Use Intel iGPU as pass trough for AMD card?

Ashratt

Hi everyone, 

i have a secondary monitor which needs a vga connection and the r9 290 doesn't feature a RAMDAC anymore and i don't want to buy an active adapter. Would it be somehow possible to send the video signal from the AMD card to the hd 4000 (have an i5 3570k) and just use the iGPU for converting the signal to analogue? Depending on the game i would also want to play on my 2nd monitor so that's why i don't just use the hd4000 as a dedicated card for the 2nd monitor.

Could you not use a DP to VGA adapter?

Hi everyone, 

i have a secondary monitor which needs a vga connection and the r9 290 doesn't feature a RAMDAC anymore and i don't want to buy an active adapter. Would it be somehow possible to send the video signal from the AMD card to the hd 4000 (have an i5 3570k) and just use the iGPU for converting the signal to analogue? Depending on the game i would also want to play on my 2nd monitor so that's why i don't just use the hd4000 as a dedicated card for the 2nd monitor.

Could you not use a DP to VGA adapter?

yes and no ^^

the active ones are expensive and still don't provide enough bandwidth for higher refresh rates

Hi everyone, 

It is possible to display on the VGA through iGPU but I believe (correct me if I am wrong) all the signal (DVI, HDMI, VGA,etc...) would have to be connected through the iGPU as you need to do AMD enduro which is basically similar to switchable graphics on laptop but is done on the fly.

I believe you also need to switch a setting on the BIOS to switchable gpu (iGPU) and use a specific driver.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390542

if you want to game on you're 2nd monitor (solely under full screen mode), you need to make it your main display under desktop screen resolution.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

It is possible to display on the VGA through iGPU but I believe (correct me if I am wrong) all the signal (DVI, HDMI, VGA,etc...) would have to be connected through the iGPU as you need to do AMD enduro which is basically similar to switchable graphics on laptop but is done on the fly.

I believe you also need to switch a setting on the BIOS to switchable gpu (iGPU) and use a specific driver.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390542

if you want to game on you're 2nd monitor (solely under full screen mode), you need to make it your main display under desktop screen resolution.

this looks very interesting, but unfortunately this only seems to support the mobile gpus up to the hd 8000 but i am on a desktop pc; enduro isn't available at all on desktops i think

but i will give the modified driver for intel gpus a try, lets see what happens  ^_^