Help with new Smartphone.

Go to solution Solved by OriginalPromise,

Hmm. The E's battery is barely smaller than the G's. It also has a smaller screen with less pixels. Would the battery of the E, theoretically at least, last longer than the G's? As I said above, I have my Nexus 10 for more power hungry apps and multitasking, so battery life is more important than power and/or screen size/quality.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/motorola-moto-e-battery-life/

http://blog.gsmarena.com/motorola-moto-g-battery-life-endurance/

Theoretically proven throughout testing, the E does last longer than the G.

They're both fantastic devices. Pick whatever you'd like. 

And I recommend you replace the Nexus 10 sooner or later. The GPU and that Dual core CPU can't support such resolution. Hell even the Exynos 5420 has a hard time supporting the resolution. 

After many years of use, my trusty Motorola Razr V3 died. :(  So I guess, it's time to catch up with the future and get my self a smartphone.

What I want is an Android phone, with good internet connection (4G?) and a price tag of 100-150 euros (~135-200 dollars). The main use it'll get is phone calls, texts and being used as an access point for my Nexus 10.

I've been looking at the Nexus 4 and 5 (too pricey for my budget) and the Moto G (barely in my budget, as it's 200$, without the almost certain additional shipping and taxes). Taking in consideration the use I want it for, the price tags seem a bit off, but I want a phone that I'll keep for years on end (like my Rarzr).

Anyone got any good alternatives to propose? Or opinions on the for mentioned (especially MotoG).

the moto g is a very good phone for your needs, i think you should try it out in a store if you can. Its a solid phone for the price you pay and the build quality is good enough to last you for a couple of years.

My PC Specs:          CPU: i5 4690k(stock speed of 3.50GHz)          GPU: MSI GTX 770 4GB          Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD and 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD             Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz           Motherboard: Z97 Asus Maximus VII Ranger          PSU: Corsair RM650 650W          CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO                    Case: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl with window         OS: Windows 10 Pro                                

There is a 4G version of the moto G that has a SD card slot too. Might be worth looking at.

Aren't its connection options tuned/limited for US only? 'Cause that's what the online shop says. (Unless I'm a complete idiot and don't understand what I'm reading.)

Aren't its connection options tuned/limited for US only? 'Cause that's what the online shop says. (Unless I'm a complete idiot and don't understand what I'm reading.)

You just have to find out what bands your carrier uses and compare them to the bands on the Moto G

It definitely would be your best bet though. The other budget phones don't even really come close to it.

Is 4G well covered in your area?

HSPA+ is more than fast enough for most people. You won't notice an increase in webpage loads with 4G, just downloads.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

LG Electronics Optimus F5 P875

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

At that budget, the only option I could think of is the Mote G w/ 4G connectivity. Reviewers love this phone as it is well build and solid. Anything else would break in a couple of months at the low pricepoint you're talking about.

There's also the Moto E worth checking out also.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Honestly I think the Moto G 4G is the best option, it's a high spec low-end device, what's your location? Never mind just saw it, anyway you can get it from here, should be affordable.

http://store.orange.com/index/

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I'd like to thank everyone for the replies!

You just have to find out what bands your carrier uses and compare them to the bands on the Moto G

It definitely would be your best bet though. The other budget phones don't even really come close to it.

Is 4G well covered in your area?
HSPA+ is more than fast enough for most people. You won't notice an increase in webpage loads with 4G, just downloads.

All I'll do on 3/4G would be checking my email and Tweeter, some chatting on FB/Steam, at most a bit of YouTube and Hearthstone (when it finally releases for Android), would the difference on 4G be noticeable?

LG Electronics Optimus F5 P875

Does it support external memory? Beacause (I forgot to mention that) it'll also become my MP3 player. Also, after checking the MotoE, I don't think I need much more research. It's down to Moto E or Moto G (4G).

At that budget, the only option I could think of is the Mote G w/ 4G connectivity. Reviewers love this phone as it is well build and solid. Anything else would break in a couple of months at the low pricepoint you're talking about.
There's also the Moto E worth checking out also.

Now, that's spot on for my price point! It has 2 SIMs which is useless to me, but the SD card support is a giant plus. It doesn't seem to support 4G though. As I asked above, will the difference between 4G and 3G be noticeable for my use?

Honestly I think the Moto G 4G is the best option, it's a high spec low-end device, what's your location? Never mind just saw it, anyway you can get it from here, should be affordable.

http://store.orange.com/index/

I'll probably get my new phone from a local store but I'll keep that in mind, thaks!

@Petroklos Yes you will notice a huge difference between 3G and 4G. I'm not sure if the G supports LTE though.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

@Petroklos Yes you will notice a huge difference between 3G and 4G. I'm not sure if the G supports LTE though.

Hmm. The E's battery is barely smaller than the G's. It also has a smaller screen with less pixels. Would the battery of the E, theoretically at least, last longer than the G's? As I said above, I have my Nexus 10 for more power hungry apps and multitasking, so battery life is more important than power and/or screen size/quality.

And I recommend you replace the Nexus 10 sooner or later. The GPU and that Dual core CPU can't support such resolution. Hell even the Exynos 5420 has a hard time supporting the resolution. 

#GALAXY

#ATIV

It'll have to be later, as I'll soon need a new computer. Also it's less than a year old... Also also, as you might have noticed from my extremely warm reaction to the MotoE, I have a rather tight budget.

Aaanyway, thanks a ton for the help! I'll give it some more thought and then I'll got get myself a new phone! (most likely the MotoE)