Definitive answer needed

Ok, I'm looking at upgrading to an intel cpu and motherboard. I know that I will have to do a fresh complete reinstall, but the question is this.

Will I have to buy a new windows 7 license?

I have heard yes and no answers to this question, and I don't understand what all the confusion is. Is it yes or no?

Some people have told me no, you just have to do a complete reinstall because of the drivers and whatnot.

Some have told me that yes, you have to get a new license because it's technically a new computer (even though the "old computer" wont be in use, and the operating system will be wiped from the hard drive and SSD before reinstallation via optical drive)

So which is it? My copy didn't come with the hardware, I purchased it online from newegg as a disc. I am doing this for school because my current cpu doesn't actually meet the minimum standards for my online schoolwork, and is in general a giant piece of crap I wish I'd never bought lol.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

all you do is after deleting the OS from your old rig and install it in the new rig and go to activate this copy of windows.

right click my computer>Properties> at the bottom of the page it will say activate this copy of windows and it will have you call microsoft and tell them your doing a reinstall.

Ive done this with the same copy of windows 7 Professional 64 bit 3-4 times.

With Windows 7 it shouldn't be a problem, just use the key again and if it doesn't work you can just skip activation during the install and use the automated activation system via your phone.

all you do is after deleting the OS from your old rig and install it in the new rig and go to activate this copy of windows.

right click my computer>Properties> at the bottom of the page it will say activate this copy of windows and it will have you call microsoft and tell them your doing a reinstall.

Ive done this with the same copy of windows 7 Professional 64 bit 3-4 times.

So, If I call them and tell them I'm just doing a reinstall, then I wont have to pay anything? Just kind of tight on money and cannot afford another $100 for a new disc.

yeah they will ask 1 or 2 questions then activate it over the internet. super easy. the whole re activation process takes 2-3 minutes. 

yeah they will ask 1 or 2 questions then activate it over the internet. super easy. the whole re activation process takes 2-3 minutes. 

If for some reason they don't, will I be able to reinstall it to the old motherboard and cpu?

I just don't want to get half way through the process and get shafted by them lol

you can get a tool that gets your key from the registry and you can re-use it no problemo.

maybe you will have to do the phone-activation.

I have the activation key. The issue is that as far as microsoft is concerned, it will be a new computer even though the old one is going into storage (likely forever)

I have the activation key. The issue is that as far as microsoft is concerned, it will be a new computer even though the old one is going into storage (likely forever)

it is not a problem.

you can even use one license on multiple pcs at the same time. i wouldnt recommend it tho.

Wow they're tech support is worthless, apparently you can only get a phone call or a chat session, been waiting for the chat session to begin for about 15 minutes now,

What the hell is wrong with an email?

So basically, waited 30 minutes, was told try again later.

sigh......

What is the license of your Windows 7? (Retail, upgrade, OEM or OEM from manufacture)

And to continue @GoodBytes question. From which platform (mobo/chipset) and to which are you going? Since its bought as disc, we can limit options to either OEM or retail. Both of those (Win7 and older) can be used with new motherboard. If its OEM, don't enter key during installation process, do it while activating windows. Thats how I did mine about year ago.

I would suggess doing complete reinstall. You can remove all drivers for chipset etc. but there's no guarantee that it will work. Most extreme case would be going from AMD to Intel.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv