White box workstation build help

I need some help configuring a workstation build for me on my line of work.  I'm studying to be a network engineer right now and I was trying to build an entry level PC to get me started, but then when I get a job in the field and make more money I can upgrade it as the job requires me to. It will be used to be a little bit of a game play computer for youtube if I have the time, but more than likely just for work.

Parts List ----> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QQQxRB

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Looks good, if you can a 770 will definitely have improvement's.  I have a 600t and the thing is sexy, I've got the color scheme white and black. Everything in the case is black excluding tops of my ram and I individually sleeved my psu cables.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

I don't suggest going with a last-gen Nvidia card. Get something like the 760 or 770.

Linksy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121775&cm_re=760-_-14-121-775-_-Product

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Looks pretty darn good how it is. If you're planning to do upgrades in the future, you might look into getting a higher wattage power supply so you don't have to get another one if you end up throwing more powerful graphics cards in there.

The main thing I would be upgrading would be the motherboard, RAM, CPU and getting a newer version of the CPU cooler if it craps out on me before then.

Here is my build, you can always get more RAM.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($274.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97-WS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($285.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PNY Quadro 4000 2GB Video Card  ($715.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Dell S2340L 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Dell S2340L 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($90.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards) 
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2396.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Looks good, if you can a 770 will definitely have improvement's.  I have a 600t and the thing is sexy, I've got the color scheme white and black. Everything in the case is black excluding tops of my ram and I individually sleeved my psu cables.

Yeah it is really nice. I thought it would be smaller to be honest, but the spacious size makes it nice to work with.

Here is my build, you can always get more RAM.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($274.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97-WS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($285.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PNY Quadro 4000 2GB Video Card  ($715.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($90.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards) 
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2236.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Would the Quadro really help? (not trying to be rude I'm actually curious)

Would the Quadro really help? (not trying to be rude I'm actually curious)

I don't know much about Quadro's, but it is a Workstation card. So......

I don't know much about Quadro's, but it is a Workstation card. So......

I mean mainly my line of work will require me to make diagrams of networks and layouts and being on terminal to help out with installing code from time to time and mainly surfing the web.

I mean mainly my line of work will require me to make diagrams of networks and layouts and being on terminal to help out with installing code from time to time and mainly surfing the web.

You should start a new thread about Quadros. 

I don't suggest going with a last-gen Nvidia card. Get something like the 760 or 770.

Linksy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121775&cm_re=760-_-14-121-775-_-Product

Disagree. They're all Kepler cards and therefore the same generation. I wonder how the 750ti performs compared to the 660ti though.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Disagree. They're all Kepler cards and therefore the same generation. I wonder how the 750ti performs compared to the 660ti though.

Okay, there is still performance improvements over the last-generation. so why go with the 600 series when you can spend the same amount and get more performance by going with the 700 series.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Okay, there is still performance improvements over the last-generation. so why go with the 600 series when you can spend the same amount and get more performance by going with the 700 series.

Hmm... You're right, pricing on the 660ti does seem a little steep on Amazon compared to what else is available. But I still maintain that you don't get an obsolete architecture if you did manage to find one that was priced appropriately.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Hmm... You're right, pricing on the 660ti does seem a little steep on Amazon compared to what else is available. But I still maintain that you don't get an obsolete architecture if you did manage to find one that was priced appropriately.

I didn't mean my comment to come across as meaning that the 600 series was outdated architecture, that was bad wording on my part.

I need some help configuring a workstation build for me on my line of work.  I'm studying to be a network engineer right now and I was trying to build an entry level PC to get me started, but then when I get a job in the field and make more money I can upgrade it as the job requires me to. It will be used to be a little bit of a game play computer for youtube if I have the time, but more than likely just for work.

Parts List ----> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QQQxRB

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I would suggest a slightly different approach.

The i7-4970K because it is the most powerful (read fastest) LGA1150 cpu currently available. CPU are not something that are usually cost effective to upgrade.

2x8GB of memory because it should be more than sufficient and can easily and cost effectively be upgraded to 24GB or 32GB later on.

No aftermarket heat sink because when you decide that you want to overclock one can be easily added.

A 1TB ssd. Should be more than enough storage for most school stuff. It is easy and inexpensive to upgrade storage as needs demand. Having such a large ssd will make the system very responsive.

An excellent psu of sufficient size to handle an upgraded system.

I noticed that there were no prices beside the GTX 660 Ti or monitors. I assume this means that you already have them. If you don't I would suggest a newer architecture gpu. Depending on your gaming needs you might also want something with a little more power. Network design software typically doesn't care about the gpu. If you don't have the monitors you might consider getting IPS panels as they have better viewing angles and color reproduction.

Oops, it appears that was my fault.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($202.99 @ NCIX US)

Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.00 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($444.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($319.99 @ TigerDirect)

Case: Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.97 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: Acer H276HLbmid 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($199.99 @ Newegg)

Monitor: Acer H276HLbmid 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($199.99 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($90.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards)

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $2086.89

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

If you want that much flash I'd honestly recommend 512GB SSD's in RAID0. Perhaps slightly more costly but at least you've got a pair of SATA buses to saturate instead of just one. Obviously the 1TB drive will be plenty fast, but a pair of smaller ones will be faster still.

I mean most of my storage will come later on down the road from external storage in a Drobo Box.

If you want that much flash I'd honestly recommend 512GB SSD's in RAID0. Perhaps slightly more costly but at least you've got a pair of SATA buses to saturate instead of just one. Obviously the 1TB drive will be plenty fast, but a pair of smaller ones will be faster still.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.