High quality headphones for less than $90/€70

jack.recher69

My budget now is € 85, which is around $ 100.

I am looking for new headphones since my cat chewed on the cable of my Siberia v2 so that one ear cuff is not working anymore. Mostly it's for listening to music and watching anime shows on my laptop. Occasionally I play some RPGs though. Preferable comfortable closed or semi-opened (I like the former more though) over ear headphones. Considering I am not an audiophile it kind of is difficult more to explain this. Maybe my cat damaged the wires more than I though or the Siberia v2 really lacks clarity. Today I tried on Microsoft's LifeChat LX-1000 and was impressed that I could hear with more details than on my € 60 headset. For some reason I am starting to dislike the bass of the v2 but don't want to get entirely rid of it. Basically I want more clarity and precision (and maybe some bass) without sacrificing comfort.

Thanks in advance!

Superlux 668b, i have had them for a couple of weeks and i really like them and they feel solid/ and you do get the removable cable.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Superlux 668b, i have had them for a couple of weeks and i really like them and they feel solid/ and you do get the removable cable.

Except they're open, and he wants a closed back one.

So either he can go over to something a bit more expensive, consider the 681 Evo, or he can reconsider wanting closed headphones.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Superlux does have closed headphones (like HD660) but I have no idea if they are as good as the semi-open ones everyone recommends (HD668b & HD681 EVO). Superlux usually also offers bass heavy ("b" at the end) and flat response ("f" at the end) models of most of their headphones.

Was the Siberia v2 semi-opened? It leaked sound anyway.

Let's add semi-open to the list for now

I don't think I will like them.

Already had one pair of headphones which sounded like razer blades, it hurts.

If you're looking for clarity, in that price range, I'd suggest the audio technica's line, something like the AD500x or AD700x. They're full open back, but they sure got that clarity (relative to the price range, of course). Or try the Pioneer SE-A1000. It's supposed to sound similar to the AD500x, but cheaper....

Increased my budget to € 85 (more or less). I like the AKG K-240

With some minor mods the Superlux HD681 can sound very good. I have a pair of heavily modded ones myself:

1.JPG

Since the picture was taken, I added a leather headband, otherwise they look pretty much the same.

If you get a pair of these, do not peel of the sticker behind the cushions, that will make the highs even more piercing.

is that a balanced connection?

They are terminated into a mini-jack, so no not on these :) Not planning to do that either as they get borrowed a lot from friends.

what is the reason you want closed back headphone? i used to love closed back but once i tried super open headphone like grado i never look back.

what is the reason you want closed back headphone? i used to love closed back but once i tried super open headphone like grado i never look back.

Privacy otherwise I would go with fully open ones.

You should go for the HyperX Cloud/Takstar Pro80, sure they are 9 bucks more, but they are really at the sweet point of where you get the most bang for the buck.

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

So you trust reviews from 12 year olds who have no idea what they are doing?

ATH M30x/40x?

Sennheiser Hd 280 Pro?

Shure SRH440?

Thanks for your answers. So which one of this headsets would be the best of this kind of music:

Maybe it's important so mentation that my onboard soundcard is ALC8888 and I don't want to use any kind of AMP & Co.

- AKG K-240 Studio
- Zumreed ZHP-005
- Superlux HD681/668
- Beyerdynamic DTX 910
- Audio Technica ATH-M30/20/10x
- Audio Technica ATH-M40x (Over budget limit)

- Sony MDR-7506 (Really, really Over budget limit)

Privacy otherwise I would go with fully open ones.

then i will go for ath m20, mostly because comfort and weight. they are made from plastic so feel a bit cheap, but pretty solid sound. clear and a bit bright sound signature from ATH.

i also watch anime on my daily life and i recomend you using open back though. it's more lively for movie in general.

(i also understand why you don't want sound leakage tho  ;) )

Because 'Murica!

I don't think Amazon will ship those overseas, however. If you have any American internet friends maybe they can act as an intermediary?