How to ship a PC

Keven

Yeah, but this is a guy who doesn't even know how to turn on a PC, much less try to put in a GPU. Plus, it was on it's way back, but it was reported stolen at Tokyo Int'l. I would be like, "SHIT."

It was reported stolen? Holy shit. Your luck sucks

If you do get it back, hopefully you can recover the mobo and CPU. I bet at least some will be recoverable. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It was reported stolen? Holy shit. Your luck sucks

If you do get it back, hopefully you can recover the mobo and CPU. I bet at least some will be recoverable. 

Nope. The coolant spilled all over the motherboard. It was under a whole lot of air pressure, due to the moving plane, so and then it burst, spraying coolant everywhere, even in the PSU. So, now I can't RMA any of these parts. A 6K loss. And this wasn't the only computer under my hands that was stolen. My own personal rig, my Q6600 sig rig, was stolen while I was on vacation, but luckily I got it back. The sad part was how it was returned. A whole bunch of parts smashed up or stolen.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Nope. The coolant spilled all over the motherboard. It was under a whole lot of air pressure, due to the moving plane, so and then it burst, spraying coolant everywhere, even in the PSU. So, now I can't RMA any of these parts. A 6K loss. And this wasn't the only computer under my hands that was stolen. My own personal rig, my Q6600 sig rig, was stolen while I was on vacation, but luckily I got it back. The sad part was how it was returned. A whole bunch of parts smashed up or stolen.

didn't think of the pressure. Still water soaked parts in some cases can be recovered. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

didn't think of the pressure. Still water soaked parts in some cases can be recovered. 

Nope. When the guy got it, he tried to turn it on (such an idiotic move). I told him never, ever turn it on when it's wet. He was such a dumb bastard.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Nope. When the guy got it, he tried to turn it on (such an idiotic move). I told him never, ever turn it on when it's wet. He was such a dumb bastard.

wow! this has been one of THE most painful threads I have ever read...

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

wow! this has been one of THE most painful threads I have ever read...

He was such a pain in the ass to deal with technically, but he wanted a high end system?? Loopy.

He was such a pain in the ass to deal with technically, but he wanted a high end system?? Loopy.

it should be a rule "you must have this much technical knowledge to be able to run a high end system"

it should be a rule "you must have this much technical knowledge to be able to run a high end system"

LOL, I wish, but then the person would try to sue me for denying service. And then the guy threatened to come over to the US and beat me up if I didn't give his money back in 48 hours. So that meant a 12K loss. 6K for his money, 6K for loss of parts.

LOL, I wish, but then the person would try to sue me for denying service. And then the guy threatened to come over to the US and beat me up if I didn't give his money back in 48 hours. So that meant a 12K loss. 6K for his money, 6K for loss of parts.

He forgets you can shoot trespassers in most places in the US. But yea it still would've looked bad even though he probably wouldn't have. 

muh specs 

All parts black

just a idea for the future, if someone asks you to ship something crazy like this over a long distance make them sign a waiver that makes it so you won't screwed over like this, because HE demanded that it was shipped over completely assembled!

just a idea for the future, if someone asks you to ship something crazy like this over a long distance make them sign a waiver that makes it so you won't screwed over like this, because HE demanded that it was shipped over completely assembled!

And say that you are not responsible for damages to your equipment. The freight company is.

And say that you are not responsible for damages to your equipment. The freight company is.

yep

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and I need to ship my PC across the US. Any tips on how to do this? Thanks!

Get one of these.......no i am not kidding....... and make sure if will hold you PC properly and then carry it with you as luggage, No one will take care of your stuff like you can. You can also take out the GPU, CPU cooler(if water cooling remove the radiators too), RAM, and any devices in the PCI/E slots and then ship it via a courier. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

yep

I want to sue them for improper handling.

I want to sue them for improper handling.

not sure how one would go about that without them possibly trying to spin it off as "you should have packed it better"

If I were shipping a system, I would remove the HDDs. GPUs. and cooler if its an air (if its water, its allright to leave it there but I would remove it nevertheless) I wouald leave the rest in, put a lot of antistatic foam around it and get shipping insurance because praying is not enough. 

PC in Profile

not sure how one would go about that without them possibly trying to spin it off as "you should have packed it better"

I packed it right. I packed it in 7 inch thick styrofoam and wrapped in bubble wrap. But it still got destroyed. The trip from my house to the airport wasn't so bad, but IDK how it gets so much damage from the plane ride.

Reading this entire thread pains me at every post that goes more and more into detail about the computer sent to Japan. Man that suuuuuuuucks sooo bad. Makes me scared to ship anything anywhere now. lol

Reading this entire thread pains me at every post that goes more and more into detail about the computer sent to Japan. Man that suuuuuuuucks sooo bad. Makes me scared to ship anything anywhere now. lol

Don't even try anymore. Don't trust the freight companies. Even ground shipping sucks. I tried to buy a GTX 750ti for my dad's system. Bad idea. The box came all squished, but still hoping the GPU was still ok. Wrongo. The heatsink broke off, fan blades broke off, and even the PCB broke in half. I demanded a refund, Newegg refused. Now it's just a sitting pile of junk.

Yeah, but this is a guy who doesn't even know how to turn on a PC, much less try to put in a GPU. Plus, it was on it's way back, but it was reported stolen at Tokyo Int'l. I would be like, "SHIT."

You should have made him sign somethign saying that if it breaks in shipping, he gets fuck all money back from you.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

You should have made him sign somethign saying that if it breaks in shipping, he gets fuck all money back from you.

He did. He denied signing it though when I said he was responsible for the damages, not me.

He did. He denied signing it though when I said he was responsible for the damages, not me.

You can sue him then; if you have this as a physical piece with his signature or whatever on it.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number