UK anti-piracy action set to begin

aj101202
-snip

It cost me the validity of a statement that doesn't really need a supporting argument or example (that censorship is wrong) because you decided to nitpick over something stupid, that didn't really matter.

And now your attacking and insulting me. Hence I shall disregard you as a troll, and not comment on this again.

Censorship is wrong, go piracy. I'm done here.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It cost me the validity of a statement that doesn't really need a supporting argument or example (that censorship is wrong) because you decided to nitpick over something stupid, that didn't really matter.

And now your attacking and insulting me. Hence I shall disregard you as a troll, and not comment on this again.

Censorship is wrong, go piracy. I'm done here.

Sorry, but as i mentioned previously, there are situations in which censorship is vital and beneficial, namely in military and government duties. It is not clear cut or simple in any way.

My bad for insulting you, I got riled up by you blaming your 'allies' for your argument being torn.

You are still ignoring the fact that by using evidence that is false, your argument becomes something to be laughed at and not taken seriously. That, as i reiterate for what seems like the hundredth time, was the issue. You bring down everyone who is with you on your argument, including me, when you make mistakes like that, and when you brush off such mistakes as no biggie, you set yourself up for a fall.

My only intention was to try and get you to understand that you are the only one harming your argument.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

There are several online movie options in Australia (In America they are $1( here they are $5.99 (bigpond for example for the latest dvd release).  you don't need subscription tv and I am not too sure what brochure you are reading but there is more than one option and the packages usually start at $50 a month.  However that is irrelevant as I am talking about online content.  New release movies from a shop can be anything from $12 to $30 they are not ALL $30.   Please check your facts.  Average land-line internet connection in Australia suburbs is 15Mb/s and median speed for Aus. is 9Mb/s.  Don't believe all the whining and bullshit about Australian internet. 

Scroll down to distribution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscription_television_in_Australia

I can see at least three options for you in Sydney.

For internet speed read this, this is from 5 years ago, and speeds have increased since then:

http://thebernoullitrial.wordpress.com/2009/03/17/median-adsl2-broadband-speed-in-australia/

Sorry but things are not as black and white as your post makes them out to be.

First the movie rentals, $6 is a bit more than $1. For example if I wanted to watch The Hobbit, to rent for 7days/72 hours of viewing it will cost $6 or I could go buy the Blu-ray for $20 at JB Hi-Fi The rental price is disproportionate to the purchase price. Then on top, you are limited to how good your internet connection actually is. For the US that ratio is different to buy the same copy at walmart is $30 vs $1 rental ( as you have stated). Thus in the US it is better to rent at $1, here it is better to buy or "borrow" it. However the fact the rental price is a rip-off is a cause for piracy. But you can't just lump USA & Australia into the same bracket.

links

JB

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/adventure/hobbit-the-the-desolation-of-smaug/526333/

Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Hobbit-The-Desolation-Of-Smaug-3D-Blu-ray-Blu-ray-DVD-Digital-HD-Widescreen/35174223?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=83438180668&category=0%3A4096%3A616859%3A616999&client_guid=399aba7b-592d-46c6-855a-1959352f7b21&config_id=2&parent_item_id=34478887&guid=e59fecbb-e013-45f8-a18e-07da52ba2923&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

Personally I buy my DVD's & Blu-rays, but sometimes we are given no options. For example I bought Stargate Universe Season 1 (Blu-ray) & Season 2 (DVD) The only reason I bought S2 on DVD cause universal saw fit to never release a DB set globally, so I downloaded a 720p version of season 2. What I did there was piracy, but Universal chose not to make available a HD set. It's not like I an unwilling to buy the damn thing. and if they ever decide to release I will buy it.

Regarding Pay TV and it's options, It's not as simple as the wiki makes it out to be. Foxtel cable is only available to houses where the cable is already laid, They stopped cable rollout ages ago. thus my only option is Foxtel satellite, which my Unit has connection to. ironically We do have optus cable in this street but they will not connect. This is part of the problem the content providers refusing to wire to unit blocks. My mother bought a new unit on a corner block in Croydon on one street there was Telstra (Foxtel) cable the other Optus. The entire building was wired for cable so all they had to do was run the cable to the junction box. But no, neither would do it thus she also had to go for satellite. IPTV does seem to be an option however you have to consider it will be saturation your internet connection then there is the lack of content.

So back to Foxtel, yes you can just get the basic package for $50pm and what does this get you a basic package with access to repeats, news and not much else, the real stuff is in the add ons. So for example if I wanted to get Game of Thrones, The most torrented TV show in OZ. This will cost $74 pm on a 6 month contract, Basic + Movies and Drama package, which totals to $370 for the contract period. which equates to $37 per episode. yes that is just taking that show into account they maybe others I would watch but looking at the programme they are repeats and I already bought the DVD/BR's.

Foxtel this year have sole rights for broadcast, those rights prevent any other supplier to broadcast any episode till the entire season had finished. Now this show is a part of pop culture. So unless you move to a cave with no contact with the human race you are going to struggle to avoid spoilers. Foxtel have created a monopoly, it's up to them to change their business model as the march of technology has left them behind. they could easily provide shows on a rental basis via internet ( much like the bigpond movies) and make the show available 24hr's or less after the screeening, But they choose not to give that option, hence you have a piracy issue.

Regarding broadband internet it is also again not so simple.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/01/most-aussies-have-crappy-internet-speeds/

7.1 million Australians are getting less than 24Mbps from the copper network, while 3.7 million others are located in areas where estimated peak speeds are less than 9Mbps. 920,000 customers have less than 4.8Mbps available.

The survey found that there are still 700,000 premises around the nation that are unable to get any broadband at all

a surprising 3.1 million Aussies have access to a high-speed broadband connection (over either fibre-to-the-node, hybrid fibre coaxial netoworks and fixed wireless networks). According to the survey, these folks achieve download speeds of between 25Mbps and 110Mbps

Median speed really mean nothing there is a major disparity between ADSL 1/2 and other high speed connections, which will skew the numbers for the average speed higher.

This is my ADSL2 connection I am approximately 400m from the exchange.

Your line speed is 11.92 Mbps (11918 kbps).

Your download speed is 1.45 MB/s (1490 KB/s)

This is less than half of the theoretical speeds it could deliver and this is with a premium supplier (iinet), not a unlimited congested network.

Simply we are limited in our options. With units/ apartments, ADSL is the only option, houses ADSL, cable (if available) or fibre. A friend recently bought a house in Woodcroft his options were either ADSL 1 or cable. Realistically ADSL 1 isn't an option so he went with cable.

What we have here in Sydney is a broadband network that is aging and is well past it's expiration date and we are charged a ridiculous amount for it with bugger all choice.

My internet costs $140 pm for 1 TB download cap, phone & unlimited local national and mobile.

Now compare this to the USA

http://www.comcast.com/internet-service.html

Blast plus is $60pm and you get HBO & you get  45+ streaming channels with that.

Now you could go all out and get HD Preferred plus for $130pm and get unlimited everything and 230+ digital channels on a 105Mb connection.

to get anything remotely similar here, Telstra Entertainer supreme plan with 500GB data $260pm

https://telstra.com.au/bundles/

Piracy in Australia is a problem yes, but when you factor in our stifled market, which is controlled by price gouging monopolies, who limit timely content delivery options, it is a breeding ground for piracy. Till we have true competition in Subscription TV & internet nothing is going to change.

Educating people about pirating, and going after distributors instead of end users sounds like a great idea.

Most people don't know. Most people can barely tie their shoes.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

whole lot of text.

Yes actually things are that simple.  People just seem to get carried away and don't look at the facts.

You did read the link I posted didn't you?  The results in that post are reflected by both whirlpool surveys and by ookla data.  On top of that they are reflected also in ABS data.

The basic fact of the matter is that average and median speeds in Australia are not far from American speeds, given we are spread further and have only a 1/10th of their population this is remarkable.

Also you should not to rely on articles that rely on government propaganda as their only source.

Our market is not stifled, it just isn't big enough to support 148 channels of cable.  Also you have compared completely different deals, the Comcast deals are entry specials, they guarantee no particular speed (they say upto in the fine print), and go up significantly in cost after 12 months.  In fact some would argue that we get better deals here because the total monthly cost does not change.

I didn't "lump" America and Australia together in terms of financial similarities (or differences), I did however Lump them together in terms of attitude.

But the main thing I got out of your post was that the biggest reason we pirate is because our internet is crap  and that it's slightly cheaper to by a bluray in jbhifi than it is to buy at wallmart online.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.