitive TF2 on an Asus with Intel HD for over two years.

Get a Mac. Yes, I'm serious.

Well, OK, it depends on what you're playing. But even if you're chained to some GFWL crap, you can boot into a windows shell with decent performance.

i have a macbook from 2009 and i feel like switching it up from osx. 

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Alienware 18

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

i wish!

lel just joking with you, I would never ever EVER recommend something shitty like Alienware to someone

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

lel just joking with you, I would never ever EVER recommend something shitty like Alienware to someone

i do like the screens on them.

i do like the screens on them.

they look nice and have some pretty decent specs, but i'd rather not pay $6000 for a laptop

Dell XPS 13.

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

I've read that the msi ge60 is pretty decent, but it's starting to get on thick size http://www.anandtech.com/show/8267/msi-ge60-review-mainstream-mobile-maxwell

GE60 is great, it's the laptop I have (GE60-2OE). Not exactly cheap, and definitely not thin, nor light. About 5lbs, and and 1 1/2" thick. Powerful, though graphics aren't great enough to say, run Crysis 3 maxed out, but I can run most games maxed, and Witch 2: EE on medium. It's a brushed aluminum faceplate though, so expect some staining, and the back is glossy black, so expect finger prints.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

What is your studies?

As a student myself, I can tell you, a Surface Pro 3 will be a better choice.

Great keyboard for the device size, solid device, thin and light that you can easily carry with you with big books, and most importantly, the digitize pen.

You can type your notes, and when comes the need to do math, write a formula down, draw a diagram, or what not, you can just write with the pen.

It's not a stylus that imitate your finger, it's a real pen, it can track where the pen is floating over the device.

The downside of the device, is that the device won't be great for gaming due to the Intel integrated graphics, and the device will throttle due the thinnest of the device and the powerful CPU they put in. For anything else, the CPU won't throttle on you, as it will deliver high performance in burst, and not for extended amount of time, and the device is designed for that.

If you really want performance, then get the Pro 2 model, Same CPU, similar specs, but due to thicker device, smaller battery to fit dual fan and heatsink cooling solution, it will be able to handle much more.

So it's up to you... and I guess it depends on what program you are in. But I had a laptop before, and it was a bit of a pain at times.

I ended up not playing games regardless. Desktop is more powerful, laptop got obsolete in playing games at anything above minimum rather quickly, and I had to have a note pad and pen to write stuff down that a laptop could not do, and go through the trouble to transferring it in my notes after class, which took time.

If you are not interested, that is fine. I just wanted to tell you:

Get OneNote program. It is truly the ultimate note taking software, even if you are on a laptop. It will also sync everything with your other computer with OneNote, so that you can view and search or edit your notes on your desktop and other systems.

they look nice and have some pretty decent specs, but i'd rather not pay $6000 for a laptop

The alienware 14 is actually not a bad value considering the stuff that you get, iirc it is $999.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite