[Bulid Log] Poisoned Apple - A Mac that can play games

HellaflushMcSwaggins

So I have wanted to do this for a few months now and I started to search for the case that I have always wanted to have :The Apple Mac Pro case.Two days ago I found one for sale for $50,so I bought it, an got it delivered today.

My plan for this build is the following :

Find a cheap mATX case->Get the motherboard tray from it->Cut the area of the Mac Pro case where the motherboard tray/IO Shield will stay->Get rid of the scratches on the case->Paint the case->Mount the PSU/HDD/DVD-RW/Motherboard/GPU inside the case->Get the power button working->Get 2 USB ports for the front I/O->Replace the two ports on the bottom of the front I/O with a reset switch and a switch for the DVD-RW to open.

This is how it looked when it arrived

3UueSDK.jpg

Fresh out of the packaging

Jy2x5CV.jpgFtplCMV.jpg8oKYurk.jpgflSXZ3X.jpg

Love the locking mechanism of the side panel

mFOR0Yz.jpg

Tried to test fit the DVD-RW and HDD

Hq8Us9I.jpg

Welcome to GhettoHDDMountingTips

xuR83Wz.jpgSitting on my desk

UJeKk9H.jpg

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

I like the case but i would not be able to handle people thinking it was a mac 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

I like the case but i would not be able to handle people thinking it was a mac 

I have been pronouncing it wrong this whole time.

I should be studying.

I mean if you can manage it properly I would recommend the drives being mounted in the original drive sleds.

MP09HDCARN.jpg

Could help with the drive management :lol:

If you want to ask me about the Mac Pros case then give me a shout as I actually own a Mac Pro 3,1

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

why didnt you get prodigy ? its allready painted and looks far better :( not to mention all features, rubber and filters

son-i-am-dissapoint-thumb.jpg

why didnt you get prodigy ? its allready painted and looks far better :(

son-i-am-dissapoint-thumb.jpg

Give me $110 and I'll get a Prodigy :)

I mean if you can manage it properly I would recommend the drives being mounted in the original drive sleds.

MP09HDCARN.jpg

Could help with the drive management :lol:

If you want to ask me about the Mac Pros case then give me a shout as I actually own a Mac Pro 3,1

I don't have the original drive sleds, but I am going to make a shroud to cover the PSU, HDDs and DVD-RW, since no one would enjoy the sight of a non-modular PSU

I don't have the original drive sleds, but I am going to make a shroud to cover the PSU, HDDs and DVD-RW, since no one would enjoy the sight of a non-modular PSU

Should be able to pick them up quite cheaply (Just checked pricing and compared to the case for $50USD they are $59USD May not seam worth it but they are good. and if someone has done it before you could get the wiring harness too.

However it depends on what way your going with this build. Keeping it as apple designed as possible or going your own way with it. What ever way your going with it will look awesome!

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

is cheap.

you will spend on modding this case, price is out of the equation.

but then again the design and construction is great so its great moddable chassis so i guess its ok if you wanna work around it

Should be able to pick them up quite cheaply (Just checked pricing and compared to the case for $50USD they are $59USD May not seam worth it but they are good. and if someone has done it before you could get the wiring harness too.

However it depends on what way your going with this build. Keeping it as apple designed as possible or going your own way with it. What ever way your going with it will look awesome!

I am going to have it as clean as I can, it will be painted green and black and I will try to make a shroud for cable management, kind of cover the rest of the interior except mobo and gpu, going to have to get some extensions though, because the 8 pin cable is too short and the 24 pin will be a bitch to hide

UPDATE 1:

Just dismantled the case into pieces and I have to say that I have never seen such great build quality in a computer case, going to try to find a way to remove this tray without damaging it:

PdeIeeD.jpgOWcjiCR.jpg

Small UPDATE:

Today I cut the area where the I/O shield is going to sit, still needs some sanding and something to fill up the gap between the I/O shield and the back panel.

Also I test fitted the motherboard/GPU and PSU and they fit alright, need to make a motherboard tray out of some plastic/aluminum composite that will also cover the area where the cables will meet with the extensions..Might get the extenisons ordered next week(custom made).

OJL20xn.jpgPQysHfX.jpgIluhfOv.jpgEVYWux5.jpgSuch case much mod many doge wow

XUotj8W.jpg

• 1 year later...

UPDATE!

So today I got a "new" pc for like 3$ without ram or HDD to use as a donor case.It also came with an old ATI GPU

Now I have an I/O plate thingy, I could also use the motherboard tray but I am not sure about that.

This means that I am now able to move on with the project and actually be able to make a design that I actually know if it's going to look shit or nah.

More updates will follow, hopefully. Now I'll let you take a look at them photos(I know they're not many but they exist)

yXp929T.jpg  

3Mqzqki.jpg 

u0Zb2EJ.jpg  

bKMnBAK.jpg 

Kill that psu!!!!!

I think it's already dead