UK anti-piracy action set to begin

aj101202

Quote from BBC today:

"The email warnings form part of a larger scheme that aims to highlight the value of the UK's creative industries

People in the UK who persistently pirate music and movies will soon start getting emails warning them that their actions are illegal.

The warnings are part of a larger scheme that aims to educate people about copyright and legal ways to enjoy digital content.

Starting next year, up to four warnings annually will be sent to households suspected of copyright infringement.

But if people ignore the warnings, no further action will be taken.

The warning system is the result of four years' wrangling between internet service providers (ISPs) and industry bodies representing music and movie-makers.

The original enforcement regime was outlined in the Digital Economy Act 2010 and called for persistent pirates to have their net access cut off after a series of warnings.

'Difficult to protect'

In addition, rights holders wanted warning letters to mention the potential penalties people would face for copyright infringement and access to a database of known illegal file-sharers.

The years of talks brokered by the government have led to the creation of the Voluntary Copyright Alert Programme (Vcap) that uses warnings via email or post.

The UK's biggest ISPs - BT, TalkTalk, Virgin and Sky - have signed up to Vcap. Many smaller ISPs are expected to join later.

In addition, the UK government has pledged to contribute £3.5m to an education campaign that will promote legal ways to listen to music and watch movies.

Introducing the three-year educational scheme, Business Secretary Vince Cable said the initiative was all about supporting the UK's creative industries.

"It's a difficult industry to pin down and it's also difficult to protect," he said. "But unless you protect it then it's an industry that cannot function."

'Persuading the persuadable'

Government estimates suggest the UK's creative industries contribute £71bn to the UK economy and support about 1.68 million jobs.

Geoff Taylor, chief executive of the BPI, said it had been a "long road" to produce the Vcap agreement. He said that though it lacked punitive action it could still help bring about change in people's habits.

"It's about persuading the persuadable, such as parents who do not know what is going on with their net connection," he said.

"Vcap is not about denying access to the internet. It's about changing attitudes and raising awareness so people can make the right choice," he said.

As well as taking part in Vcap, the BPI and other rights holders were working on other fronts to tackle persistent pirates, file-sharing sites and to suppress the economy that supported them, said Mr Taylor.

These initiatives included issuing notices to Google about links to pirated content, action in the courts to shut down websites that offer links to infringing content, and working with advertisers to limit the funds that flow to file-sharing sites."

What's does everyone think of this will it help or is the government wasting money as usual

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

It's great and all, but I'm sure people will be able to find a way around it. They always do.

Personally, I think we have more important issues in the UK, but that's just me.

EDIT - Linksy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28374457

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

To clarify, the "reminders" are being sent to file sharers. At least, that's what i heard when i was listening to the radio.

To add to the discussion, I think they need to do something about the price of digital content, as someone who only watches tv shows and movies once, I'm not going to spend £20 for half the season of adventure time. I use netflix for the shows that are on there, if they aren't i will check amazon/itunes to check the price, if it is ridiculously overpriced (and incomplete in adventure time's case), then ofc i'm going to pirate it, i'm not made of money.

The warnings will help people who legitimately think what they're doing is fine, my cousin streams film, but he insists that it's not illegal, and i cant be assed to argue with him. So an email from BT should put him in his place.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

Why do I get the feeling that this law is shady and misleading?

Edited by Loe

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

Cue in the all the posts about piracy not being an issue and all the BS justification for it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

yeah i read this and thought whats the point....instead of hitting it head on and failing....hard. why not change the buissness models so that piracy becomes more hassle than its worth it. this is bollocks they give letters but if you ignore them there is no recorse....whats the fucking point! what a waste of money this shit law was.. 

office 365 is the best example of this for me. its just plain better to pay the £8 month and get all that storage and the apps for 5 people than it is to pirate it for free.......and ms still make a boatload out of it

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

It just sounds like more bullshit, like that law about how websites have to have obnoxious "WE USE COOKIES LIKE EVERY OTHER WEBSITE" popups.

Pilates

Idiots what are they doing letting this happen.Anti piracy isnt bad but in order for them to know that a file you downloaded they have to scan and record every single thing you do online.What the hell man screw privacy i guess?

This will ruin internet if it goes worldwide too.

I cant stop thinking of this scenario, someone copies music from original source reencodes,encrypts and shares it with friends online in password protected archives now,will these Anti-piracy agencies get hold of your files from your computer? break the archives and listen to the music to see if its copyrighted lol? thats imposible if you ask me,doing it on such a large scale.In other words all they can stop is mass piracy like thepiratebay torrents,but in the begining years of internet i remember there were no torrents since speeds overdistance was very slow,and we were using private software like DC++ to share data between users,all that will happen is we would go back to those types of piracy but stopping data sharing is imposible unles > communism really.

Are they planning to break the privacy laws and scan our computer files and data sharing over internet in order to stop us from breaking copyright laws, genius, "fight fire with fire" used wrong.

Cue in the all the posts about piracy not being an issue and all the BS justification for it. 

Alright here comes one.

This won't solve anything. People already know that piracy is illegal, and many of them already know about the legal alternatives.

Want to know why I pirate? For a few reasons. For example I hate, absolutely loathe DRM. I often pirate stuff I got legal and free access to, just because I don't want some bullshit DRM that makes it impossible to easily watch it. For example I got a ton of TV channels and NetFlix, and yet I still pirate some movies because I don't want to stream it since the bus I take to school goes through long distances where my cellular data connection just dies. I want my media played in my video player of choice, and stored locally so that it's fast (no buffering or waiting required) and doesn't eat up my limited data plan. Other times I literally can't get some content without moving to a different country. A lot of the anime I watch are not released outside of Japan so the only choices I got are to either pirate it, or move to Japan. I pick the first one and then support the creators by buying licensed goods (slightly NSFW).

I wrote a fairly long post about piracy a few years ago (brings up that "baww piracy is hurting the industry" is pure bullshit) and I think it still holds up.

Telling people that piracy is wrong is just a waste of money. What they should do instead is use that money to support and come up with new services that are better than piracy. I have no doubt in my mind that services like Steam, Spotify and NetFlix have reduced piracy, because a lot of the times they are better than piracy. Removing region restrictions (Swedish NetFlix sucks compared to the US one for example) would be a great way to reduce piracy. I see piracy as a solution to a distribution problem. Trying to stop piracy will not fix this problem, it is just a waste of money.

Acceptable rant removed.

That's fine, My issue is with these kiddies in places like America/Australia that can buy their movie online for $1 and stream it with their uncapped internet, or walk two doors down and buy the dvd for $15, yet still pirate it and sit behind their keyboard justifying their actions with geo-blocking or distribution issues.  Neither of which affect them.    If you lived in nth Korea or Rwanda with a dictatorship government blocking all your abilities to view content then fine, or if the content creator won't allow the sale of their content in your country then by all means steal it, they have given up the rights to it in that country anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's fine, My issue is with these kiddies in places like America/Australia that can buy their movie online for $1 and stream it with their uncapped internet, or walk two doors down and buy the dvd for $15, yet still pirate it and sit behind their keyboard justifying their actions with geo-blocking or distribution issues.  Neither of which affect them.    If you lived in nth Korea or Rwanda with a dictatorship government blocking all your abilities to view content then fine, or if the content creator won't allow the sale of their content in your country then by all means steal it, they have given up the rights to it in that country anyway.

In the UK, we can't purchase the entirety of season 5 of adventure time. Piracy is the only way to watch the entire thing.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

I know this law's meaning is somewhat good (note the word 'somewhat', good in legal perspective, bad in pretty much any other perspective), but in all honesty they're just wasting tax payers' money on nothing / making things even worse.

Kinda makes me think how in the flying f*** have the people in the UK government gotten there and managed to stay there? I think it's just too stupid to be true, just by looking at the laws UK government has set recently / is planning on setting.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

If there is no consequence then no will will stop doing it. And besides how will they know if you are infringing on content because I download music and videos legitimately from Youtube such as fan made songs and remixes as well as podcasts does that make me infringing or stealing content.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

That's fine, My issue is with these kiddies in places like America/Australia that can buy their movie online for $1 and stream it with their uncapped internet, or walk two doors down and buy the dvd for $15

Where did you hear that?

Here in Australia we have crap internet and the few unlimited providers are even worse than crap. Regarding the $1 movies nope would like that but we have nothing like that no netflix etc. Any new DVD movie release is easily $30+. The sole pay TV supplier in the country will cost you $124pm to get all channels hell just to get the basic and sport package is $74pm. The classic video stores have gone the way of the dodo here.

Content delivery in this country is stuck in the dark ages, hence we are quite prolific in piracy. It's not an excuse it is just the way it is here.

Agree 100% with Lawlz. In the UK, the situation is absolutely bizzare. The only things I torrent are anime and foreign movies, which are otherwise unavailable full stop over here because netflix, funimation, hulu etc. either contain nothing at all (the first two) or are unavailable full stop (hulu). I used a vpn for a while, and went through loopholes to get access to american sites, because they don't accept uk debit cards and don't allow access to uk ip's at all in any popular services, and gave up when i realised how much time and effort i was wasting when I could just torrent what i liked and get it there and then. It's stupid how it is more difficult to get stuff legally than to get stuff illegally in most cases, at least here in the UK. Services like steam and, to an extent crunchyroll (though it isn't really successful, it seems to be doing alright) work well because the problem with piracy has always been about effort rather than cost. People buy on amazon without a second thought, because you never physically hand over the money - it feels like you are clicking a button and in comes your product. The same should apply to digital content but most of the time it doesn't. Pirates will always pirate, but the problem is the people who would otherwise buy legitimately are actually being forced to pirate because there is no other way to access the content without a huge amount of effort and a disproportianate cost.

TL;DR Maybe if content was actually f-ing available and for reasonable f-ing cost and effort, piracy would be as much of an issue as physical theft, i.e. not something most of the population is involved in or remotely interested in.

Am i reading that right?

Our government have this thing about following through, i.e. they don't. While in this situation it's beneficial to the population, it's telling that the government won't pursue something they have flagged as a problem, nevermind something that the public think is a problem. We tend to follow in the footsteps of america for most things, which is scary.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Am i reading that right?

I was about to put the exact same thing. Even though people will have warnings, there's nothing to stop them from doing it. There isn't even a fine, or internet removal. just a slap on the wrist basically and away you go to do it again. 

Basically, I'm reading this as a waste of money that could have been used somewhere more, how do you say it?, relevant, perhaps better services that offer people what they want at a decent speed. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Our government have this thing about following through, i.e. they don't. While in this situation it's beneficial to the population, it's telling that the government won't pursue something they have flagged as a problem, nevermind something that the public think is a problem. We tend to follow in the footsteps of america for most things, which is scary.

I was about to put the exact same thing. Even though people will have warnings, there's nothing to stop them from doing it. There isn't even a fine, or internet removal. just a slap on the wrist basically and away you go to do it again. 

Basically, I'm reading this as a waste of money that could have been used somewhere more, how do you say it?, relevant, perhaps better services that offer people what they want at a decent speed. 

Something else a friend of mine pointed out to me

In addition, the UK government has pledged to contribute £3.5m to an education campaign that will promote legal ways to listen to music and watch movies

In other words a Government funded advertising campaign.

Where did you hear that?

Here in Australia we have crap internet and the few unlimited providers are even worse than crap. Regarding the $1 movies nope would like that but we have nothing like that no netflix etc. Any new DVD movie release is easily $30+. The sole pay TV supplier in the country will cost you $124pm to get all channels hell just to get the basic and sport package is $74pm. The classic video stores have gone the way of the dodo here.

Content delivery in this country is stuck in the dark ages, hence we are quite prolific in piracy. It's not an excuse it is just the way it is here.

There are several online movie options in Australia (In America they are $1( here they are $5.99 (bigpond for example for the latest dvd release).  you don't need subscription tv and I am not too sure what brochure you are reading but there is more than one option and the packages usually start at $50 a month.  However that is irrelevant as I am talking about online content.  New release movies from a shop can be anything from $12 to $30 they are not ALL $30.   Please check your facts.  Average land-line internet connection in Australia suburbs is 15Mb/s and median speed for Aus. is 9Mb/s.  Don't believe all the whining and bullshit about Australian internet. 

Scroll down to distribution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscription_television_in_Australia

I can see at least three options for you in Sydney.

For internet speed read this, this is from 5 years ago, and speeds have increased since then:

http://thebernoullitrial.wordpress.com/2009/03/17/median-adsl2-broadband-speed-in-australia/

Dear governments of the world, please listen. Ahem,

YOU

CANNOT

FIGHT

THE

INTERNET

YOU

WILL

ALWAYS

LOSE.

That is all.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If this works I reckon it will be very beneficial as many people pirate just because it's too difficult to access legally. I dislike piracy and I think this'll hopefully be good

PC Specs: - *NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange* - *AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz* - *CM Hyper 212 EVO* - *Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3* - *Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mHz* - *Gigabyte 780 Ti* - *Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD* - *ModXStream PRO 600W PSU* -

Monitors: 2x BenQ GL2450 and 1x Some 22" 1080P Tv

I think this is a very good idea in trying to clamp down persistant pirater's and a good warning to the upcomin generation. However the underlying problem seems to be brushed aside, the absurd prices of Movies, films etc. I have a hefty collection dating back from way back when but it has dwindled somewhat over the last 3-4 years as the asking prices of New movies, tv series is just insane in the UK.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

If this works I reckon it will be very beneficial as many people pirate just because it's too difficult to access legally. I dislike piracy and I think this'll hopefully be good

I don't get this logic. If people pirate because of a distribution problem, why not spend money solving that instead?

Things like piracy and AdBlocking exists because there exist problem with the current model. You should not ignore these issues and punish the people trying to fix them. What you should do is try to correct these issues so that people have fewer and fewer reasons to pirate to begin with.

I don't get this logic. If people pirate because of a distribution problem, why not spend money solving that instead?

Things like piracy and AdBlocking exists because there exist problem with the current model. You should not ignore these issues and punish the people trying to fix them. What you should do is try to correct these issues so that people have fewer and fewer reasons to pirate to begin with.

What I'm referring to is the fact that they're going to spend money (Can't get exact quote) to promote services(I thought it was make) that are good for accessing this stuff legally. And I meant in the way I imagine it should work based on what they've said :)

PC Specs: - *NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange* - *AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz* - *CM Hyper 212 EVO* - *Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3* - *Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mHz* - *Gigabyte 780 Ti* - *Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD* - *ModXStream PRO 600W PSU* -

Monitors: 2x BenQ GL2450 and 1x Some 22" 1080P Tv