Nintendo WiiU owners can now transfer everything to another WiiU

GoodBytes

Nintendo took a few (to be nice) miss steps with the WiiU lunch.

One of them is the doing like the Wii (which at the time, Nintendo, much smaller, and new in the full OS navigation system, was excused of, especially with other up sides surpassing the down), where you could not transfer your account with all your purchased games, apps, saved games, and such, from one system to another. This was a problem if you had 2 systems at 2 different locations, or your console broke out of warranty, where you didn't want to pay to have it repair to Nintendo due to the cost, where it better o just buy a new one, or have it repaired somewhere else for cheaper.

wii-u-game-pad-and-console.png

Nintendo have been at work recently to fix all these miss steps they took with the WiiU.

Today, they fixed the one mentioned above. You can now transfer all your stuff to another WiiU console fairly easily. The only requirement is that your console and the one you are transfer to have this latest firmware version to have the option to do so.

The step-by-step instructions are found here: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9159/p/431

In addition, in the latest firmware, you now use other controller to surf the Nintendo Store. You are no longer stuck with the GamePad controller. You can use the Wii U Pro Controller, Wii's Classic controller, and the Wii remote.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/21/5924761/wii-u-system-transfer-update

Your online data should be tied to your account, not your system.

I do not get how they screwed this up again when they've had almost a decade to learn from the competition

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

It's about damned time Nintendo starts getting out of their alternate version of reality. Hopefully this'll extends to the 3DS as well.

It's about damned time Nintendo starts getting out of their alternate version of reality. Hopefully this'll extends to the 3DS as well.

You've been able to transfer your 3DS since it was released.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Yeah, I've transferred my purchased things to a different 3ds, it just doesn't transfer save files.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Nintendo is bad with software. This is fact that they know. So why don't they go with a third party solution? Have another company make their software for them.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Today, they fixed the one mentioned above. You can now transfer all your stuff to another WiiU console fairly easily. The only requirement is that your console and the one you are transfer to have this latest firmware version to have the option to do so.

And still not buying one.

Until they have my digital purchases tied to my account, then I am not buying a WiiU/3DS.

Honestly, they didn't fix this, they added a band-aid to a broken bone.

Hell yes :) this is great news.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Hmm. Yeah, I saw that. Dunno how it got stuck in my head that way.

Can u use your stuff on both consoles? that would be really cool and i really do want a wii U but i can just see i probs wouldnt play it much :S

You're telling me if I buy a digital game from Nintendo it's tied to one console?

That's fucking ridiculous if true.

You're telling me if I buy a digital game from Nintendo it's tied to one console?

Yes, but don't worry! You see, they just fixed this by letting you transfer stuff over to another WiiU as long as both are updated to the latest firmware and both are in working order! /s

However, if one is not updated fully and/or is broken, you'll have to send it into Nintendo just like everyone else has been doing for the past two years.

Honestly, why would anyone do this unless they were switching consoles for some odd reason or they knew their WiiU was going to die and didn't want to deal with Nintendo? People that NEED this kind of thing aren't able to do so because usually their WiiU is broken and can't do this anyway. Oh yeah, the 3DS has been able to do this since release, but the games are still tied to the system, so if your system breaks your SOL unless Nintendo pulls some magic out of their bums.

Yes, but don't worry! You see, they just fixed this by letting you transfer stuff over to another WiiU as long as both are updated to the latest firmware and both are in working order! /s

However, if one is not updated fully and/or is broken, you'll have to send it into Nintendo just like everyone else has been doing for the past two years.

Honestly, why would anyone do this unless they were switching consoles for some odd reason or they knew their WiiU was going to die and didn't want to deal with Nintendo? People that NEED this kind of thing aren't able to do so because usually their WiiU is broken and can't do this anyway. Oh yeah, the 3DS has been able to do this since release, but the games are still tied to the system, so if your system breaks your SOL unless Nintendo pulls some magic out of their bums.

Sony has a limit of systems and the epically dumb situation that you can only deactivate a console from the console, if you forget and sell it or it breaks you have just lost a console on your limit of systems you can use your content on.

The only way around it is an online ability to deactivate all your devices in one fell swoop, but they only let you do it once every 6 months, the feature isn't very reliable and my friend is stuck because he has 3 consoles and can only play his games on 2 of them at any one time, the deactivation on his account has stopped working and Sony are being completely useless over it.

I don't understand what it is with Japanese companies and archaic practices with certain things, kudos to Microsoft AFAIK there has been no such BS with their system neither the 360 or the Xbone.

So yeah, I wouldn't buy something with those kind of limitations, I don't mind buying the game digitally but I don't want to mess about when I have a new system (especially if it was system failure out of warranty and unlike a PC I have to replace the whole machine if I can't repair it rather than just slot a part out)

Steam has it good as a DRM platform, I don't find Steamworks intrusive or disabling at all in all honesty, just go verify your email and away you go, play your games.

I don't understand what it is with Japanese companies and archaic practices with certain things, kudos to Microsoft AFAIK there has been no such BS with their system neither the 360 or the Xbone.

Microsoft has it setup to where both the system and your account have licenses. Your account has the main license and you can go to any Xbox 360/One and download and play your games as long as you have an Internet connection to download them with.

For your system license, any account can use the Xbox 360/One and can play your downloaded games with their own account. You can transfer system licenses by signing in on the new Xbox 360/One and transfer the license over right then and there. However, you can only do this once every 6 months, if you need to have it transfered within that time just call up MS about it and it should be taken care of by providing the new console's information(ID# and whatnot) and be currently signed into the console with your account.

I really have to give Microsoft props for this aspect of the new consoles. For the Xbox 360 the process is just "License Transfer" and for the Xbox One it's "Home Xbox" setting.

Microsoft has it setup to where both the system and your account have licenses. Your account has the main license and you can go to any Xbox 360/One and download and play your games as long as you have an Internet connection to download them with.

For your system license, any account can use the Xbox 360/One and can play your downloaded games with their own account. You can transfer system licenses by signing in on the new Xbox 360/One and transfer the license over right then and there. However, you can only do this once every 6 months, if you need to have it transfered within that time just call up MS about it and it should be taken care of by providing the new console's information(ID# and whatnot) and be currently signed into the console with your account.

I really have to give Microsoft props for this aspect of the new consoles. For the Xbox 360 the process is just "License Transfer" and for the Xbox One it's "Home Xbox" setting.

Yes, I'm not a fan of some of Microsoft's practices but they do some things better than their competition (Sony/Nintendo).

A fine reason to prefer the 360 last generation was because Microsoft had no installs on downloaded games or DLC, as soon as the download finishes you can go immediately, where as with the PS3 there was a long old wait while you installed whatever you had downloaded, even setting something to install automatically once downloaded did not come quickly as a feature at all.

Sony have really learned from the last gen hardware wise, and in my opinion have taken care of those issues, no more proprietary Cell architecture, a seperate chip to handle updates/downloads when the system is off, and the system for installing/downloading games runs rings around the Xbox one, installing a game on PS4 from a disc takes a matter of literally just a minute before you can play where as the Xbox one must fully complete.

The same is true for digital downloads from the Xbox one, it takes a monumentally long time in comparison to the way PS4 handles it by only requiring partial install before you can launch.

My hat goes off big time to Sony for the choices they have made with the design and hardware funcionality this time around, it's leaps and bounds better than the PS3 was and a lot better than the Xbox one.

The issue with digital content licensing however, continues and in terms of actually operating a digital marketplace the edge still goes to Microsoft despite the issues with the way their hardware works. I can see Sony becoming more competitive as time goes on if they address issues with activation.