Over priced computers

why do people always assume they can build a computer for 600-700 and sell it for 1,200. I see it all the time on craigslist which is in a way understandable because people don't know what looking at and will just buy most anything. The thing I find shocking is the classified section here. I take it most of the people on this forum know what they are looking at and where to find cheap parts. So why are people doing the same thing on here. I saw this post the other day and this kid was like I know you can find the parts cheaper online but this one is built and he is charging like an extra 500 bucks lol.

Just a little rant lol

Anyone got any stories of people trying to scam them over the internet?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

People are greedy. I can't think of any other reason.

I just think its funny how they come to a technology forum and try the same thing lol

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

ALIENWARE!!!!

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

I just think its funny how they come to a technology forum and try the same thing lol

It seems odd. However some people come onto a tech forum for help/support and may not know anything about computer hardware.

I resell my computers with 15% surcharge including shipping.
I like to be honest with my clients 

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

I've seen a few people selling their rigs for more than the price it would cost to buy the components new. . . their ignorance preys on unsuspecting first time buyers who don't know what they're buying. . . Unfortunately there's probably alot of them too 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

"Guyz i bult dis for £300, give meh £1,000! best deel eva!" I would point fingers at some companies too, but, what fun is that and the company in mind has already been mentioned. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I mean 15% isn't too bad its the whole $500 that is lol

thats steep if you are building 1k+ rig. Some shops do for 80$ difference rather if you build it yourself and some shop build you the parts you picked for 60$, some for free but so prices are bigger naturally.

"Guyz i bult dis for £300, give meh £1,000! best deel eva!" I would point fingers at some companies too, but, what fun is that and the company in mind has already been mentioned. 

There is a big difference between computer companies and people though. I mean me personally couldn't see screwing someone that bad charging 15% like @BloodWithIce is more understandable than 200-up. If there are more people coming to the PC gaming work people need to quite making them think a playable gaming rig cost $1,000-3,000.

Just low-ball them. Even if they say "no low-ballers". Never know how desperate they are. lol

Another things is people will ask quite a bit higher because they have a certain amount they would like to get and when the haggling begins, they know where the limit is and the person buying will think they're getting a good deal. Personally, I ask a bit more than I want to get and if the person wants to negotiate, I can drop the price a little. 

There is some logic to charging/asking more for a pre-built PC as the person buying is, in a way, paying extra for the convenience of not having to assemble and setup the machine. But honestly, building the PC is half the fun!!!

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

thats steep if you are building 1k+ rig. Some shops do for 80$ difference rather if you build it yourself and some shop build you the parts you picked for 60$, some for free but so prices are bigger naturally.

If someone comes to me personally I normally just help them build it.

There is a big difference between computer companies and people though. I mean me personally couldn't see screwing someone that bad charging 15% like @BloodWithIce is more understandable than 200-up. If there are more people coming to the PC gaming work people need to quite making them think a playable gaming rig cost $1,000-3,000.

The fact is that in aus the prices are way way higher and 15% is what most people charge here.

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

last pc i built for a mate i just brought parts up to a fixed amount he gave me upfront including the postage( $700 au ) then asked for $50 to put it together , he gave me $100 when i done it still worked out cheaper then buying some pre-built shop pc

That's true, though there are some companies who still charge an arm and a leg for the same product as another company with the same specs. Especially when it comes to notebooks. With the last part, I couldn't agree more. The amount of people that I would speak to whom think that PC's are either for the rich or spoiled is beyond me. It only takes a small amount of research to blow that belief out of the water. 

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

That's true, though there are some companies who still charge an arm and a leg for the same product as another company with the same specs. Especially when it comes to notebooks. With the last part, I couldn't agree more. The amount of people that I would speak to whom think that PC's are either for the rich or spoiled is beyond me. It only takes a small amount of research to blow that belief out of the water. 

That's why we need to encourage people to build there own machines and even teach them to do so. In my opinion it's an art each build is unique in it's on way and can offer astonishing beauty.

The fact is that in aus the prices are way way higher and 15% is what most people charge here.

But that's the thing it's a multi-million dollar company and have no morals. There build record in a way has justified there computer prices, at least in their laptop market. What other company offers a company care warranty with every laptop for the first year. it's awesome all the things they cover as a stock warranty for their laptops, I mean drops, spills electrical, fire and more. One of the only things they don't cover is theft.

To be fair, some companies do really good job with prebuilt computers, more even so than some builders, and especially better than some kids on craiglist :D

In UK you pay around 100$ more than if you built it yourself , but its true they trow in alot of stuff that might not be best bang/buck and that you wouldnt buy if you bought it yourself, just because they hook up with companies.

why do people always assume they can build a computer for 600-700 and sell it for 1,200. I see it all the time on craigslist which is in a way understandable because people don't know what looking at and will just buy most anything. The thing I find shocking is the classified section here. I take it most of the people on this forum know what they are looking at and where to find cheap parts. So why are people doing the same thing on here. I saw this post the other day and this kid was like I know you can find the parts cheaper online but this one is built and he is charging like an extra 500 bucks lol.

Just a little rant lol

Anyone got any stories of people trying to scam them over the internet?

So you place no value on your knowledge or the time it takes to order, assemble, and test a new rig?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

That's why we need to encourage people to build there own machines and even teach them to do so. In my opinion it's an art each build is unique in it's on way and can offer astonishing beauty.

I'd happily build a friend's PC, if they did the research for the parts and how much it would cost just to get them into PC gaming and understand that it doesn't need a huge bank account. 

To be fair, some companies do really good job with prebuilt computers, more even so than some builders, and especially better than some kids on craiglist :D

In UK you pay around 100$ more than if you built it yourself , but its true they trow in alot of stuff that might not be best bang/buck and that you wouldnt buy if you bought it yourself, just because they hook up with companies.

I hear Scan's service isn't bad, but I wouldn't have any first hand experience as I never had a company build my machines. 

But that's the thing it's a multi-million dollar company and have no morals. There build record in a way has justified there computer prices, at least in their laptop market. What other company offers a company care warranty with every laptop for the first year. it's awesome all the things they cover as a stock warranty for their laptops, I mean drops, spills electrical, fire and more. One of the only things they don't cover is theft.

in no way am I trying justify their prices in no way, but again their are a company so can charge whatever they want.

I'd happily build a friend's PC, if they did the research for the parts and how much it would cost just to get them into PC gaming and understand that it doesn't need a huge bank account. 

If you want it to match console fps it doesn't cost much at all, it's when you want 60 and above it gets expensive lol.

If you want it to match console fps it doesn't cost much at all, it's when you want 60 and above it gets expensive lol.

And with a few different ways of doing so.